Max Maven's new DVDs

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
PickaCard

Max Maven's new DVDs

Postby PickaCard » December 29th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Max mentioned in his audio column several months ago about a new DVD project as part of the Essential Magic Collection.

I was hoping for an update on the anticipated release date.

Thanks

Max Maven

Re: Max Maven's new DVDs

Postby Max Maven » December 30th, 2016, 4:34 am

The shooting is completed, but yet to be done are editing, graphics, and so on. In some ways, this is a more complicated project than the other EMC DVD sets. While Luis had hoped to have everything done by the end of this year, I told him at the time that his was probably unrealistic -- all the more so as he's had a busy performing schedule of his own.

I think it's likely that the set will be released by the middle of 2017.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 30th, 2016, 5:37 am

Can't wait to check them out.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » August 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Is there any update on this project?

Cheers!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 9th, 2017, 5:12 pm

I received an email from them about a month ago. I don't recall a release date, though there may be one. But I'd imagine it's soon.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » November 19th, 2017, 11:13 am

Just saw this review on The Magic Cafe. Apparently some members of the EMC were sent the DVD's early.

Well I got mine yesterday and thanks to a cold which robbed me of my voice, I had cancelled two gigs so was able to excitedly binge watch the four DVDs, seeing them as the best ever consolation for having a cold. I've been looking forward to these since I heard some time back Maven was doing one for EMC. I have four other EMC sets (not including the three years of the EMC conferences) so was solidly confident this was going to be a quality project. To the guy above who was a little worried the DVDs might spend a little too much time on card magic, you have no need to worry that it might be a "little" too much; every single thing he did was card magic, nothing else. But not just card magic, the kind of procedural card magic that modern audiences hate, those "cut the cards, and again, now spread the cards and chose a pile" and so on, and so, on till you lose the will to live.

Thing is, we're not even talking great magic here. On several of them I skipped the explanation either because it was obvious or I just didn't care. Now I firmly believe as a mentalist you can get away with the occasional bit of card magic, but not one after the other. This just makes you a weak cardician. Most of the tricks didn't even feel remotely mentalist in substance and had more a feel of puzzle tricks, a crime in itself as far as I'm concerned. And at no point in the DVDs' barrage of card tricks did it even get acknowledged that it was only card tricks and nothing else. A chunk of time was spent going over the classic force, a subject Maven even concedes others have covered in great detail...even on some EMC DVDs. This was nothing more than a collection of card tricks. Don't get me wrong, they're not awful; they're just not great and definitely not a masterclass EMC boxset standard. It's as if EMC has a new season in store starting with Maven's Kayfabe on Cards, then Derren Brown on Doves, Franz Harare on Restaurant Magic, David Berglas on Slapstick Prop Magic and Chris Angel on Humility and How to Play Well With Others. I'm a big fan of Maven's, but this was an overwhelming disappointment. It will not be moving to my shelves alongside his other work and will be up for sale later today I'm afraid.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=617983&forum=15&start=40

I have a lot of fondness for Max Maven as a person and as a creator. His work behind the scenes with FISM, GENII in the 90's and his work on The James File are just some of his important contributions to magic. And I thought his Video Mind series put out by L+L were very good as well. I even like the fact he has published thousands of tricks. I am one of those magic nerds who enjoys working through a massive body of work in the hopes of uncovering gems that others may have overlooked. This is something I enjoy about the work of Stewart James as well. And - in my earlier days - the work of Ed Marlo.

I have read most of Max's published work over the years. And often find his magazine contributions to be very weak. He is a very smart guy and very well read. As such he is a voice always worth listening to since there is always a chance he will offer something new and novel in his work. And I have found that from time to time.

With that said - I was hoping the new DVDs would not focus so much on card tricks. Whilst card tricks do have a place in mentalism - they have to be chosen with special care. And Max's taste in card magic is too often drawn from the "puzzle magic" category. Interesting tricks from a method point of view but too procedural to really deliver a sense of astonishment. For instance - the massive Stewart James books are my favourite in magic. But they are the last books I would look to if putting together a performance of strong magic for laypeople.

I will still check out the new EMC DVDs from Max. But I fear they may be a lost opportunity when it comes to offering a program of strong mentalism. The good thing with the Video Mind videos was they reflected a healthy range of different types of mentalism. With an emphasis on some of Max's more commercial ideas.

Max is at the very heart of the magic community. And good friends with most of the movers and shakers in magic. So I am sure these DVDs will get rave reviews. But I am starting to suspect they may be a disappointment, and another example of Max focusing on methodologically interesting magic rather than effects designed with the spectator in mind. This is something I can struggle with as well. Magic that appeals to the geek in me compared to magic that appeals to laypeople. It is a common curse among those who are very well read in magic.

But we will wait and see. I am sure I will get criticized for commenting on a product I have not seen yet.

So be it.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » November 19th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Well I won't criticize you, Joe.

I surfed over to the cafe using the link you provided and checked the poster's profile. He (or she) has posted only 31 times over the course of almost 4 years since joining. That may only mean he has little to say, but then again it could indicate that he is a part-time troll. Or something else. At any rate it is one person's opinion.

I, too, love Max's body of work and deeply appreciate his contributions to the art. I managed to see him once back when he was touring comedy clubs in the 80s and found him to be wonderfully entertaining. That said, I much prefer reading his work over watching him on video. He tends to be a bit pedantic for my tastes. But then again I do not care much at all for video instruction, so what do I know? Perhaps his style is preferable to many (most) of those who purchase his videos. He is, after all, an icon in the world of magic and mentalism and no one achieves that distinction by accident or without talent.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » November 20th, 2017, 5:58 am

Here is a clarification from Max (over at The Magic Café) about the contents of the DVDs.

The person proclaimed that in the four-DVD set, “everything single thing he did was card magic, nothing else.” The set runs over nine hours. It includes two substantial routines of stage mentalism that involve no playing cards whatsoever. There are also about three hours of interviews, a great deal of historical information, a documentary, and a spoken philosophical essay.

So it seems the original reviewer was inaccurate in what he wrote. And I guess I was hasty in running with that before checking out the DVDs myself. Still looking forward to checking this set out.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2017, 12:03 pm

There will be a full review in the January issue of Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » November 24th, 2017, 2:56 pm

When will they be available? I see them still listed as pre-order on Vanishing Inc.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 24th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There will be a full review in the January issue of Genii.

I am sorry to say that Richard is incorrect (unless someone else is doing it, even though I am working on the DVD reviews for the January issue). I have not received this set. I suspect that Richard is thinking I have Max's set when, in fact, I have the immense 5-disc Juan Tamariz set that will take up my entire January column to cover. And I better get to work!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Dustin is correct: faulty memory. I expect Max's set will be reviewed in the February issue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » November 24th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Another comment from The Magic Cafe:

I've binge watched the complete set. Now I'm very, very tired. By the way, "Pocket Nightmare" - undisclosed for nearly 40 years - is worth the price of "Kayfabe" alone. The material is top notch, ableit mostly based on cards. Most of the effects and methods are of terrifying beauty... A must have DVD set for the serious and intelligent mentalist with a preference for quality material. Clean effects which mystifies and entertains the audience.

Also the lengthy Max Maven interview, EMC segments, and "Fabulous Monster" bonus documentary are great.

Thank you to Max Maven, David Britland, and Louis de Matos for making "Kayfabe" to the magic community.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » November 25th, 2017, 11:21 am

So there is no official release date?

Some people get it early, others wait for an unknown release date...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 25th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Official World Release Date is listed as: 24 Nov 2017
http://essentialmagiccollection.com/alb ... en-kayfabe

Return to “Buzz”