RIP: Paul Diamond

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP: Paul Diamond

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Just heard the news that now Paul Diamond has died. From Maria Ibanez:

"The magic world is all the poorer today with the loss of not just a personal and loved friend, but also a legend of the magic world. News comes today of the passing of my friend Paul Diamond. Past owner of a large magic store in Ft. Lauderdale, magician, creator, manufacturer and friend, Paul has now gone on to join his beloved wife Andi who preceded him in death. Certainly he will be performing beggars coins and other of his wonderful effects with use of his reels as he entertains in that largest of all theaters. May he rest in peace."

Paul was an important part of my education in this craft. In my youth, whenever I was at a convention he was at—usually when I was at a convention, since, back then, Paul went everywhere—he let me work behind his booth. Paul was an incredible pitchman, always had the big crowd around his booth. He paid me, but I would always ending up spending my salary on stuff; and it always worked out break even. Imagine that. Thank you, Paul, for everything.

Gregory Schultz

Re: RIP: Paul Diamond

Postby Gregory Schultz » May 7th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I am very sorry to hear that. I used to love watching him demonstrate magic and tell stories. I also remember Andi telling stories about Mohammad Ali who was a customer of theirs.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 7th, 2017, 6:54 pm

i had no idea he was alive.

always enjoyed seeing him do his thing. one of magic's great 'characters'.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 7th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Wow! I also had no idea he was still alive. I remember seing him as an early teen almost 30 years ago at a magic convention and he could hardly get up a few steps. To have made it this long is quite amazing, just as amazing as he was to watch at the dealers table.

There were two dealers that I loved to see when I attended the magic conventions in my youth: Al Cohen and Paul Diamond. RIP.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm

I too started my love of magic via Paul's shop in South Florida. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to track him down for a MagicNewswire.com interview which can still be heard here:

http://bit.ly/MrHumble

You will be missed Mr. Humble.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 7th, 2017, 11:14 pm

One of those larger than life characters - brimming with personality, very skilled, and a born salesman! I met Paul in his magic store in Ft. Lauderdale many years ago. He demonstrated the trick where the spectator apparently pushes a quarter through a piece of rubber (dental dam) stretched tightly across a shot glass and secured around its circumference with a rubber band. I'm sure many of our members are familiar with it. The quarter seems to go visibly right through the rubber and hit the bottom of the glass with a resounding ring. I was astonished and couldn't get my money out quick enough. I have amazed and baffled a lot of really smart people with that trick over the years. I performed it as recently as a couple months ago, but alas, my last piece of dental dam went by the wayside. The greatest close up penetration trick I have ever seen, or performed. I need to get some more dental dam from my good friend who's a dentist in San Francisco...

RIP Paul!

performer

Postby performer » May 8th, 2017, 6:07 am

I had forgotten all about that Dental Dam trick. It truly is astonishing. I have been doing a lot of dental trade shows recently. This trick would be a natural for them. I have no idea why I never thought of it. Thank you Alfred for reminding me of it. As for Paul Diamond I met him once years ago when I was in Florida working with Ripleys International. I remember purchasing the Mike Rogers book from him. He was very helpful advising me on travel, hotels and suchlike. I also remember him telling me that Bev Bergeron was the best magician in Florida.

I do know he came up to Canada years ago to sell magic at the Canadian National Exhibition and did not do very well. He complained that he was outflanked by the famous svengali pitchman David Walker who he alleged had all sorts of shills in the crowd. In order to have been affected he must have been working quite near to David since the grounds are huge. I know David did very well there since I knew his supplier very well who confirmed the story. I find it interesting and not in the least surprising that a pitchman selling only a deck of cards can outsell and take in more money than someone with an entire range of magic on display.

You would be very surprised to know how much money can be taken in with nothing else for sale except a tiny pack of cards. I still remember when I worked in Ripleys Odditorium in Blackpool that on the quiet days before the season really got started I would take in more money with the svengali deck than the entire museum would in admission money! The assistant manager told me that in confidence.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 8th, 2017, 11:18 am

The trick with dental dam was invented by Lubor Fiedler in the late 1950s.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 8th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Here is a link to a discussion of the dental dam trick on the Genii Forum in 2003:
viewtopic.php?t=3876

Performer, you are most welcome, and I am certain you will blow minds tremendously with the trick, as I am sure you are already aware, when you start performing it again. I think it is one that has really been overlooked by many magicians, as the reaction of laymen (and any magician not familiar with it) is PURE UNADULTERATED ASTONISHMENT. Especially since it is they who are pushing the coin through. Personally I like to use a quarter, because quarters hit the bottom of the glass with much greater force than a dime or penny, enhancing the effect - especially the older quarters minted before the ones with the States on them, as they are substantially heavier. I also found out the hard way not to choose a spectator with long nails, which is most women and some men, as well. The result was ugly...

I believe Michael Ammar has been quoted as saying that the Multiplying Rabbits is the greatest close up trick ever invented and it is super strong indeed when performed well - but this one is certainly in the running...

Anyway, so as not to get too far off the track of what this thread is primarily about, I extend my condolences to Paul Diamond's loved ones.

performer

Postby performer » May 8th, 2017, 10:30 pm

The first time I saw the Dental Dam trick I was utterly astonished by it and couldn't fathom the secret at all.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » May 8th, 2017, 11:27 pm

The very first time I saw the dental dam trick was in a Fun Shop in center city and the owner made it himself using cut up rubber gloves. He called the trick Osmo.

The next time I saw it was in the magic shop I ended up working in and they supplied the buyer with actual sheets of dental dam. Needless to say, it looked much better! I demo'd it hundreds of times and it sold with every performance. Visually, it's a beautiful thing!

I have my own presentation of the effect and it really does matter what kind of glass you use.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 9th, 2017, 1:10 am

Is there a way to set it up in view of the spectator? I've never done it, but it always looked like something that you'd have to bring out with the works all set up.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 9th, 2017, 1:13 am

Andi Gladwin published a clever version in his first (or one of his first) Magicana columns (I think--not near my stack of Genii's at this time). The routine allows one to show the penetrating coin as separate from the rubber sheet.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 4:13 am

I am now wondering how practical it would be at Dental trade shows after all. The dentists might figure out how the trick is done since they are familiar with the stuff. And the other problem is that you have set it up for every show. I am not sure I can be bothered with that since I do one show right after another hardly stopping. That is what grafters do.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 9:04 am

Because of the setup preparation, it's not practical for repeated performances. Setting up several of these for performances won't work either because of a reason I won't divulge here.

Therefore, may I suggest that it's not a pitch trick by any means.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 9:18 am

Indeed. There would have to be a 5 minute break between shows. This is possible at a trade show but not when pitching. Mind you, I would never sell this trick to the public anyway. There is enough exposure around today as it is. The svengali deck has always been different because it is an entry level trick.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » May 9th, 2017, 11:43 am

I agree that the "Gozinta" or whatever it was called trick is visually impressive, but I will never forget Clarke Crandall's hilariously cynical references to it in TOPS magazine in the early 1960s. He considered it essentially a rip-off, just a piece of "dental mastic" and a set of instructions. Great reading if anyone wishes to have a good laugh and reacquaint himself with The Senator. I miss his candid musings terribly, and I consider you to be our modern day equivalent Mark!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 12:21 pm

jkeyes1000 wrote:I agree that the "Gozinta" or whatever it was called trick is visually impressive, but I will never forget Clarke Crandall's hilariously cynical references to it in TOPS magazine in the early 1960s. He considered it essentially a rip-off, just a piece of "dental mastic" and a set of instructions. Great reading if anyone wishes to have a good laugh and reacquaint himself with The Senator. I miss his candid musings terribly, and I consider you to be our modern day equivalent Mark!

It really isn't a rip-off by any means! Receiving an envelope with a short length of thread and a brief sheet of instructions is a rip-off in my opinion. I do understand that some may argue that you are provided with an effect, method, and something to get the job done but you certainly couldn't have convinced me of that when I was 8 years old, ordered the trick from the Johnson Smith Company and received just that. I wanted something more substantial for my 25 cents. :D

This discussion could easily lead to a new and very interesting thread I suspect!

By the way, I enjoy Mark in this forum and respect his vast experience. If he ever makes it to my neck of the woods, perhaps we could have some kind of beverage and yuck it up for a while.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » May 9th, 2017, 12:37 pm

No disrespect to Paul Diamond (whom I never met), but yes, this thread could easily be rewoven into a dental dam encomium. Having just now read up on it, I find its history fascinating. There is even a PDF explaining the science of it in great detail online. I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, but I had the impression that it was marketed with a name like "Gozinta" in the early 1970s, although the version that Mr. Crandall criticised was undoubtedly "The Dam Deception", circa 1963.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Both the dental dam trick and the "Gozinta" boxes are the creation of Lubor Fiedler.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 12:54 pm

If you know how to setup dental dam for the trick, it can be done in less than a second.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 12:56 pm

I suspect that after Lubor came up with it, many copies came out. One reason being that it is so easy to copy. Nothing needs to be made actually. The substance and some brief instructions will do it.

Over the years, I have seen several versions (copies) available.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If you know how to setup dental dam for the trick, it can be done in less than a second.

Indeed but you would have to turn away from the spectators to do that or perhaps be able to go behind a platform on your table to do that.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 1:30 pm

If it is less than a second then there is no problem. A tiny bit of misdirection should be easily acheived. But how can it be done in less than a second? I did read of a method where you use a thin sherry glass or something but I can't be bothered with extra stuff like that.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 1:37 pm

A few seconds actually. Another issue which should be considered is the wear and tear on the substance. Constant use will eventually tear it. You can always have a backup there just in case. Also, I can tell you that it works best when first broken in just a bit.

You can always try it and see what happens. Not a big investment buying the dental dam. By the way, it comes in a variety of different thicknesses. You need the exact useable thickness or it will be useless.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm

I've never encountered a piece of dental dam in the color white or gray that would not work for this trick.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 1:50 pm

It it's too thick, it won't work. I know this because my dentist gave me some to try out and it was too thick and simply would not do that thing it's supposed to do.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Where does one purchase dental dam?

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 2:20 pm

performer wrote:Where does one purchase dental dam?

I suspect that the easiest way (if you are not a dentist) would be to ask your dentist to order you some. First, see if he/she has an assortment for you to choose from. My dentist had only one kind unfortunately.

Any other way would be like pulling teeth! :lol:

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 9th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Is there a way to set it up in view of the spectator? I've never done it, but it always looked like something that you'd have to bring out with the works all set up.

it's the method reset that's challenging even when you have a bottle nearby.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 2:48 pm

I have no desire to visit the dentist just to find out where I can buy dental dam. Where do the magic dealers get it?

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:Is there a way to set it up in view of the spectator? I've never done it, but it always looked like something that you'd have to bring out with the works all set up.

it's the method reset that's challenging even when you have a bottle nearby.

Please allow me to suggest that instead of a bottle, use a cork. It's much easier that way!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm

performer wrote:I have no desire to visit the dentist just to find out where I can buy dental dam. Where do the magic dealers get it?

Either from a dentist or a dental supply company I suspect.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 3:00 pm

I suppose I will have to pretend I am a dentist if I go the wholesale route and have to purchase a large quantity. I am going completely off the idea.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 9th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Quite frankly, there are so many other effects which are so much easier to ready and demo repeatedly, I don't know why anyone would get stuck on this dam thing! :D

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » May 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm

I posted this info on the Forum back in 2009:

John M. Dale wrote:I looked up Patterson Dental Supply online, but they don't have a location very close to me and, although they do sell online, the registration to get an account in order to place an order had required fields that I couldn't fill in because I'm not a dentist (or other dental professional) so I gave up on Patterson (there might be a way around this if you call them, I was too lazy to do that).

Googling "Dental Supplies" I found Pearson Dental Supplies. They have an option to order online with a credit card without setting up an account. When I placed the order, there was a required field that threw me for a second for "Title" after "Name." I thought about my real life title (Environmental Engineer) but, since I was ordering these Dams for magic, I put "Magician." Since there were other fields (non-required) for Dental License No. Business Name, etc., I wasn't sure If they would sell to someone outside of dentistry but I got an email response for my order & the dams arrived 4 days later. No questions asked. Total price $35.53 for 2 boxes of 36 dams each. ($14.25/box+$7.03 shipping).

I am curious about one thing. I wonder if someone in their order processing department saw "Magician" in the title box and said to him/herself, "Another magician? What the hell do they do with all these dental dams?"

I just looked at Pearson's site and I don't see any changes except they have a $50 minimum for credit card orders so you'd probably need to order 3 boxes (maybe 4 if the shipping cost doesn't count towards the minimum) to meet the minimum (You have to log in to see prices before you order now so I don't know the current price but I assume if you choose the dams that you'll see the price when you go through the checkout procedure.)

Be aware that the dams most dentists are now using are nitrile not latex. Nitrile will work but isn't as "stretchy" and more prone to breaking (& doesn't seem to be as transparent.) From my experience, I've found that gray latex medium thick seems to work best. I ordered HYGENIC DENTAL DAM (6" x 6") in dark gray medium thick. Coincidentally, there is a "Buy 3 get one free promo code" going on this product at the moment.

JMD

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 9th, 2017, 4:26 pm

You don't need a bottle, cork, or anything else to set the coin up. Balance the coin on your second or third fingertip and stretch the damn out with the thumbs and fingers of both hands. Your finger pushes the coin upward. That's how I've done it for 50 years.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You don't need a bottle, cork, or anything else to set the coin up. Balance the coin on your second or third fingertip and stretch the damn out with the thumbs and fingers of both hands. Your finger pushes the coin upward. That's how I've done it for 50 years.

Yes. That is the way I used to do it. The trouble was that the bloody coin kept falling off my finger so I gave up.

As for Patterson's I know exactly who they are and have even had correspondance with them over other matters. I see them at all the dental trade shows. They are a very major company in the dental business. I don't know Pearsons though. I may look into them.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » May 10th, 2017, 6:06 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:You don't need a bottle, cork, or anything else to set the coin up. Balance the coin on your second or third fingertip and stretch the damn out with the thumbs and fingers of both hands. Your finger pushes the coin upward. That's how I've done it for 50 years.

I found that to be the easiest way (for me). Regardless of whether there is a bottle/cork/whatever handy.

Return to “Buzz”