Hand Spiker Origins

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jonathan Pendragon

Hand Spiker Origins

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » October 6th, 2016, 6:01 pm

There has been an article and lecture of late that have, for some reason, made a chronological jump in the history of Smash and Stab, a name I dislike, that leaves my work out of the story, even going to the extent of mentioning previous routines that never included the element of danger, the Russian Roulette factor that inspired the effect. Todd Karr and Scott Alexander, for reasons beyond my understanding, appear to feel my work never existed, which is odd because it in print, here in Genii magazine. It was also witnessed by Max Maven and Siegfried..... 30 years ago as was my first article on he subject! Todd didn't just leave out of his article, he the made the chronological jump that, like the missing link, shows one effect that miraculous morphs into another effect without a transition piece, My work was that transition piece. Scott, whose work I acknowledged just lectured for Penguin and demonstrated the exact same safety I taught last year on a Penguin lecture. There is no excuse for poor research. If it's more than that, say it in print, don't pretend my work and I don't exist.

scott alexander

Re: Hand Spiker Origins

Postby scott alexander » May 27th, 2017, 7:15 am

The 1986 Genii Magazine article was most certainly included in my research. However, since the topic Todd was discussing concerned dangerous objects being avoided, this was excluded from the chronology as it was about destroying a painted egg, not avoiding a dangerous object.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 27th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Anybody know what Todd Karr article Jonathan is talking about?

Citations are always appreciated! (One for Jonathan's own article would be great too.)

scott alexander

Postby scott alexander » June 12th, 2017, 10:05 am

Todd Karr's article is in the August 2016 issue I believe, and the trick Jonathan Pendragon is referring to is in the March 1986 issue and is called Eggstraordinary.

Return to “Buzz”