The Best of an Awful 2016

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
JHostler

The Best of an Awful 2016

Postby JHostler » December 31st, 2016, 10:48 am

What the deuce… a completely arbitrary, who-the-heck-cares-but-me roundup of a scant few decent things to come out of 2016. I wish there were more…

- Most brain-tingling new magic book: The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi. (Unsolicited recommendation: Buy this before the remaining three first edition copies vanish.)

- Keenest magical rediscovery: Richard Bartram’s Trephine. (Incredibly high idea/page ratio. Pretend like you’re planning a last-minute purchase of the expiring Magnum Opossum and grab this instead. Then buy Magnum anyway.)

- Snazziest new magic prop: Gareth Gwatkin’s Blackwood Regal Chop Cup. Absolutely perfect, gorgeous work. And a nice guy to boot.

- Coolest eBay find: Super-clean, all original, prohibition-era Slingerland banjolin.

- Best new musical releases: Midwest Farmers Daughter by Margo Price; Memphis Ukulele Band by the Memphis Ukulele Band.

- Happiest moment for my Klipsches: Bob Dylan, Motril, Spain 2004.

- Goatiest miracle: The Chicago Cubs.

Good riddance 2016, and best of luck to all of us – against very steep odds – for next year. :?
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Return to “Buzz”