Julie Eng's Husband Suley Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Julie Eng's Husband Suley Has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2017, 4:33 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Julie Eng's husband, Suley, has died today. He had a major heart attack about a week ago and it's been up and down since then in the intensive care unit all the while.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Re: Julie Eng's Husband Suley Has Died

Postby performer » January 23rd, 2017, 4:35 pm

I am very sorry to hear that. My deepest and heartfelt sympathies to Julie.

magicam

Postby magicam » January 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm

I was so happy to see Julie get the recognition so richly deserved in a recent Genii, and applaud RK for once again digging deeper into the magic world to credit its unsung heroes.

Jules, not much to add to what I've already said to you in private. Just know we're here for you! C.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2017, 4:49 pm

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you, Julie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » January 23rd, 2017, 5:07 pm

Julie, I am so sorry for your loss. It was wonderful to read your story in Genii including how you and Suley met. Be well.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

AJM

Postby AJM » January 23rd, 2017, 5:14 pm

Desperately sad news, my heart felt condolences go out to Julie.

Andrew

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 23rd, 2017, 5:53 pm

A wonderful and talented guy with a great sense of humour. My condolences to Julie and David.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 23rd, 2017, 6:35 pm

Very sad news. Just terrible.

At a memorial service in Washington in the days after 9/11, some words from the Queen of England were read out:

'Grief is the price we pay for love'.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 24th, 2017, 3:22 am

I am deeply saddened by the loss of this talented and wonderful man. My heart goes out to Julie, who gives so much to others, on her great loss. We love you, Juiie!

Matt Field

GordonBean

Postby GordonBean » January 24th, 2017, 7:16 am

Suley was a truly wonderful person, and this breaks my heart. Deep condolences to Julie.

Gordon Bean

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 24th, 2017, 11:01 am

It always seems so unfair when bad things happen to the nicest people. Love and comfort to Julie and everyone in her sphere.

James Alan
Favorite Magician: Joshua Jay

Postby James Alan » January 25th, 2017, 11:48 am

There will be a memorial this Saturday in Toronto:
http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/suley-fattah-memorial

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 25th, 2017, 1:01 pm

For those of you who didn't know Suley, and wonder why he was such a special person, I am pasting below a letter written by David Ben's son Harrison to Julie Eng. This is done with permission.

Dear Julie,

I wanted to share some memories and thoughts of Suley,

Several years back, for a couple months I spent many hours of 1 on 1 time with Suley. He would drive me, to and from Vaughan - in the middle of rush hour - several times a week for a course I was attending, AND during that same period he had the arduous task of teaching me how to parallel park for my driving test! So during that time, I got to know him more than I ever had before.

On these drives, I liked listening to the way he described, “anything” - his childhood (he played basketball at school - I didn’t believe that for a moment!) a movie, tv series, cartoon, art, a restaurant, a walk, a trip, his time in London with Dave-o - it was always so different from how I would describe something. He would make uninteresting subjects interesting simply by his descriptions. His way of looking at the world was so different than how I would look at it. Often I found that what he appreciated about a subject, I would over look.

I found it interesting that he didn’t need to listen to music while driving, and that he would actually enjoy doing tasks that I would find mundane - for example - “going to 3 cent”. Over the years I began to increasingly admire and appreciate him more and more, the reason being was that he was “refreshing”. HE WASN’T LIKE ANYONE ELSE! NO ONE! No one I know was like Suley, no one in a tv series/show/novel I’d come across was like Suley, he was his own!

Further, I’d like to hi-light some particular aspects of his personality that I really enjoyed and found admirable. He was refreshing to me because he was everything that most people are not.

Suley was patient and a tremendous listener - when you’re really paying attention to how people are listening to you, a lot of the time you get a sense that they are just waiting for you to finish so they can begin speaking - never did I get this vibe from Suley. He was present to the world around him and had an eye for details and quirks that others would over-look, especially in regards to his descriptions of other people. He had a knack for pointing out something, that I would over-look about an individual, and then I would see it every single time I would interact with that person! How did I miss something so obvious I would say to myself, after Suley tipped me off on a quirk. Most of all, Suley was real. Real in the sense that he was not trying to be anything or anyone but himself, and in my experience of the world, that is the rarest and most admirable of qualities, never, ever did I get the sense that Suley was “judging”, rather he was just observing and living.

Because of his personality - patient, present and real - I feel that Suley still left the world on his own terms. Unlike most people who rush their way through the world, and fail to “stop and smell the roses”, Suley was smelling the roses the whole f**king time- and for that reason I can find some comfort in his passing. Suley was able to live a life true to himself and experience the world as he wanted to. What else could you ask for in this life?

I also want to express my gratitude for all that you and Suley have done for me and my family. Like where the hell would we be if we didn’t have you both! As you lost your husband and love, I lost an uncle today. I hope that as we move forward in our relationship that Suley’s passing brings you and me closer together. I would love to spend more time with my aunt Julie, and I will be there for you always as I know you would be for me.

Love,

“H-H-B"
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 25th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Good thoughts for Julie.

Julie Eng

Postby Julie Eng » January 26th, 2017, 10:27 am

My Dear Friends,

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and compassion everyone has shown to me and to our families as we struggle to reconcile our loss. Suley was such an amazing individual, full of life and joy. It is very hard for me that in a blink of an eye, it has all vanished. I can't believe he's gone.

I hope you got to know him a little, through the article RK kindly published and that David Ben penned. David did a beautiful job summing it up: Suley was the real secret - my magic. For nearly twenty years, he guided and supported me ... he did everything for me. I count my lucky stars to have had him for as long as I did. He gave me such happiness.

Thank you again, for all your support.

Julie

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 26th, 2017, 3:13 pm

My sincerest condolences for your profound loss Julie.
I knew your Dad well, he was a friend - and was a huge influence over my life in magic.

I live on the wrong side of the country to have known Suley personally, but find myself wishing that I had indeed met the man who his friends and relatives don't hesitate for a second to call simply an amazing human being

Return to “Buzz”