David Berglas Celebrates his 90th Birthday

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

David Berglas Celebrates his 90th Birthday

Postby Q. Kumber » July 29th, 2016, 8:59 pm

My first magic set was a David Berglas, International Man of Mystery one. Some years later I saw him perform some of the most baffling routines of magic and mindreading I've experienced.

One particular memory is at the Brighton, 1976 British Ring convention at about 3 in the morning. David was performing around a billiards table, borrowing decks of cards from the watching magicians. Eventually he asked someone to name a playing card and someone else to name a number. Then he got all the magicians to take their decks and count down and turn over the card at that number. They all did and the named card was there in all their decks.

Today David Berglas celebrates his 90th birthday and I raise a glass to toast him and thank him for all those sleepless nights, worrying about the impossibilities I had experienced.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: David Berglas Celebrates his 90th Birthday

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2016, 9:01 pm

The International Man of Mystery who fooled the hell out of me many times, and what a pleasure it was to spend so much time with him working on our book. Happy Birthday, David!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » July 30th, 2016, 1:44 am

I first came across David when I was a small boy in Glasgow which should give you an idea of how long ago that was. My cousin was watching television and told me "there's a great magician coming on. You must watch him. His name is David Berglas and he is very good". I think it must have been this programme here. It is listed as "It's a Great Life".

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctv/1955-03-19

I remember it mainly because of the presence of "Mrs Shufflewick" who was quite famous at the time. I can't remember what trick David did but I vaguely remember him appearing in a puff of smoke. Or perhaps it was Mrs Shufflewick that did the smoke thing. I just don't remember as it was so long ago. I also vaguely remember either Mrs Shufflewick or David being on a balcony but I really can't remember what that was about either. It was in 1955 after all.

I first met David in person sometime in the very early sixties. I belonged to a youth club in London and one of the youth club leaders knew of my interest in magic and called up David Berglas and somehow persuaded him to spend an evening coaching me in magic. I was surprised he consented since he had no idea who the hell I or the youth club leader was. He subsequently got to know the youth club leader very well who later became a member of parliament and eventually a member of the House of Lords.

I remember seeing David perform at the Victoria Palace in London and it had quite an impact on me at the time. No mentalism in his show-only magic and pickpocketing. I particularly remember him doing the wonderful cigarette routine. I happened to be backstage at the time and saw the bucket he was using for the trick and I thought he was going to do the Miser's Dream. I asked him "Are you going to do the Miser's Dream?" and he responded, "Would you like me to?" Of course he didn't.

He also did a lecture for the junior section of the London Society of Magicians. It had an unusual format I wouldn't mind seeing someone repeat. He had nothing prepared and he would have had no idea what he was going to talk about. He simply told each member of his audience of young magicians to have a question ready to ask him. He then went round the audience one at a time asking each of us what question we would like to ask him. He then answered us one at a time in turn.

A novel way of doing a lecture I thought.

I have always admired David for his charisma and I wish him a happy 90th birthday and many, many more.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 30th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Richard Young who produces The Magicians' Podcast in the UK, has an interview with David Berglas, recorded the day before his birthday.

For those viewing this in the future, it is Episode 65.

http://magicianspodcast.podbean.com

Return to “Buzz”