Mike O'Dowd Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Mike O'Dowd Has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 5:35 pm

This came unexpectedly. Mike was a great guy and a real friend when you needed a hand. More details to follow.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP: Mike O'Dowd

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 9th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Very saddened by this news. Mike was a terrific guy. A book collector who was selling off his enormous collection at excellent prices, Mike was a friend and student of Francis Carlyle (and Mike never forgave the individual who, as a "joke," spiked Carlyle's soft drink with the liquor that led to the binge that ultimately killed him). Rest in peace, Mike.

erdnasephile

Re: Mike O'Dowd Has Died

Postby erdnasephile » May 9th, 2017, 7:08 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. O'Dowd at SAM/IBM--heck of a nice guy. RIP, Sir.

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » May 13th, 2017, 12:49 pm

RIP, Mike. Met Mike at Devoe's Magic Den. Saw him perform with his wife twice, I believe. O'Dowd & Sondra, good stuff and good memories.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 13th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Never had the pleasure of going to Devoe's, or of meeting Mike O'Dowd, but from what I've heard from others, it was kind of like the Tannen's of the Mid-west (the old Tannen's, that is), as far as being a hang-out for magicians. My understanding, through the grapevine, is that Mike used to hang out there with the likes of Don Alan, Brother John Hammon, John Mendoza, Jay Marshall, and Bud Deitrich, to name but a few. One can only imagine the sessions and interactions that transpired among those illustrious characters.

RIP, and sincere condolences to family & friends.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2017, 2:36 pm

He was supposed to be a dealer at the upcoming IBM/SAM convention.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » May 15th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of Mike's passing.

Mike was always someone I checked with whenever I was looking for hard to find books. I finally met Mike in person for the first time at the 2012 Magic Collectors' Weekend in Chicago. He gave me an absolutely incredible deal on five out-of-print titles that I had been seeking for some time - all of which were in pristine condition.

From my all-too-brief interaction with him in 2012, he seemed like someone who truly loved the art of magic and was eager to pass that love along. I had always hoped that someday I'd get another chance to see him in person again.

My condolences to Mike's family and RIP, Mike.

prodigy

Postby prodigy » May 16th, 2017, 2:48 am

I purchased several items from Mike over there years. He was always kind, helpful and generous with his time. He will be missed. RIP Mike.

Return to “Buzz”