Slydini's Film Footage

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Gilbert

Slydini's Film Footage

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 25th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I was reading an old thread from 2009, which was a discussion of Slydini's Helicopter Card. In it, Richard mentions the footage taken by Christian Fechner in the 70's. Years ago I had asked Hans Zahn about them and he knew of them. He had heard a rumor that Slydini didn't want them released until he had passed. Is there any updated information on this footage?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Slydini's Film Footage

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 25th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Slydini's entire repertoire was filmed by a crew hired by Christian Fechner in 35mm. Like a feature film.
The proviso was that they could not be released until Slydini's death.

The 35mm original film footage is gone. No one knows what happened to it. Why Fechner never did anything with it is unknown.

The footage now only exists as VHS dubs with a time code on them, and the time code often hides the vital area on the screen where Slydini's hands are on the table.

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that they will ever be released.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 6:34 pm

What I would REALLY like to see is footage of a BBC programme shown in the late fifties of Slydini, Vernon and Cy Enfield. It was a 30 minute show and I think the host was a guy called Peter Haigh. It showed all sorts of wonderful technique and would have been manna from heaven to those who love sleight of hand.

I think Slydini had a slight edge over Vernon although they were both excellent. Oddly enough he did the coin roll very well which is something I would never have associated with him. I remember him doing the silk knots trick and after he finished he said to Peter Haigh, "Well, do you think it is good?" then after a split second pause he continued, "No-don't tell me---I know it's good"

I think Cy Endfield was the dullest of the three although card magicians would have loved all the fancy moves. Come to think of it he only did card tricks unlike Slydini and Vernon.

I also saw Slydini several times performing for Max Jaffa who had him on quite a few times.

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 6:39 pm

AHA! I wonder, I wonder............................................

Someone check this out for me. Alas I don't understand computers. This may be one of the Max Jaffa shows with Slydini appearing.............................

http://watchmoviesonline.club/video/pla ... =tt4291180

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I have chickened out of signing up for that viewing of Slydini on the Max Jaffa show when they asked for credit card information although they assure you that nothing will be charged unless you sign up for premier membership. However, for those of you who are Slydini fans and have a stouter heart than me by all means view it and let us know how it worked out.

Return to “Buzz”