Penn & Teller Fool Us

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
TGPlano

Penn & Teller Fool Us

Postby TGPlano » August 22nd, 2016, 10:35 am

Paul Gertner was on Penn & Teller Fool Us with a new twist on his trick Unshuffled: Here is a link: https://youtu.be/_fpUi89LIR4
Did it fool you?

Ted

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Penn & Teller Fool Us

Postby Joe Mckay » August 22nd, 2016, 12:20 pm

Great trick, great performance and a great twist at the end.

I remember when Dan Harlan did the show and he performed Cardtoon and had a twist at the end of his routine as well.

Unshuffled and Cardtoon are similar tricks to me (although one is hard and one is easy). If you showed a layperson every card trick ever invented - there is a good chance that Unshuffled and Cardtoon would be the two that impresses them the most.

They are both genius routines and totally unlike anything else in card magic.

My sense with P&T is that they go easier on legends when they appear on that show. If they are performing a classic piece of magic that they have invented - they are more interested in using the performance as a chance to celebrate their achievements in magic. Rather than go all out in trying to bust them. Penn Jillette has said that the 'Fool Us' construct is not the real point of the show. It is just a viewer friendly format in which to showcase magic.

The Paul Gertner trick fooled me with the twist at the end. But there is really only one possible method and I am guessing that the move was done off camera. But who knows? Paul Gertner is smarter than I will ever be.

Still - it is an interesting question. What does it mean to be fooled by something? If you figure out a trick but miss the move - does that count? It reminds me of Simon Aronson's dictum that there is a difference between a spectator not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done.

There is an old saying that if a magician figures out 90% of the method but is still fooled by the remaining 10% - they will consider themselves fooled. Whereas a layperson who figures out 10% of the method and is clueless about the rest will still think they have figured out the trick.

I used to perform Unshuffled. It is a great trick. But your tastes change in magic. And awhile ago I decided if I never had to worry about nailing another perfect faro - my life would be 90% less stressful. It is one of those moves that seems to let you down at the key moment. Paul's hands were a little shakey and my sense is that even a master like him was worried about having to rock and reweave on the move. Since it is never 100% reliable. Ironically - it is a difficult move that works best when you are relaxed. So it is a hard move to rely on in a high pressure situation.

Back to Paul's performance. That is the best trick I have seen on that show. It was flawless in every department. So pleased that this classic trick was shown off in the best possible light.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » August 22nd, 2016, 1:57 pm

Paul Gertner is one of my all-time favorite magicians period. When he was young, he performed a feather act on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Very interesting and creative! His cups and balls routine is sensational! And this card effect which I was not familiar with until now. What a treat! Time after time, he provides us with sensational performances.

He is one of those magicians who just has it if you know what I mean. What a talent!

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 22nd, 2016, 2:50 pm

It was a fantastic performance.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 25th, 2016, 10:20 am

NCMarsh wrote:It was a fantastic performance.

I concur--being entertaining and funny while nailing all of those perfect Faros with millions watching--most impressive! (I gotta believe there's a deck switch in there somewhere. Either that or he's a warlock).

Funny thing is, I wonder if any hobbyists are going to run down to the magic shop, buy "CardToon" and "Unshuffled" and be puzzled as to why their prop won't work the same for them. (I know of what I speak because I felt the exact same way when I saw Terry Seabrooke do the spot card--totally blew my mind).

I wish they would put Bob Sheets on the show.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 25th, 2016, 11:18 am

Latest ep:

Coronel's Poker Chip routine rocks! I liked how he handled the "last coin" problem. Penn's comment regarding the differently colored chips confirmed something I had long suspected. I do wonder how many non-magicians realized that the different colors made things that much harder.

Mac King: love the aerial fishing routine. Short story: about 12 years ago, my child helped with this routine at Mac's show and he got huge laughs and fooled everybody, while still treating her with kindness and respect. Even after the show, he was as gracious as could be.

JFox

Postby JFox » August 25th, 2016, 5:03 pm

I hear that one of the big hits at Magic Live!...was the "UTP" clock trick that was being sold at a certain dealer booth.

I wonder how the new purchasers of it feel about P&T (last night) subtlety tipping the gaffus on their TV show?

Did the lay audience catch-on?...it's a "remote" possibility!

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » August 26th, 2016, 4:29 pm

JFox wrote:I hear that one of the big hits at Magic Live!...was the "UTP" clock trick that was being sold at a certain dealer booth.

I wonder how the new purchasers of it feel about P&T (last night) subtlety tipping the gaffus on their TV show?

Did the lay audience catch-on?...it's a "remote" possibility!

I find it difficult to believe that anyone, anywhere could possible be fooled by that trick. A classic case of "only one possible answer".
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2016, 8:17 pm

People are fooled by fake palm readers and tarot card readers all the time, even if there is only one possible answer ... that it's FAKE. But that's really irrelevant. I think it's been proven time and again that the Too Perfect Theory is not set in stone. Sometimes it's true, but many times it's not.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » August 26th, 2016, 10:20 pm

There is NOT only one possible answer about palm and tarot readings! It does not have to be "fake". What I personally do is GENUINE! I do not use "cold reading" or any of that tripe. I use genuine divination techniques which are centuries old.

As for the too perfect theory I tend to agree with it but I concede it may not apply in all cases. I do think it is probably more often true than not. Not that i particularly care one way or the other.

David Moore

Postby David Moore » August 31st, 2016, 12:04 am

I know we're not supposed to tip on this forum, but can someone tell me why Alyson Hannigan wears the same dress every show?

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 31st, 2016, 12:08 am

David Moore wrote:I know we're not supposed to tip on this forum, but can someone tell me why Alyson Hannigan wears the same dress every show?

So they can edit acts from various shows into any combination, in any order.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 31st, 2016, 12:56 am

Hmm...I'd rather believe that she's a quick change artist than that she never takes a shower...

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 31st, 2016, 6:26 am

David Moore wrote:I know we're not supposed to tip on this forum, but can someone tell me why Alyson Hannigan wears the same dress every show?

Perhaps for the same reasons that Penn & Teller always wear the same suits? Strangely enough, the latter doesn't seem to be questioned very often...

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 31st, 2016, 9:31 am

Not that this is a world-shaking issue, but I think there is a difference; P&T are the talent--it's not unusual for an established act to have a recognizable costume. But A. is supposed to be representing us, the viewers, and so more like everyday people.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 31st, 2016, 2:32 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Not that this is a world-shaking issue, but I think there is a difference; P&T are the talent--it's not unusual for an established act to have a recognizable costume. But A. is supposed to be representing us, the viewers, and so more like everyday people.

He also discussed their costume/suits.

Good call about the hostess, production choice and continuity.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 1st, 2016, 2:48 pm

Tom Stone wrote:

Perhaps for the same reasons that Penn & Teller always wear the same suits? Strangely enough, the latter doesn't seem to be questioned very often...

Nor have I ever seen it mentioned that Jonathan Ross wore the same suit and tie all through Season 1, and the same outfit (different than first season) all through Season 2.

I recall reading about the hosts of the Australian Today show (man and woman), in which the woman got regular commentary (and criticism) about her wardrobe choices. In a show of solidarity, the man started wearing the same suit every day. He went a full year without anyone noticing.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » September 2nd, 2016, 5:39 pm

It looks like there's another new episode tonight - Friday @ 9 - in the New York market.
Smiles all around

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 2nd, 2016, 9:44 pm

That's the first time I've seen Zabrecky. Really funny--although I wish they had enough time to let him perform an additional routine to better establish his character.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » September 4th, 2016, 12:08 am

Doug Thornton wrote:It looks like there's another new episode tonight - Friday @ 9 - in the New York market.

Thanks for the heads up.

Nice to see Caleb Wiles on there -- I believe his trick was published in Genii, yes?

That's not a good sign though, for the network to (a) mess with the established schedule and (b) burn a new episode on a Friday night.

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » September 4th, 2016, 12:56 am

The plot thickens.
Next week there are new shows Wednesday AND Friday. :o

And I am happy about that.
:D
Smiles all around

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 5th, 2016, 11:31 pm

Ted M wrote:
Doug Thornton wrote:It looks like there's another new episode tonight - Friday @ 9 - in the New York market.

Thanks for the heads up.

Nice to see Caleb Wiles on there -- I believe his trick was published in Genii, yes?

That's not a good sign though, for the network to (a) mess with the established schedule and (b) burn a new episode on a Friday night.

Mr. Wiles is a very devious fellow, but was I the only one who thought the routine was a bit long for a TV spot?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 20th, 2016, 11:11 pm

I love this show, but unfortunately, last week's episodes were a bit of a disappointment. The common thread for me was that in most of the acts, the performer took a rather circuitous route to get to the climax of the trick. While a strong performer will make the journey interesting and worthwhile, when the lines are falling flat or the procedure threatens to swallow the whole, it just leeches the life out of the denouement. My kid said it best: "It's taking so long to get anywhere...I'm just bored."

On the up side, I did like Brent Braun's CAAN--very direct and the way he rang in the cooler was clever (and funny). I also liked P & T's T & R which had a good premise, funny lines, and a trick that can be described in a sentence.

The same could not be said for some of the acts (Aliens, walnuts, and bears...Oh, my!) Also, I couldn't believe Penn was beat by a guy who crammed a cookie in his mouth exactly when you knew he would and by the very method it had to be. Finally, I hope I can be forgiven some snark, but listening to a Dermatology resident tell me how "dangerous" medicine is, gave me an involuntary McKayla Moroney face.

Still, despite a couple off nights, I'm eagerly awaiting this week's episodes, and continue to be a big fan.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 24th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Interesting article from Paul Gertner discussing his performance of Unshuffled on the show and how it came about.

http://gertner.com/fooling-penn-teller/

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » November 5th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Found this interesting idea for Unshuffled in an old post by Curtis Kam on The Magic Cafe:
On Jul 12, 2004, Curtis Kam wrote:

Monty Python fans just write "SPAM". Read the deck aloud as you go, by the 7th shuffle, the audience will be singing along with you.

Here's an idea for you: let's try to imply that the shuffle actually transposes letters on the last shuffle. So, just when they being to realize that you're rearranging sections of the words vertically, we change the letters on a horizontal plane.

In other words, suppose you wrote "starT off Here" on one side, gave the deck one faro, and wrote "Three of Hearts" on the other. Now, set the deck up for the effect. Talk about the cards sending you a message, and the message gradually becomes clear, sorta. "starT off Here"? "I don't get it. Maybe one more shuffle" do one more faro, and in the course of it, turn the deck. As the cards square, it should appear that the letters rearrange to spell "Three of Hearts".

Okay, you anagram fans realize I cheated a little, but this was just to get you thinking, not do it for you. There must be a cool anagram for a card name that would allow an interesting presentation. Perhaps someone is lucky enough to be named "Jack Coflubs"?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 30&forum=2

Return to “Buzz”