372: Rick Wilcox - At Home In His Own Theater

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Wells

372: Rick Wilcox - At Home In His Own Theater

Postby Scott Wells » August 4th, 2017, 9:38 am

This week we catch up with Susan and Rick Wilcox who are in their 19th year in the Wisconsin Dells performing magic in their own theater. I have known Rick for many years and have wanted to record a chat with him for quite some time. Not only is he a wonderful stage performer, but also he is an adept close-up entertainer. It was at the F.F.F.F. convention where I first met Rick and he returns every year. I had hoped to chat with him at this year's 4F convention, but due to unexpected circumstances, I was unable to attend this year. So I recorded a conversation with both Rick and his wife, Susan, via Skype last Spring. I wanted to release this a lot earlier than this week, but other pressing podcasts kept pushing it back. Well, it's finally here.

Rick talks about what all goes on in the day of the life of an illusionist and the trials and tribulations of securing, remodeling and maintaining a 500 seat theater all year long, even when it is "out of season" and the tourists aren't coming. He also talks about scripting, rehearsing, and developing his show and how it is always being refined. Of course the "real secret" is marketing and how they sell tickets and promote their show to put butts in the seats.

You can watch a promotional video of Rick's show, see some promo shots, read the blog, get some links, listen to the podcast online, and download the MP3 file at: https://www.themagicwordpodcast.com/sco ... ick-wilcox

It is getting near the end of the summer tourist season, but it is not too late to see his show. If you are anywhere near the Wisconsin Dells, then you owe it to yourself and your family to enjoy a LIVE family magic show in a proper theatrical setting.

This week we welcome Jeffrey Davis as the newest member of the Friends of The Magic Word. Thank you, Jeffrey for your support and commitment to helping The Magic Word stay online with new, regularly scheduled podcasts.

And congratulations to the three winners of last week's contest who won a copy of "Club Deception" by Sarah Skilton: Abe Carnow, Martin Vickerman, and Ridgely Hunt. Congratulations, guys, and thank you for entering the contest. Watch for upcoming contests on The Magic Word!
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Return to “Buzz”