Illusionists 1903 in Mexico - review

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andres Reynoso

Illusionists 1903 in Mexico - review

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 25th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Last Sunday was the season’s end of Illusionists 1903 in Mexico City, after two weeks run.
I attended the show last thursday.
The magicians are: Kalin & Jinger, Gaetan Bloom, Andrew Basso, Thommy Ten and Amelie Van Tass, Ben Blaque, Charly Frye and Justo Thaus.

Kalin and Jinger performed their surgeon table, Jinger appearing from an empty gabinet and an Okito ball.
Gaetan Bloom did a card to kiwi into orange, into grapefruit into lettucce; his trademark act with microphone, wire and scissors and a disappearing botania and coke bottle.
Andrew Basso performed the water cell scape without cover.
Thommy Ten and Amelie Van Tass did their impressive thelepaty act.
Ben Blaque did a demonstration of crossbow shooting.
Charly Frye performed his trademark act plus a card routine with the aces.
Justo Thaus performed with “great Carlini” a magician marionette.

The show run a bit more than two hours includding intermission.

The theater has a full capacity of 10,000 persons, but during the season had closed some sections reducing the capacity maybe to 5,000-7,000 The performance I attended was near sold out.
The hugh theater makes mandatory to use camera work and screens. I think the show is good, all excellent acts, but watching them on the giant screen is not good. Is a very giant theater to the show. I would prefered a place more intimate, like a 1903 theater you know.

Sometimes the stage was too dark and all the time the screens had an extrange contrast: too dark or too bright and cameramen never knew where to shoot like if it was his first show.

People enjoyed more Gaetan Bloom, then Charly Frye, Thommy Ten and Amalie Van Tass.
Some people left the building where final bow started, missing the encore by Mark Kalin. Maybe because was too late.

At the end, most part of the cast greet the audience at stage foot, possed for photos and gave autographs.

On past days several tickets was offerd at 2x1, I think great part of the Thursday show was people who purchased at discount (mysalf included) maybe was the reason for the near sold out. Past years with other Illusionists shows I have never seen so many audience.

In my opinion: Is a great show but the theater is too bad, so big, a lot of details are lost. I avoid that theater at all cost, maybe for concerts is ok but for visual / teatrical is not good.

I would prefered production negotiated a diferent venue with the local operator.

I saw Charly Frye at Genii Bash and I know a lot of his act is about his facial expresion which was lost in this theater and the cameraman was making a closeup over ther rings.

I enjoyed the show and loved to chat for a moment with the artists. 4 years ago, during first Illusionists run I had the oportunity to talk with Jinger, so was a pleasure to greet her one more time.

Last Friday premiered in Mexico “Now you see me 2”, which was entitled in spanish “los ilusionistas 2” so it is odd having at the same time a live show and a movie with the same title but not related between them. I haven’t watched the movie yet, but is next on my list.
Andres Reynoso

Return to “Buzz”