On Magic in Las Vegas

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

On Magic in Las Vegas

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Here's a great podcast on SlashFilm where the guys visit David Copperfield and Criss Angel's shows and compare them. :)

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-415-free-fire/ (the portion interesting to us is "After Dark" and starts at about 1:10:55).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Moore

Re: On Magic in Las Vegas

Postby Tom Moore » May 1st, 2017, 5:33 am

For listeners familiar with the current Angel & Copperfield shows it's worth listening to this to note the huge disparity between what actually happens in performance (the subtleties, the motivation, the convincers) and what the lay audience remembers happening - there are sequences that the respective performers have spent thousands of hours developing that the lay audience completely miss the subtleties of resulting in a much weaker /remembered/ effect and conversely they credit amazing (and completely technically impossible to actually achieve) coincidences as deliberate actions by the performers.

It emphasises the need for all magicians to actively, covertly survey audiences to understand what they are actually experiencing as even the richest names in the business suffer with discrepancies between their intentions and the audiences experience.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: On Magic in Las Vegas

Postby Matthew Field » May 1st, 2017, 5:44 am

I tried. I really did. But listening to these two guys was, for me, impossible. Unorganized, a million "like, like" in their speech, giggling at themselves ... what "Wayne's World" was burlesquing.

Yeah, I know. I'm old.

Matt Field

Return to “Buzz”