Coin work in American Gods

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jonathan Pendragon

Coin work in American Gods

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 1st, 2017, 12:13 am

Does anyone know who worked on the series "American Gods" advising on the character driven coin work including a "unique" miser's dream segment? I am huge Gaiman (the author of American Gods, he is a fan of magic) fan and now Bryan Fuller thrown in, what could be better. Very original and dark, be warned, this ain't the Avengers.

Jonathan Pendragon

Re: Coin work in American Gods

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 1st, 2017, 12:28 am

For the Disney fanatics that populate our small universe:

I am not sure if they intended this but Peter Stormare has been seen in the previews playing a modern Czernobog. Czernobog is the inspiration for the demon in Disney's animated film Fantasia. He appears out of a mountain in the piece based on Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. The night depicted is usually considered to be either June 23rd or Walpurgisnacht - April 30th... Tonight.

Carlos Santillan

Postby Carlos Santillan » May 1st, 2017, 4:41 pm

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:Does anyone know who worked on the series "American Gods" advising on the character driven coin work including a "unique" miser's dream segment? I am huge Gaiman (the author of American Gods, he is a fan of magic) fan and now Bryan Fuller thrown in, what could be better. Very original and dark, be warned, this ain't the Avengers.

No idea who is advising for the TV Show. But for the book in which the series is based on, Gaiman has Mentioned Bobo's Modern coin magic as being his reference and getting the magic reviewed by Jamy Ian Swiss

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/03/a ... st-10.html

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2004/07/i ... riefly.asp

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 1st, 2017, 9:55 pm

Thanks for the head's up. Fuller's work on Pushing Daisies, and Dead Like Me made me very happy.

Looking forward to what American Gods has to offer.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 2nd, 2017, 7:55 am

That coin is important. As is imagining a coin and making it appear.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

CraigOusterling
Favorite Magician: All the dead ones.

Postby CraigOusterling » May 2nd, 2017, 10:48 am

Pushing Daisies was great. I grabbed the Blurays last month and binge watched the whole thing that weekend.

Looks like I have to find a way to see this American Gods show.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 5th, 2017, 2:23 am

I had never seen Pushing Daisies until West sat me down in front of the TV to binge watch season one. This was several years after it had left the air. West was worried that I would not like the show that she worshiped. I didn't say a word until after the first episode was over and then, in complete astonishment, I said "It's a masterpiece, how the hell did this ever get a green light on network TV!" Art direction, narration, acting and of course the plot, all wonderfully imaginative, flawless. West also introduced me to Neil Gaiman himself; So you can imagine how much we are looking forward to the series. I have a hunch we will be seeing more coin work.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 5th, 2017, 8:39 am

TV has its moments/seasons. You might also like Wonder Falls and the series Dead Like Me. The latter has a grim premise about reapers but otherwise comic performances.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 7th, 2017, 1:25 am

Wonder Falls is next series we binge watched. Although I am aware of the other series you mentioned, I never watched it. I am now always careful about pop culture I mention as I got clobbered for talking about the Sixth Sense years ago. Someone saw my post somewhere and then screamed at me online about recommending a film that gave them nightmares. I never actually recommended it, I just praised the narrative for not cheating the twist ending, which it doesn't. It also got an Academy award nomination for best picture and everyone knew going in it was a ghost story, so I don't feel all that bad, especially as the nightly news gives me nightmares. This said, I will warn the reader one more time that American Gods is not the Avengers, it's scary stuff and very adult. It's also the work of a genius I admire greatly so Caveat Emptor. Not all fantasy is PG.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 7th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:...screamed at me online about recommending a film that gave them nightmares. ...

maybe if we put up markers like [adult] item [/adult] and [spoiler] marker [/spoiler] we can give some notice about topics and notions.

I understand what you are saying about addressing other people's young children - the young at mind. By that I mean those who have yet to personally consider notions like nature per Tennyson, the twentieth century's acceptance of uncertainty, entropy and our modern narrative notion of computational daemons per Stross. Let's not talk about quantum information entanglement and that portrait of Dorian Grey. ;)

Most fantasy and fairy tales are not G rated but rather PG rated with implications of R and some X for those who require reminders.

@our host and mods - any suggestions about how to refer to things that affect us greatly?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 8th, 2017, 10:31 am

last night, episode two had a strange shot of a guy walking a coin. Choppy/sped up?

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 8th, 2017, 9:41 pm

I work in the film industry, I know G from PG, I was making a point... this is very, very dark fantasy, and I knew someone was going too correct me.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 9th, 2017, 12:42 am

That's "to correct."

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 9th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:I am now always careful about pop culture I mention as I got clobbered for talking about the Sixth Sense years ago. Someone saw my post somewhere and then screamed at me online about recommending a film that gave them nightmares.

Some people need to be given at birth a card that says "Life is a trigger warning".

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 9th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Agreed about suggesting/recommending items which are not age appropriate. But traipsing around other folks presumed psychological issues seems limiting. Wilful transgression into known personal issues indirectly by way of entertainment product suggestions is creepy.

In the Sixth Sense the question was whether or not it's okay to invest into caring about the perspectives of Cole or Malcolm. His mother was also having a tough time, as was Malcolm's wife. Watching folks work their way around Malcolm's big event early in the film is interesting. Deletions and distortions.

Any thoughts about that coin walking shot from episode two, in the car?

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 13th, 2017, 3:26 am

What i like is that the character development is interlaced with the coin magic. Doc Holiday, a demon in Constantine and many others have used the coin roll to express "cool" and "clever" more than mystery. Here it is a mystical running gag (Neil deserves so much better praise than my words can afford him), a thread that grows, points and teaches. It's a great use of the device.

Return to “Buzz”