Daryl's Death at The Magic Castle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
performer

Re: Daryl's Death at The Magic Castle

Postby performer » February 28th, 2017, 8:34 am

Entertainers are prone to depression, nervous ailments and even suicide because they see their childhood dreams of stardom fading. Sometimes they make money and sometimes they don't. It is a feast or famine way of life and to many people the lack of stability adds to the strain. If it were any other profession that they were failing at they would simply up and leave it and go on to something else. But they delude themselves that they love this particular business. And this particular profession requires determination to succeed. Alas this determination becomes their undoing. You can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long. It doesn't make the wall any softer. So they keep trying. And trying. And trying. And like a gambler who sometimes wins and gets encouraged by the win to keep on gambling the entertainer sometimes lands a great gig and once the gig is over is back where he started and starts starving again.

They are now in conflict with themselves. They want and they don't want. They want the joy of the job but they don't want the hassle and insecurity that comes with it. They often forget the only joyful part is the (say) 45 minutes (if even that) on stage. The rest of the day is unadulterated misery travelling, doing tedious rehearsing and worst of all chasing work or moping that there is no work to chase. They are sacrificing the other 23 hours (sometimes the stress keeps them awake so those hours are wasted too!) suffering with tiny patches of relief.

They are then forced to do other work to keep alive such as marketing products to magicians or perhaps doing lectures which isn't really show business or in bad cases even have to do some temporary work outside the business. Is it any wonder they go nuts, particularly when this situation goes on year after year after year. They want to give up but they don't want to give up. That creates stress not only in the mind but in the body.That is because the mind affects the body. And they get physical illness as well as mental illness. Psychomatic disease. And when they are forced to do other things against their will the stress situation is compounded.

The culture of "Never Give Up" encourages them to continue in this madness. Sometimes they SHOULD give up no matter what the pop psychology books say. I have always loved the saying by W.C.Fields:

"If at first you don't succeed--then try, try again. And then give up before you make a damn fool of yourself!"

There are a tiny few people that make it. But even they are prone to the demons. Celebrity entertainers by the score suffer from all sorts of ailments from nervous breakdowns to alcoholism (remember Tommy Cooper) and even resort to suicide. Sometimes it is wise to release yourself from suffering and let things go but stay alive when you do it. Don't let go of your life but let go of your failed career. What is the point of being a professional magician or any kind of entertainer if the suffering exceeds the joy?

performer

Postby performer » February 28th, 2017, 8:43 am

Oh, and here is an afterthought. Sometimes you may be better off getting the best of both worlds and become a part time entertainer. That way you get the security AND the joy of performing. I once met Trevor Lewis on a railway station and asked him if he did magic full time. He said something I have never forgotten. "No. Magic is a great icing but a lousy cake" He thought part time was the way to go.

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 28th, 2017, 12:20 pm

You are in a thick, heavy fog. Stay in bed. Pull the covers over your head. Don't want to hear words of encouragement. Especially from those you love. No one understands. Nothing brings pleasure. Robbed of things you once loved to do. Hopeless and overwhelmed. Things won't change. You just want the ache in your heart and soul to go away...

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 28th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Sam Kesler wrote:You are in a thick, heavy fog. Stay in bed. Pull the covers over your head. Don't want to hear words of encouragement. Especially from those you love. No one understands. Nothing brings pleasure. Robbed of things you once loved to do. Hopeless and overwhelmed. Things won't change. You just want the ache in your heart and soul to go away...

Wow! A very powerful and moving description in just a few short sentences. My heart goes out to anyone who is experiencing this. I feel exceedingly fortunate that I never have (except for some very low moments for a temporary period after a break-up or two, although nothing that made me even begin to contemplate ending it all). I am glad and grateful that this thread was kept open because it has provided the opportunity for people to openly express their feelings about the shocking and tragic loss of Daryl, to share the challenges they themselves have faced, and of course, to share stories about this phenomenal, one-of-a-kind magician.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » February 28th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Sam Kesler wrote:You are in a thick, heavy fog. Stay in bed. Pull the covers over your head. Don't want to hear words of encouragement. Especially from those you love. No one understands. Nothing brings pleasure. Robbed of things you once loved to do. Hopeless and overwhelmed. Things won't change. You just want the ache in your heart and soul to go away...

Wow. Those are words I could not have come up with, but they are exactly how it is. And available meds only take the edge off, the don't 'cure' it, or even address the root symptoms (because the root symptoms are not well understood.)

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » February 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Roger M. wrote:Probably time to end the conjecture and the need for "details".

I agree that details of the act itself are not needed. But as I sit here in a location away from SoCal, trying to make sense of this loss, trying to get some closure, I find myself still asking where did Daryl spend his final time with himself.

I haven't been to the Castle since the 1970's and only have a vague recollection of the layout, which may have changed since then. I found a floor plan of the castle, link below, and would appreciate it if someone could tell me the number of the room which is the Parlour? If you don't want to post it in public feel free to PM me.

If anyone is wondering why a new member of the forum with only two posts would ask a question like this; I had to reactivate my account (which took a few days.) My old account was lost long ago when the boards were changed, or crashed, I can't recall which it was. My profile is still there, but I couldn't log in on it. http://forum.geniimagazine.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2263&sid=98d2c6405c0296d0f720e9ec451e3f3b

Link to magic castle floor plan:
https://images.bwwstatic.com/upload10/438600/tn-1000_11mcflplans.jpg

Thanks,

Robert

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 28th, 2017, 4:37 pm

The Parlour of Prestigitation is #7 on your map.

I believe the space referred to is behind the curtain in this picture.

----------------------------------------------

I was practicing this week and having watched some old Daryl footage as part of grieving, I just realized how much of his card handling has seeped into my bones. I can trace even simple stuff like the "dribble" to the way I do the Hofzinser Spread Cull right to him. I'm glad I got a chance to tell him that I appreciated him and his work before he passed.

That reminds me: I need to get off my duff and let other teachers know how much they have influenced me for good as well. As Mr. Lorayne is fond of saying: "It's nice to receive bouquets while you're still around to smell the roses."
Last edited by erdnasephile on February 28th, 2017, 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » February 28th, 2017, 4:42 pm

erdnasephile wrote:The Parlour of Prestigitation is #7 on your map.

I believe the space referred to is behind the curtain in this picture.

Thank you.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 28th, 2017, 5:30 pm

I hadn't seen this particular performance in quite a while. It is Daryl at his most upbeat, charming, and entertaining best. Watching it again brought a big smile to my face. The Fooler Dooler video was one of my best all-time acquisitions in magic. This presentation definitely had an influence on my own Multiplying Rabbit routine. Thanks old chap - for everything! It is the way I want to (and will) remember him...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLoqgUnUKU

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 28th, 2017, 5:58 pm

From Daryl's website ...

Daryl would have been deeply moved by the outpouring of support for his family and the many fond memories spontaneously shared by friends around the world in response to his sudden and unexpected passing on February 24th 2017.

In a magical career that spanned more than 50 years, Daryl touched tens of thousands of people around the world with his warmth, his humor, and his passion for his craft.

Daryl spent his final days performing at the Magic Castle, the iconic Hollywood venue that meant so much to him over the years, not only as a place that brings the magical arts to so many members of the public night after night but also as the home and heart of a community of magicians who have dedicated their lives to the study and performance of illusion and wonder.

Plans for a public memorial service will be announced soon. In the meantime, Daryl's wife and two young daughters wish to express their heartfelt thanks to The Academy of Magical Arts for collecting those donations from well-wishers, given in lieu of flowers to help defray immediate expenses and funeral costs.

If you would like to donate via credit card, please call Trish Alaskey at 323-851-3313 ext. 301.

Or send a check payable to "The Academy of Magical Arts, Easton Family Fund" to:

The Academy of Magical Arts
Attention Daryl Easton Family Fund
7001 Franklin Ave
Hollywood CA 90028

The family thanks you for your love and support.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2017, 10:04 am

Thanks for posting that, Mr. Jeffers. I'm glad that the AMA is doing this, and I'm glad for the opportunity to help.

Also, Marshall (another great guy) at H & R Magic Books has a fine tribute to Daryl in the latest H & R Newsletter.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 1st, 2017, 10:39 am

Too bad it's not more convenient for Daryl's friends out of the country to contribute.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 1st, 2017, 10:43 am

performer wrote:Entertainers are prone to depression, nervous ailments and even suicide because they see their childhood dreams of stardom fading. Sometimes they make money and sometimes they don't. It is a feast or famine way of life and to many people the lack of stability adds to the strain. If it were any other profession that they were failing at they would simply up and leave it and go on to something else. But they delude themselves that they love this particular business. And this particular profession requires determination to succeed. Alas this determination becomes their undoing. You can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long. It doesn't make the wall any softer. So they keep trying. And trying. And trying. And like a gambler who sometimes wins and gets encouraged by the win to keep on gambling the entertainer sometimes lands a great gig and once the gig is over is back where he started and starts starving again.

They are now in conflict with themselves. They want and they don't want. They want the joy of the job but they don't want the hassle and insecurity that comes with it. They often forget the only joyful part is the (say) 45 minutes (if even that) on stage. The rest of the day is unadulterated misery travelling, doing tedious rehearsing and worst of all chasing work or moping that there is no work to chase. They are sacrificing the other 23 hours (sometimes the stress keeps them awake so those hours are wasted too!) suffering with tiny patches of relief.

They are then forced to do other work to keep alive such as marketing products to magicians or perhaps doing lectures which isn't really show business or in bad cases even have to do some temporary work outside the business. Is it any wonder they go nuts, particularly when this situation goes on year after year after year. They want to give up but they don't want to give up. That creates stress not only in the mind but in the body.That is because the mind affects the body. And they get physical illness as well as mental illness. Psychomatic disease. And when they are forced to do other things against their will the stress situation is compounded.

The culture of "Never Give Up" encourages them to continue in this madness. Sometimes they SHOULD give up no matter what the pop psychology books say. I have always loved the saying by W.C.Fields:

"If at first you don't succeed--then try, try again. And then give up before you make a damn fool of yourself!"

There are a tiny few people that make it. But even they are prone to the demons. Celebrity entertainers by the score suffer from all sorts of ailments from nervous breakdowns to alcoholism (remember Tommy Cooper) and even resort to suicide. Sometimes it is wise to release yourself from suffering and let things go but stay alive when you do it. Don't let go of your life but let go of your failed career. What is the point of being a professional magician or any kind of entertainer if the suffering exceeds the joy?

Excellent, Mark, really insightful. Thanks.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 1st, 2017, 11:10 am

Daryl was a master of his craft. A true Close-Up Magic artist. One of the best ever.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2017, 11:20 am

Tom Gilbert wrote:Too bad it's not more convenient for Daryl's friends out of the country to contribute.

They are taking contributions by credit card through Trish Alaskey at the Magic Castle by phone. See the original notice.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 1st, 2017, 11:43 am

I saw it Richard, but I think a lot fewer will mail or call. If there were a GoFundMe or something similar it would probably attract more donations.

Inigo Montoya

Postby Inigo Montoya » March 1st, 2017, 11:59 am

Tom Gilbert wrote:Too bad it's not more convenient for Daryl's friends out of the country to contribute.

I've seen references to people sending funds through PayPal's "friends and family" option directly to magic@daryl.net, though the home page on daryl.net also points to the AMA information already posted here.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2017, 12:42 pm

I've never donated that way before. Does paypal take a cut of the money if you send that way? I want Daryl's family to get 100% of the cash.

merenkov2

Postby merenkov2 » March 1st, 2017, 1:39 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I've never donated that way before. Does paypal take a cut of the money if you send that way?

There is no charge for the 'Friends and Family' payment option in the US if you either: 1) use funds from your Paypal balance; or 2) use funds from a bank balance.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » March 1st, 2017, 1:55 pm

Is anyone aware whether you can still order products through Daryl's website. I'd like to purchase some of his products to help with the family.

performer

Postby performer » March 1st, 2017, 2:02 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:
performer wrote:Entertainers are prone to depression, nervous ailments and even suicide because they see their childhood dreams of stardom fading. Sometimes they make money and sometimes they don't. It is a feast or famine way of life and to many people the lack of stability adds to the strain. If it were any other profession that they were failing at they would simply up and leave it and go on to something else. But they delude themselves that they love this particular business. And this particular profession requires determination to succeed. Alas this determination becomes their undoing. You can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long. It doesn't make the wall any softer. So they keep trying. And trying. And trying. And like a gambler who sometimes wins and gets encouraged by the win to keep on gambling the entertainer sometimes lands a great gig and once the gig is over is back where he started and starts starving again.

Excellent, Mark, really insightful. Thanks.

Thank you Jack. Alas all this reminds me of the old saying, "All that glitters is not gold". It is something that sometimes comes out in the Tarot Cards. If you look at the Rider Waite deck and look at the seven of cups it would apply to this particular situation. There is a castle in the picture and of course that represents the Magic Castle. There are also images of jewels and luxury galore. Glittering jewels. But all that glitters is not gold since also in the picture are images of snakes, lizards and dragons. Things are not always what they seem to be.

Inigo Montoya

Re: RE: Re: Daryl's Death at The Magic Castle

Postby Inigo Montoya » March 1st, 2017, 2:29 pm

billmccloskey wrote:Is anyone aware whether you can still order products through Daryl's website. I'd like to purchase some of his products to help with the family.

There is a huge "Yes, we are open for business" message on the home page.

Http://www.daryl.net

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » March 1st, 2017, 4:15 pm

Many thanks. Just bought his 4 volume sponge balls and his 2 volume cups and balls. His teaching will live on forever.

Luigi Anzivino

Postby Luigi Anzivino » March 1st, 2017, 4:22 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Excellent, Mark, really insightful. Thanks.

No, Mark, this is ignorant and inappropriate. One's choice of career is no more responsible for their depression than it would be for their peanut allergy or suffering from lupus. This type of thinking, besides being unsupported by evidence, leads to blaming the person suffering from depression for their own illness. "If only they tried harder, or had more determination, or just shook it off"… Reminds me of this cartoon that imagines what it would be like if people treated physical illness the way they treat mental illness.

Please, if you absolutely must opine on mental illness while people are trying to grieve and remember an influential artist, at least educate yourself first.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » March 1st, 2017, 5:50 pm

Michael Ammar posted this on Facebook.

It is beautiful.

There’s a hole in the curtain. There in the Parlor of the Magic Castle; it’s hidden in one of the folds. Performers can check audiences or watch fellow performers. Sometimes Daryl or I would watch an audience for the other - gauging the response to a move or a bit of misdirection. We probably watched more performances that way than from the audience.

Friday night Daryl made a heartbreaking decision. He chose to pass on his own terms; nullifying an infinity of possible solutions or opportunities and devastating those closest to him with thoughts that maybe we could have said or done something, or with guilt over having missed any warning signs.

But there were no clues on Thursday about would happen the next day, and what did happen was nothing like the bizarre images suggested by the media. Castle security cameras revealed on that day there was no insanity, alcohol or conflicts, and no crushing anxiety or depression. Daryl was calm, collected and serene.

I believe every corner of every room was so full of joy, laughter and happiness, he simply decided to stay forever. Those who knew Daryl, understand there was a beautiful, elegant simplicity to his favorite magic methods. Well… somehow… in ways we’ll never understand, he decided there was a simple path to the peace he wanted.

There was nothing salacious, there was no turmoil; there was just a misguided desire to find peace and to stay where he could watch magic forever - through the hole in the curtain.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 1st, 2017, 7:02 pm

Got choked up again reading that one. Michael Ammar - so classy and eloquent, another of our unique and special treasures...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2017, 9:20 pm

Thank you for posting Michael's remembrance, Mr. McKay.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 1st, 2017, 10:45 pm

Thankyou.
I first met Daryl in Toronto and he was very kind and nice. He performed superb magic and he was very helpful.
I perform a little bit of his original magic and Im a proud owner of his excellent Omnibus book.
Goodbye Daryl. You are a legend and I will always miss your smile.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 1st, 2017, 10:48 pm

Thank you, Tom Stone.
Thank you, Joe McKay.
Thank you, Michael Ammar.
Godspeed, Daryl. Love ya, brother.

merenkov2

Postby merenkov2 » March 1st, 2017, 11:52 pm

There’s no easy way to make a living in this world, but I think it’s especially hard when you’re attempting it on your own. Having a partner, though, can help through the inevitable ups and downs. I think Penn & Teller have the right idea. I think Josh Jay & Andi Gladwin, Chef Anton & Whit Haydn, Dan & Dave Buck, Morgan & West, and Gregory Wilson & Danny Archer, all have the right idea. I wish I could go back in time 35 years or so, and encourage those three young Magic Hedonists (Daryl, Michael Ammar, and Paul Harris) to team up and form some sort of partnership. Each one brilliant in their own way, and each with a unique skill set, they could have created something really special and lasting. And maybe, just maybe, things might have turned out differently.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » March 2nd, 2017, 1:00 am

Daryl was indeed a master of the craft. He was the main act at one our local assembly's banquets a couple of years ago. It was amazing to watch him entertain the entire audience, magicians and non-magicians alike, for more than 30 minutes with just a few pieces of rope. Many of the effects were right out of Tarbell, but his personality and energy made them seem like something never before seen.

In one of our last conversations I asked if he had any copies of his book on the Ambitious Card stashed away, but he replied that he had only his own copy left and that he planned to hold onto it. He showed up as an audience member for tapings of the At the Table lectures, at least every one that I was able to attend. I thought that was pretty cool.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » March 2nd, 2017, 11:33 am

It's very difficult to ask for help. Pride or convincing yourself that nobody would care can prevent you from asking for much needed help.
It strikes me that so many people that have expressed grief would have gladly helped Daryl in any way that could have if he could have asked. But that is the most difficult thing for a lot of people.

If you have not seen Daryl's Essential magic series he did for Murphy's, they are well worth watching even for experienced magicians. Each volume is dedicated a standard prop and includes just about all the practical information there is on the topic. I really like them and refer to them often. Does anyone know if Daryl had filmed more of these that are yet to be released? The ad copy implies there were more in the pipeline.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 3rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

I'm with Ryan.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

Hi Richard, were you there at the Governor that Saturday when Daryl visited? His triumph had that six way cut display that impressed folks.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » March 3rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

Here in England - this is a very famous poem.

I felt like sharing it here since this thread deals with the subject of death and grief. Apologies if it seems mawkish...

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

By Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 3rd, 2017, 5:30 pm

There's a poem by Noel Coward that I quite like:

When I have fears, as Keats had fears
Of the moment I cease to be
I console myself with vanished years
Remembered laughter, remembered tears
And the peace of the changing sea

When I feel sad, as Keats felt sad
That my life is so nearly done
It gives me comfort to dwell upon
remembered friends who are dead and gone
And the jokes we had, and the fun.

How happy they are I cannot know
But happy I am who loved them so.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 3rd, 2017, 10:30 pm

After trying a couple of call to the Academy of Magical Arts that went to voice mail, I sent a Paypal direct to Daryl's address. I see now someone has set up a Gofundme page. https://www.gofundme.com/the-easton-family

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 4th, 2017, 7:40 am

Joe Mckay wrote:Here in England - this is a very famous poem.

I felt like sharing it here since this thread deals with the subject of death and grief. Apologies if it seems mawkish...

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

By Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

I love that one Joe. Thanks.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 4th, 2017, 9:40 am

I loved both poems. Thanks to Ian and Joe, and Fry, and Coward and Keats.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Jonathan Townsend Wrote: "[Daryl's] triumph had that six way cut display that impressed folks."

Yes, impressive to magicians, most all of whom do some iteration of Triumph. But a priceless weapon in the card arsenal for a magician performing for laymen. I can think of no better convincer in the entire realm of the pasteboards. It will quash the suspicions of even the most skeptical of spectators. Absolutely Brilliant, Daryl!

Return to “Buzz”