Rapturous performance

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Stokes

Rapturous performance

Postby Richard Stokes » December 25th, 2016, 7:55 am

Chris Pratt performed a hideous bloated card trick on the Graham Norton show.
Surprisingly it got a strong reaction from Jennifer Lawrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQOb6-xu18

If only a raptor had jumped up halfway thru the routine and chomped his hand off...

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Rapturous performance

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 26th, 2016, 1:48 am

I don't think it was hideous at all, and I am not surprised about the great reaction he got from Jennifer and everyone else in the room, for that matter. The "magician in trouble" plot has always been strong. Although a fair amount of laymen do this trick with the smacking of the cards (except, of course, the selection) out of the spectator's hand denouement, it is still a wonderful, dramatic ending when it works perfectly, as it did here. And, it can never be overemphasized how strong magic in the spectator's hands is. But mostly, while Chris is obviously not a professional magician, he understands showmanship and how to entertain. He has personality, charm and wit, and most importantly, knows how to sell himself. That is why he succeeded in that performance, whereas I have seen a lot of "pros" flop with far more lofty, finger-flinging offerings. While many magicians may thumb their noses at him, they should actually be studying that performance to learn something about how to make magic pleasing and entertaining to laymen

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » December 26th, 2016, 4:47 am

If this "revelation" causes a so strong reaction now, it's because it's an old one which was described (at least) in 1785 in Testament de Jerome Sharp by Henri Decremps.
As we say in France : "It's in the old pots that we make the best soups" (Experience always wins the day)

performer

Postby performer » December 26th, 2016, 5:38 am

I suppose I had better exert myself to view this and see if I consider it hideous or not. One moment please.
Oh, I have seen this before. I won't comment on whether I thought it was hideous or not. However, it brings to mind something that I have often thought about.
There is, or there was another Chris Pratt. A Magic Circle one. I have no idea whether he is still around or not. If he is he must be even more ancient than me. . Years ago there was a wonderful trick around that only one man did at the time. The man was Len Wallace. And I only saw him do it in a stand up situation although it could be done close up. I understand he passed this trick on to the Magic Circle Chris Pratt although I have never seen him do it.
It was a sensational trick. I am astonished that nobody has stolen it by now. I meant to steal it myself but I was a little vague on the secret in those days. I did get little hints from people which I won't get into now. Come to think of it I believe I do know how it is done nowadays and I might learn it before I drop dead.
Let me tell you about it. I will be astonished if nobody has ever heard of it or seen it. I expect there will be some geriatric Magic Circle toff around who has probably seen Len Wallace do it and might have a comment or two.
Len would have any card named, and spring to it with the well known flourish. He would repeat this several times. It might not sound much in cold type and I hope it doesn't since I don't actually want anyone else to do it so I can have it all to myself.

OK. You can all go back talking about this hideous ------sorry, I meant to say interesting---------performance of the other Chris Pratt.

performer

Postby performer » December 15th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I am now in possession of a video of Chris Pratt doing the legendary trick described above (that nobody seems to know about so perhaps it isn't legendary after all). He does it reasonably well despite being a member of the Magic Circle but alas nowhere near the standard of his tutor Len Wallace who had much larger springs and decidedly far more showmanship. However, I am pleased that he comes off as so boring because that means you are all less likely to steal it. I certainly intend to before I drop dead.

I have raved about it for the last 50 years or so but nobody seems to be terribly interested in it. If I display it might just take off as a classic after laying dormant for the last 50 years or more even though nobody was interested enough to steal it at the time. Come to think of it I am not sure it deserves to be exposed to the rather lukewarm bunch of amateurs that reside here. Still, I might just do it to prove my theory that good as it is nobody will show the slightest interest in it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Chris Pratt died of brain cancer several years ago, Mark.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Hey Mark,

At the end of this video clip you can see David Williamson perform a Steve Forte idea (that was published in Channel One magazine) where he springs the cards to each of the 4 aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brf5e49htx4

It is not exactly the same as the trick you mentioned but it is pretty similar.

I wonder if the trick you mention uses a stacked deck and some estimation/key card work - to get a break above the named card?

performer

Postby performer » December 15th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Chris Pratt died of brain cancer several years ago, Mark.

I imagined that he would be. And that means the trick is dead too unless I exert myself and revisite it. Nobody seems to know the damn thing. I don't think a trick like that deserves to die unknown and unsung.

performer

Postby performer » December 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Hey Mark,

At the end of this video clip you can see David Williamson perform a Steve Forte idea (that was published in Channel One magazine) where he springs the cards to each of the 4 aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brf5e49htx4

It is not exactly the same as the trick you mentioned but it is pretty similar.

I wonder if the trick you mention uses a stacked deck and some estimation/key card work - to get a break above the named card?

Dave Williamson is not doing the same thing. I remember Len Wallace doing the spring face down. However I do believe that yes, it was a stacked deck and estimation from the gossip I heard around at the time. I am amazed that nobody stole it. I meant to but never got around to it.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » December 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I don't think it was hideous at all, and I am not surprised about the great reaction he got from Jennifer and everyone else in the room, for that matter...

Agreed. Who better to tap the "magician in trouble" theme than a non-magician - and one capable of acting.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Considering that he is not a magician, he did a good job.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » December 15th, 2018, 11:36 pm

He has a rather unfortunate name though. It would provoke rude remarks if he lived in Britain.
Anyway I just watched the video again just now. Oddly enough by sheer coincidence a layman showed me the exact same trick today! A schoolteacher of all people! I hate the idea that they can get this stuff so easily.

Anyway back to this actor chap. I think it is essential for the people he shows this trick to , to realise that he is not a magician just an actor having a bit of fun. Then they will enjoy it. However, if they were to think he was actually a magician it would indeed appear hideous.

Return to “Buzz”