The April Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The April Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 20th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Our 80th anniversary year here at Genii continues with our cover story on master magician David Ben and his recent show Hocus Pocus in Toronto. Magic seems to be flourishing almost under the radar with numerous shows in smaller venues. David has done many short-run productions and appeared on our cover in 2000 in an article about his show The Conjuror. He has performed several other shows since then, and he returned to the stage this winter—I sent sleuth Noah Levine to pry some words of wisdom out of Mr. Ben. He succeeded, and David also explains some titbits you’ll enjoy (with videos in our digital edition).

For those quirky folks who are intrigued by the things you can and can’t do with mirrors, Richard Wiseman and David Britland do their best to convince you that they’ve solved a long-standing mystery involving a little-known illusion of Robert Harbin’s. You can read all about “The Transparent Man” (and watch the video).

A master of mentalism, Bob Cassidy, died in February. He was a highly influential man in his field and Luke Jermay memorializes him in this issue. My longtime friend Daryl committed suicide in The Magic Castle on the same day that Cassidy died. To say that people were shocked is an understatement. We have two obituaries for Daryl, the first by Dustin Stinett and the second by Michael Ammar. I’ve included a few videos in our digital edition of Daryl performing to celebrate his style, personality, and ingenuity.

The columns commence with John Gaughan’s “Chamber of Secrets,” which plays and old tune with “The Organ Pipes.” Jim Steinmeyer returns with a lovely piece of standup magic that packs small and plays big, in which a spectator is cut in two in “Conjuring.” Two intriguing card tricks of the miracle class, with no sleights, appear in Helder Guimarães’ “Invisible Threads” and David Britland’s “Cardopolis.” The effervescent Bob Read returns to Paris, and Cristo, in “Hidden Treasures.” Eugene Burger reflects, quite wisely, on just what makes Dai Vernon still so resonant in our magical culture in “Eugene’s Notebook” (with video). Jonathan Pendragon, having decamped across the country to the wilds of Vermont, concludes his series on “Interlude” in “Panmagium.” David Kaye tantalizes you with a question he never answers, but it has something to do with the demise of the circus, in “The Expert at the Kids’ Table.” Tom Stone graces us with an absolutely astonishing Do-As-I-Do version of Oil and Water in “Lodestones”—please watch the video before reading the method and tell me that you weren’t fooled. In “Magicana” John Guastaferro describes three solid effects using playing cards, bottle caps, and a really good idea with a Torn and Restored Newspaper … watch the video first! We’re still Slanting with Jon Racherbaumer; we’re still hearing about the Magic Castle with Daniel Ulin; and this month we’re reading about new books via Kainoa Harbottle, new tricks via David Regal, and new videos from Dustin Stinett. I think we missed winter, but spring is here!

www.geniimagazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Anthony Vinson

Re: The April Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 20th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Richard, FYI, the table of contents lists both Cardopolis and Dealing With It at page 32. Cardopolis is what appears. Guess we'll wait
till May for Cross-Eyed Jacks? Or perhaps I was taken in by the April Fool's gag?!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 24th, 2017, 4:11 pm

I'm really enjoying the Bob Read columns. How did you come to get these? I'm surprised he had so many written without them having been published already.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:Richard, FYI, the table of contents lists both Cardopolis and Dealing With It at page 32. Cardopolis is what appears. Guess we'll wait
till May for Cross-Eyed Jacks? Or perhaps I was taken in by the April Fool's gag?!

If you look at the table of contents on the printed page in the magazine, it's correct. The mistake was made in preparing the text-only version of the toc for the digital edition. They'll fix it next week.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:I'm really enjoying the Bob Read columns. How did you come to get these? I'm surprised he had so many written without them having been published already.

Bill, Bob wrote about 20 of these columns. I don't know why they were never published.

He also wrote about 200,000 words for his book on Cups and Balls prints that was not published with the images! I will be publishing an electronic version of Bob's complete book on Cups and Balls prints with all of his text at some point.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 24th, 2017, 7:22 pm

The April magazine arrived in Manchester yesterday by post. It is an exceptionally good issue.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Thanks Mr. Q.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 24th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Great issue, enjoying the article about David Ben.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » March 25th, 2017, 8:38 am

Nice to see David Ben featured again Genii. He is an interesting guy who has done a lot of cool stuff in magic.

Also - any updates on the MAGIC magazines going online?

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » March 25th, 2017, 11:00 am

Anthony Vinson wrote:Richard, FYI, the table of contents lists both Cardopolis and Dealing With It at page 32. Cardopolis is what appears. Guess we'll wait

"Cross-Eyed Jacks" can be found in the "Dealing With It" column on page 32 of the March issue.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2017, 11:12 am

It takes a long time to get 301 issues of a magazine into the online archive. No further update at this time.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 25th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Jackpot wrote:

"Cross-Eyed Jacks" can be found in the "Dealing With It" column on page 32 of the March issue.

Yes, hence my comment about April Fools. Guess I should be less obtuse? :roll:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2017, 12:15 am

No April Fool's gags.

Return to “Buzz”