343: Mike Segal Says "So Long" to Sorcerers Safari

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Wells

343: Mike Segal Says "So Long" to Sorcerers Safari

Postby Scott Wells » February 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Mike Segal was the founder and camp director of Sorcerers Safari for the past 20 years. After completing last year's week of camp, there are no plans for the camp to continue. This camp has served, taught and inspired thousands of youngsters over the years and the roster of counselors has been equally outstanding. Some of the counselors and guest instructors have included Johnny "Ace" Palmer, Shawn Farquhar, Aaron Fisher, Lee Asher, Michael Close, Brad Henderson and many, many others.

In this week's podcast, Mike talks about the evolution of the camp, some of the obstacles that he had to overcome, general logistics of running a summer camp, personnel, curriculum, and much more. This podcast is more than a template for creating a successful magic camp, but an historical recollection of how and why it worked and evolved over the years.

You can watch a video from the 2016 camp highlights, see some photos, read the blog, listen to the podcast online, and download the MP3 file at: https://www.themagicwordpodcast.com/sco ... ers-safari

We are delighted to announce that The Magic Word is now available in the Google Play Music store. Just click on the tab on our website for "Subscribe to The Magic Word" and you can follow the link to listen and subscribe on your Android device. Of course there is a link for Apple users to listen and subscribe on iTunes, too.

Congratulations to Pat Darienzo whose name was randomly drawn as the winner of our contest. Pat will receive a copy of "Danny Archer Goes Mental" which is an eBook written and offered by one of our recent guests, Danny Archer. Thanks again, Danny, for your generosity.

For those local magicians in Las Vegas, I might see you next week while I am out there with my microphone recording podcasts for later broadcast. In the meantime, if you have anyone in Las Vegas whom you would like me to contact or chat with on the podcast, then please let me know and I will do my best to schedule them on my already pretty full calendar.
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

performer

Re: 343: Mike Segal Says "So Long" to Sorcerers Safari

Postby performer » February 9th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I disapprove greatly of magic camps and all who sail in her and I have told Magic Mike this to his face. Dens of exposure launching hordes of awful children all over the place knowing how all the tricks are done. And important classic tricks too. Magic is supposed to be a SECRET art.

I wouldn't mind if these awful juveniles went on to study magic seriously but only a tiny few of them do and Mike admitted that to me. So how the hell are you supposed to amaze these brats when they get older since they know the secrets of all the tricks? At least with TV or internet exposures they forget the secrets very shortly afterwards. Not when they go to magic camp and learn the damn tricks themselves. There will soon be no laymen left at this rate.

I have had too many of these awful brats coming up to me when I am trying to relieve them of their money with the svengali deck saying, "I know that one. I went to magic camp" I try to resist telling them they should be drowned in Lake Ontario. After all I have always been known for my tact and discretion.

Dearie me no. They should be out shoplifting or breaking windows at that age instead of torturing people with their awful card tricks. There are enough atrocious "magicians" out there without adding any more.

Mike tells me that when they get older and no longer do magic they will respect magic more. Well, I don't want them to "respect" it. I just don't want them to know how it is done in the first place. I suppose the defence is that some of these urchins will go on to become experts in magic and enhance the art. And no doubt join the Magic Cafe and talk nonsense like they all do there. Well, I think enhancement of the art is to have less people doing it.

There. That should give you all something to talk about.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » February 9th, 2017, 6:27 pm

---

performer

Postby performer » February 9th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Oh good! I appear to be at the top of the list once more!

Return to “Buzz”