My next book on Professor Hoffmann may be pre-ordered (soon) . . .

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Sawyer

My next book on Professor Hoffmann may be pre-ordered (soon) . . .

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 4th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Hi All,

For the information of those of you who have not been checking my Erdnase blog lately, I want to point out that I will soon (later today, which is Thursday) begin accepting pre-orders for my next book, which is now at the printer. You'll be able to pre-order the little book using PayPal, via my Erdnase blog.

The book is called Angelo J. Lewis of the Chancery Bar, and it deals primarily with Professor Hoffmann’s legal career. The softcover first-printing of the book will be about 100 pages and will include about a dozen images, including images relating to a few virtually unknown non-magic writings from the period of his law practice.

Anyway, my so-called Erdnase blog (which I probably should rename) has more in the way of details.

Also, I am now hard at work on a far-more significant book on Hoffmann, with the tentative title Professor Hoffmann and His Conjuring Serials of 1872-1888, which will deal with largely with most of Hoffmann’s major serializations (Modern Magic, More Magic, The Young Wizard, and his translations of Drawing-Room Conjuring and The Secrets of Stage Conjuring). It will also deal more generally with Every Boy’s Magazine and Every Boy’s Annual. That book is now flirting with being finished.

--Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Re: My next book on Professor Hoffmann may be pre-ordered (soon) . . .

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Hi All,

Thank you to those who have ordered a copy of Angelo J. Lewis of the Chancery Bar.

As of today, I am in possession of the books.

I hope to begin shipping on Tuesday or perhaps before that.

--Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 24th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Hi All,

My book entitled Professor Hoffmann and His Conjuring Serials of 1872-1888, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, is now available for sale (PRE-ORDER) via my Erdnase blog. I expect to submit the book to the printer on or before Friday. (Note: This is a book DIFFERENT from the Chancery Bar book.)

The amount of interest (or lack thereof) shown before that will probably have some influence on the number of copies in the first printing. (The first printing will probably be quite small.)

This will be a major book, more than 170 pages, with about 50 images in color.

A portion of the first printing will be a lettered (A through Z) version which will have a leaf (from Every Boy’s Annual for 1876, with a little printed text from Modern Magic) tipped in. As of this writing, I have nine copies of the forthcoming lettered version available for pre-order.

My Erdnase blog has a great deal of information about the book, as well as information on how to order. See link below.

I also plan to have the book available for pre-order on eBay (US orders only) starting probably tomorrow.

I don’t know how widely known it is that several of Hoffmann’s major works were serialized. Those include Modern Magic, More Magic (at least in part), and his translations of Drawing-Room Conjuring and Robert-Houdin’s The Secrets of Stage Conjuring. Those were serialized in the periodical known generally as Every Boy’s Magazine. The Young Wizard was serialized in The Boy’s Own Paper and elsewhere.

Thanks,

Tom Sawyer

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Tom, please paste a url directly into your post so I (and others) have to just click to order the book! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 24th, 2016, 3:31 pm

To order, go here and click the appropriate Paypal button:

https://erdnasequest.wordpress.com/2016 ... 1872-1888/

Tom Sawyer

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 24th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Richard and Ted, thanks for your comments!

I do not see a way to revise my above post, but the link stated by Ted should bring people to the post that has the relevant PayPal buttons.

A subsequent post has images of a bunch of pages from the current layout.

Thanks again.

--Tom

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 20th, 2016, 9:50 pm

I received my copies of these lovely books today. Needless to say, I have not yet read them, but I still can happily endorse them. Contact Tom through his BLOG for details. Don't wait! He prints limited editions, so you don't want to be left out!

Tom Sawyer

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 12th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I was searching the Genii forum for references to The Boy’s Own Conjuring Book, and I did find references to it. But in my search, one or more posts in this thread came up. Honestly, I was a little surprised to see me hawking my books in this thread in such an undisguised manner.

So, inspired by myself, I thought I would go ahead and do some further hawking.

In the not-so-distant future, I expect to be in possession of copies of my next book, to be titled A Bibliography of Card-Game Booklets Written By Professor Hoffmann.

I am NOT accepting orders yet, but if you want more information on it, you can go to my blog that deals with the card-game booklets of Chas. Goodall & Son. Here is a link. Try scrolling down to the posts of July 25 and July 26.

It’s gonna be quite cool, with dozens of color images. It’ll have over 150 pages.

--Tom Sawyer

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Tom, did I miss out on this? Professor Hoffmann and His Conjuring Serials of 1872-1888,

Tom Sawyer

Postby Tom Sawyer » August 14th, 2017, 3:39 am

Richard, tonight I mailed you a copy of that book (as a little gift). I hope you will enjoy looking through it. I stopped selling copies of the first printing late last year. It was a pretty small printing. (I received 51 copies from the printer.) I'll probably have it reprinted someday.

--Tom

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 14th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Thanks very much!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 14th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Is there some backstory on the model for the portrait in More Magic?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Buzz”