How was MAGIC Live?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

How was MAGIC Live?

Postby erdnasephile » August 21st, 2016, 7:13 am

I've been gone, so I apologize if I missed a thread about this already. I was wondering if anyone wants to share their opinion of how MAGIC Live was (Highlights, Lowlights, Cool dealer stuff, etc.) ?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: How was MAGIC Live?

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2016, 2:07 pm

I spent the whole convention in the Dealer Room selling books and it was busy a good deal of the time. Also performed a set four times and received good response. But that's all I saw!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 21st, 2016, 6:24 pm

the most amazing thing I saw at magic live was david penn creating the perfect illusion that he received Ted Lesley's permission and blessing for releasing his knock off of the bending wine glass BEFORE the product came to the market.

he conveniently left out threatening to sue magic magazine when our review revealed that no permission had been granted and that Ted was very unhappy to learn of the release. Jim Trainor claimed Ted knew and was ok with refraction. nothing could have been further than the truth.

Penn and Trainor threatened the magazine and myself with legal proceedings for sharing the truth. Only later did they visit Ted and found him Ill and without money. They gave him some money allegedly and filmed this poor man holding up a copy of the DVD. it looked like something out of a hostage film. he has attempted many times to re write this history, even attempting to 'gaslight' me with false narratives. As I never delete emails his lies were quickly revealed.

penn later went on to attempt to further his career by starting a false feud between mcbride and Dobson. It even came down I'm told to him threatening Wayne with secretly recorded phone conversations.

while this is only my opinion, david Penn is an unethical actor and bad human being. Others have confirmed that for me. approach with caution.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 22nd, 2016, 2:23 am

I don't know much about the David Penn thing, but here are my impressions.

BIG! I've only been to one other Magic Live, the 13th anniversary 12 years ago. Then it was around 750-800. Now, it's doubled. For my tastes, to many damn people. All you had to do was walk around the dealer room opening night to realize that.

I did not like having to choose between certain things. Yes, you always have a choice to go to an event or not, but when they had multiple things going on at once and you were to choose 2 of the 3 that's difficult. In the close up clinic they had 9 of the finest close up magicians in the world and only 1 hour to divide among all of them. That said, I believe most things started on time and they stayed on schedule.

Highlights....
The close up show was one of the best I've ever seen. Steve Valentine, (host) Bebel, Charlie Frye, Jared Kopf, (what a monster closing routine he did!) and FISM winner Pierric was great! (I think I'm forgetting someone.)
The parlor show, The Secret Class with Mark Haslan was excellent.
In the general sessions, Master Payne gave one of the best presentations on magic I've ever seen.
Marvyn Roy bequeathing the Mr. Electric act to David Copperfield was really touching.
Hanging out in the session room was great...usually til about 2 AM getting FRIED by Howard Hamburg, Allan Ackerman, David Williamson and a host of others.
The dealers room was great...after the fist night so you could move. I had books on my mind when I got there and picked up several including the new books by Handsome Jack, John Bannon, The Secrets of So Sato by our editor and the reprints of Daryl's classics. I also picked up a fun play thing called Rainbow Card by SEO Magic. Have yet to see if it will play for real audiences...but it's a fun toy. I didn't seem to notice any one specific MUST HAVE item this year.

Even thought it's too many people for my tastes and it's a pain to get out there, you can bet I'll be there in '18.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 22nd, 2016, 10:03 am

it's far better to be offered a choice and get something you know you want than have no choice and get stuck with something you don't.

as to the close up session, I am curious how you could have had fewer choices and accommodated the same amount of guests with the same degree of intimacy/personal attention. to try to accomodate the same number of people in the same format would become just another series magic lectures and vernon knows the last thing we need in magic is to keep following the same tired formulas used at the same tired conventions. (and to do that would have taken even more time eliminating opportunities for non close up based experiences and workshops. thereby denying those with other interests (or no interest in close up) the chance to have a meaningful experience.

having said that, Stan is always open to new ideas and solutions. should you have one, please share it. I'm not being defensive or snarky. if you read my posts you know I am a HUGE proponent of trying to make convention experiences more immersive and educationally beneficial. I did not design or come up with the idea of the session, I was only the moderator - but I did give it considerable thought. it's not a perfectly designed event for a convention experience such as live for a few reasons - but it was still a pretty great event (based on reactions and feedback). any ideas you have to make it better, or an alternative to replace it, would be interesting to me.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 22nd, 2016, 2:01 pm

Just curious: Was the session room an informal space where people just hung out to session or was it a part of the formal convention schedule?

JFox

Postby JFox » August 22nd, 2016, 2:08 pm

Personally, I would have killed to have seen the display of the RICHIARDI Buzz-Saw, Dekolta Chair, and Tip-Over Trunk!!!

Seeing Richiardi perform at the "World Festival of Magic & Occult" - at the "Felt Forum" in NYC (Dec. 1973)...was simply "jaw-dropping inspiring" to me then, as I'm sure that Carter, Dante, Thurston, and Blackstone were to previous generations.

(...and then only 5 months later, seeing Doug Henning debut with "The Magic Show"...followed by Mil. Christopher at Lincoln Center...and then, Blackstone Jr. on Broadway......Wow, those were the days).

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » August 22nd, 2016, 2:23 pm

Those certainly were the days! I saw Richiardi at the Felt Forum as well. Very cool indeed and something I remember fondly.

I took the opportunity to go on stage and walk past the "mess" following his performance of the Buzz-Saw. Guts everywhere! For a teenager, that was fantastic!

runningmagicman

Postby runningmagicman » August 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:it's far better to be offered a choice and get something you know you want than have no choice and get stuck with something you don't.

as to the close up session, I am curious how you could have had fewer choices and accommodated the same amount of guests with the same degree of intimacy/personal attention. to try to accomodate the same number of people in the same format would become just another series magic lectures and vernon knows the last thing we need in magic is to keep following the same tired formulas used at the same tired conventions. (and to do that would have taken even more time eliminating opportunities for non close up based experiences and workshops. thereby denying those with other interests (or no interest in close up) the chance to have a meaningful experience.

having said that, Stan is always open to new ideas and solutions. should you have one, please share it. I'm not being defensive or snarky. if you read my posts you know I am a HUGE proponent of trying to make convention experiences more immersive and educationally beneficial. I did not design or come up with the idea of the session, I was only the moderator - but I did give it considerable thought. it's not a perfectly designed event for a convention experience such as live for a few reasons - but it was still a pretty great event (based on reactions and feedback). any ideas you have to make it better, or an alternative to replace it, would be interesting to me.

This event was incredible....what other format would you get an hour with Jason England....to ask questions...to have him give you specific instruction. Was is perfect...no. But far better than any other "teachable session" at a convention. Plus...Gertner and I were the only ones with a deck of cards out at our table actually trying to emulate the instruction. Kudos for the idea...kudos for the instructors...kudos to Henderson who moderated the session successfully.
dave

http://runningmandave.blogspot.com/

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 28th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 28th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Doug: Many thanks for posting that link. That is a great review by Ms. Nielsen!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 29th, 2016, 11:37 am

Lupe, your review is brilliant and I hope Stan runs the whole thing, especially the photos, in issue one of Legacy.

You made what I think is an error, the same Scott Wells has been making in his podcast coverage with no one correcting him: 2016 was the 8th MAGIC Live, not the 7th. I have reviewed them all (except 2013) either on my web site or in the magazine and have just counted again to make sure I am not losing it. (I may be losing it, but I still think there have been 8.)

My latest, a more personal review than last year, is now on line at littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

Again, thanks for your awesome coverage.

Return to “Buzz”