Daryl's Death at The Magic Castle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Daryl's Death at The Magic Castle

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 15th, 2017, 7:17 pm

McKay: don't post on here when you're drinking or hungover. You display a startling lack of understanding of depression. I'm now going to delete your silly posts from this thread.

Now, let me sort out this story. Derek showed me the Triumph cutting display and swore up and down that it was his. He insisted that I put it in the book under his name, and that's what happened (I had no choice). The display had actually been shown to Derek by Darwin Ortiz, but Derek was drunk and did not remember that. All he remembered was that the move popped into his head and he genuinely thought he created it.

Darwin Ortiz learned it from Jose ("Pepe") Sousa, a good friend of ours who died last year. Pepe likely showed it to Ortiz one day up at Tannen's or at the Governor Cafeteria. I can't imagine that Pepe claimed the move as his own--he traveled a lot and likely saw Daryl do it. While Pepe was from Puerto Rico, he was not gambler. I can't remember what his day job was, but he was a talented amateur magician.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 16th, 2017, 11:48 am

Thanks, for clearing up that story behind the Triumph display, Richard. It's interesting to me how these stories get started.

Question: in Daryl's first book, Stephen Minch wrote something about how Sam Schwartz was involved in spreading the rumor about a Puerto Rican gambler with regards to the display (Secrets, pg 5). Do you recall anything about this?

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » March 22nd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Online after several days they changed it to 'accidental death' and I haven't figured out what that means or meant. I'm going to check on the web to see what they've said more recently there.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 22nd, 2017, 2:24 pm

webbmaster wrote:Online after several days they changed it to 'accidental death' and I haven't figured out what that means or meant. I'm going to check on the web to see what they've said more recently there.

In terms of "information", all anybody needs is this:
http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/mec/ ... 2017-01586

Beyond that, probably give it a rest.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2017, 4:18 pm

For the LAST time: it was not an accidental death--that was an error. It was suicide. End of story.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”