Card-Shark Warehouse Fire

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Card-Shark Warehouse Fire

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 9th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Our friend Christian Schenk of Card-Shark watched his warehouse go up in flames on April 8. He vows that The Phoenix WILL rise from those flame, and we all can help. To generate the cash flow he needs, he is offering discount vouchers in various denominations that can be used at the conventions he attends (I don't know for certain, but I expect that he will be at the Genii Convention). I think this is a stupendous idea.

Here is the text of his email this morning:

Imagine for a second that a mythological story would turn into reality. Actually, this happened on Saturday night to our German warehouse when our Phoenix went up in flames!

I do not know what exactly happened yet, but I was called in the middle of the night to go to my warehouse and witness the saddest vision in my life as an entrepreneur; my warehouse was engulfed in flames.

The warehouse was attached to a huge industrial hall that was subcontracted to several parties. It seems that the fire started there and quickly reached over to my warehouse as well. I hope that in the next few days I will learn from the fire police the real source; where and why the fire started.

After dealing with the initial shock, my team and I are working hard to recover from the loss that not only included our decks of cards in all variations, but DVDs, packaging material as well as our machines that made all the magic happen to our final products. Other rare and unpublished effects were also stored there and will probably never see the light of the day.

Here are the good news that we gathered:
1. Nobody was injured!
2. Nobody died!
3. Card-Shark will certainly continue!

These are our plans for the upcoming future and you can play a role in it as well:

While the warehouse stored all kinds of originals and raw materials for our effects as well as some important machines for putting the items together; our office/shipping department was not affected as this is based in our house. Finished products are still in stock in Germany. We will need to pause serving dealers for a while as most of their products need to be finished in our warehouse. All the stock of raw material is lost completely. We have a special order page for our dealers, where we will turn off all the items and then, one by one, make them available again.

Our warehouse in the USA stores most of the items for shipment to our North and South American customers. It will come to our rescue as many finished items are stored there as well.

We may have found our new warehouse! Fingers crossed that I will get the contract. It will be bigger and well suited for future expansion. I even think it would have a perfect showroom where we will be able to hold sessions or film projects. Who knows…
We immediately will start reordering all important items so we will be back on track soon, depending on our suppliers.
Let us rise the Phoenix from the ashes as we need your help:

Please support us by placing an order. Even if you are not immediately in need of any items, you can help us by ordering a „Rise from the Ashes“ Silver, Gold or Platinum Voucher. These can be used for a future order or even at conventions. You will help support us with immediate cash flow; We will thank you with a nice discount and a present on your next purchase with us.

One last thing: please share this email with your magician friends, it would help us a lot!
The Phoenix will rise again!

Christian "Card-Shark" Schenk

So you can do yourself a favor while helping one of the great guys in our business get back into business!

He has three levels (hot linked to his website):

SILVER: 20 Euro/Dollar for 18 E/USD

GOLD: 50 Euro/Dollar for 45 E/USD

PLATINUM: 100 Euro/Dollar for 90 E/USD

Thanks!

WolfgangWollet
Favorite Magician: Moretti

Re: Card-Shark Warehouse Fire

Postby WolfgangWollet » April 9th, 2017, 9:41 pm

As a small business owner myself, I can only imagine what a devastating loss this is. To see years of hard work go up in flames like this right in front of your eyes....sickening! Even if one is fully insured (and most small business tend to be underinsured) it usually takes several months till claims are being settled. The bigger the claim, the longer this drags on. And even in the best of scenarios will Christian and his team be forced to spent many months just rebuilding where they were, not moving forward and releasing new items, basically just getting back to the Status Quo.
Like Christian said there is stock in the USA warehouse of Card Shark ready to go. Place an order thru the Card Shark website right now, get some incredible magic which comes with the good feeling of helping out our fellow magi.
Want to feel an extra 10% better, how about just placing the order and skipping the coupon?
Head on over to http://www.phoenixdeck.com and support the company that has (and I am sure will continue to) innovated magic with great cards and effects!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2017, 10:30 pm

karma is a bitch.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 10th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:karma is a bitch.

I'm not following this, and it seems somewhat of a harsh comment?

Have I missed something?

Doomo

Postby Doomo » April 10th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Yup.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

PatRobertson
Favorite Magician: Robert Houdin

Postby PatRobertson » April 13th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:karma is a bitch.

I am curious as to why you made that statement. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Pat

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Doomo wrote:Yup.

You too, Doomo. Can you shed some light about the sarcasm?

Thanks,

Pat

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm

for those who know, no explanation is necessary. for those who do not, none will likely suffice.

some people in magic fight to prevent credits from being made known. some people in magic lie about what is said to them. some people in magic care only about their own bottom line.

those people make choices.

the synchophantic magic community may do nothing, but we always have karma.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » April 13th, 2017, 4:58 pm

My order for Christian is in and I wish him all the best in rebuilding his business quickly.

In my view, he deserves a lot of credit and support for what he has built and given to the magic community within just a few years.

And even if you disagree, you may want to consider helping a magic buddy in undeserved trouble.

Remember, it's not a donation he's asking for, it's a discounted voucher.

(And no, I am not affiliated with him or his business.)
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 13th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:for those who know, no explanation is necessary. for those who do not, none will likely suffice.

some people in magic fight to prevent credits from being made known. some people in magic lie about what is said to them. some people in magic care only about their own bottom line.

I think it's unfair to put out innuendo without something to back it up, so that people could evaluate for themselves.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 13th, 2017, 6:28 pm

to what end? those who know have made up their mind and those who do not likely really don't care since much of it was hashed out in the public eye. unfortunately not all the information offered was the truth. but i won't betray confidences to serve my own ends. What i have written publicly i stand by. even when it was copied and used without permission!

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 13th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:for those who know, no explanation is necessary. for those who do not, none will likely suffice.

So, if I understood correctly...Card Shark's owner is dishonest because he knowingly didn't credit the creators of some tricks that he sells.
If that's the case, why not say it like it is...what trick(s)?

You might find it surprising, but I agree with you. I once inquired about a trick he sold, and he answered very dishonestly (i.e. "buy the trick and you'll find out"). Yep, he is all about $$$.

By the way, this is the trick... http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page ... &ArtID=278

But hey...what about this? https://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id/234 (came out in 2008!!!)

Same exact trick...(perhaps a different method) but no credit to the originator. So...yes...KARMA IS A BITCH.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 13th, 2017, 7:05 pm

i've danced this dance before. no need to rehash it here. his synchophants don't care. and those who already know, know. if we ever meet and have a moment i'm happy to share what i know. but my comment re karma was really all i needed to say.

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 14th, 2017, 10:53 pm

I did some research and found some interesting things.

Yep... I guess both Christian and KARMA are a bitch.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 14th, 2017, 11:45 pm

OK, let me get this equivocation correct.

Christian released a CARD TRICK that was missing some possible, or definitive crediting that some here feel needed to be there ... or perhaps Cardshark needed to withdraw the trick from the market ... but he didn't

And for that, the release of an uncredited, or perhaps copied CARD TRICK, he deserved to have his entire WAREHOUSE BURN DOWN?

I'm obviously out of touch with the concept of "payback" in 2017.
Thanks for bringing me up to date guys.

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » April 15th, 2017, 4:50 am

Playing Devil's Advocate for Karma:

Karma had nothing to do with his warehouse burning down and I'm pretty confident that he had insurance.

Karma comes into play when you decide to or not to buy his discount vouchers and the energy you put into that process.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » April 15th, 2017, 4:56 am

O tempora, o mores!

Magic dealers trying to actually SELL their stuff.
Magic dealers declining to share secrets or product details prior to purchase.
Magic dealers publishing rehashed or reinvented tricks or concepts (often inadvertently).

If you wanted to see the store of every magic dealer who has ever sold an unauthorized version or a copy of a trick or a copy of a copy go up in flames, global warming would become obvious even to the most hesitant President.
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 15th, 2017, 11:22 am

Roger M. wrote:OK, let me get this equivocation correct.

Christian released a CARD TRICK that was missing some possible, or definitive crediting that some here feel needed to be there ... or perhaps Cardshark needed to withdraw the trick from the market ... but he didn't

And for that, the release of an uncredited, or perhaps copied CARD TRICK, he deserved to have his entire WAREHOUSE BURN DOWN?

I'm obviously out of touch with the concept of "payback" in 2017.
Thanks for bringing me up to date guys.

i guess i'm out of touch with the concept of 'ethics' or 'honesty' or 'caring about the little guys who get screwed' in 2017

then again, perhaps you didn't get the 'equivocation' correct. Your ignorance is not my liability.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 15th, 2017, 11:24 am

Zig Zagger wrote:O tempora, o mores!

Magic dealers trying to actually SELL their stuff.
Magic dealers declining to share secrets or product details prior to purchase.
Magic dealers publishing rehashed or reinvented tricks or concepts (often inadvertently).

If you wanted to see the store of every magic dealer who has ever sold an unauthorized version or a copy of a trick or a copy of a copy go up in flames, global warming would become obvious even to the most hesitant President.

where did anyone say the wanted to see the warehouse burn?

it seems you are saying though that because some people do wrong we should be tolerant of all wrong doing.

i guess for some people being able to buy other peoples secrets is important enough that we can throw ethics out the window.

your choice.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 15th, 2017, 11:26 am

Brian Douglas wrote:Playing Devil's Advocate for Karma:

Karma had nothing to do with his warehouse burning down and I'm pretty confident that he had insurance.

Karma comes into play when you decide to or not to buy his discount vouchers and the energy you put into that process.

really, my decision not to buy something i don't need or want from someone who has a history of what many considered unethical choices will bring the wrath of karma?

nice try.

you have some dirt of something on your nose there

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » April 15th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:
really, my decision not to buy something i don't need or want from someone who has a history of what many considered unethical choices will bring the wrath of karma?

nice try.

you have some dirt of something on your nose there

Huh?

Karma has no wrath.

The decision to or not to is not Karma but rather the energy you put into it.

Did you not note the "Playing Devil's Advocate for Karma" preamble?

I don't have a horse in this race, nor do I have anything on my nose, but you do seem to have something on your shoulder though...

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 15th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I'm not going to get too philosophical here...
KARMA is nothing more than a REMINDER that we are not invincible. It is a belief that vindictive people, who go out of their way to hurt or cheat others, will end up getting screwed. Is it appropriate to wish this tragedy upon Christian? NO. But if I'm honest with myself (based on everything I read), I can't help but think that Christian is not a likeable character and that KARMA is a bitch!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 15th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Geez, can someone post a link to whatever it is that he's supposedly done?

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 15th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Geez, can someone post a link to whatever it is that he's supposedly done?

You don't have to search too hard. Look at the first post in this thread.... He is only interested in your $$$.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 15th, 2017, 5:20 pm

? A request to buy discount vouchers is your evidence of greed?

Tough crowd.

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Shalom....Jack! Ma Shlomcha?

There is much more to the story and you know it. I experienced it first hand and read similar accounts. No need to act meshuggeneh. (stupid) ;)

performer

Postby performer » April 15th, 2017, 8:54 pm

The trouble with Karma is that it is a double edged sword. And alas it can bounce back on those who are getting great joy out of other people's troubles. If various people on this thread get run over by a bus or struck by lightning tomorrow we will all know why.

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 15th, 2017, 9:11 pm

performer wrote:The trouble with Karma is that it is a double edged sword. And alas it can bounce back on those who are getting great joy out of other people's troubles. If various people on this thread get run over by a bus or struck by lightning tomorrow we will all know why.

Oh...so KARMA is real? It's not a belief??? Oh Ok... I better be careful then. Thanks for the heads up.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » April 15th, 2017, 11:43 pm

ok... I have been down this road before. It does no good to state what happened. People will jump all over anyone who says a bad thing about any major player. This is how Hank Lee operated for so long. Those of us who have had the boots taken to us for voicing complaints eventually learn to shut up. My last comment.
    RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

performer

Postby performer » April 16th, 2017, 12:09 am

PatRobertson wrote:
    performer wrote:The trouble with Karma is that it is a double edged sword. And alas it can bounce back on those who are getting great joy out of other people's troubles. If various people on this thread get run over by a bus or struck by lightning tomorrow we will all know why.

Oh...so KARMA is real? It's not a belief??? Oh Ok... I better be careful then. Thanks for the heads up.

Of course Karma is real. Cause and effect you know. Watch out for that bus tomorrow.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 16th, 2017, 9:25 am

PatRobertson wrote:There is much more to the story and you know it. I experienced it first hand and read similar accounts. No need to act meshuggeneh. (stupid) ;)

Uh...no, I don't. That's why I asked. And perhaps I should feel like a meshuggeneh, but when folks like the informed Bill Mullins ask the same question, I don't feel so stupid for asking.

Anyway, my point is when talking about another person's reputation publicly, either one should make a verifiable statement, or keep quiet about it. Since the latter is no longer an option unless Richard scrubs the thread, I think the facts should be put out there.

PatRobertson

Postby PatRobertson » April 16th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Sahlom....Jack! You think the facts should be put out there? Ok..in all fairness to your request, here is another example... (I've already mentioned the Whitewash/Daydream above)

There was a thread on the Cafe where I and others had to fight like hell to get the proper history and credits for a trick (that I won't mention) into the record. Eventually I cornered the Cafe into allowing the post to stand. Unfortunately Christian went on record with a very clever lie which had taken most of the heat off of him. But I would not feel comfortable going into more details as it would require me to betray a confidence of someone I very much respect.

The pisser is that Christian actually had the gall to crib what I wrote on the history of the effect and include it in his instructions.

That's it. I'm glad I was able to get this off my chest. ;)

Return to “Buzz”