Muhammad Ali and card tricks

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Roger M.

Muhammad Ali and card tricks

Postby Roger M. » June 4th, 2016, 10:34 am

A Google search of "muhammad ali card tricks" will bring up a great many references to the fact that Ali was fond of, and indeed performed card tricks throughout his life.

The few videos of him with a deck of cards seem to show him doing "dealing out" tricks, but does anybody know any more about Ali's love for a deck of cards?
There is more than one reference to the fact that Ali had a deck of cards on his person pretty much all the time.
Did he do sleight of hand as well as the dealing tricks we see in videos?

It's sometimes revealing just how many people, famous and not so famous find joy, solace and entertainment in magic with a deck of cards.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: Muhammad Ali and card tricks

Postby I.M. Magician » June 4th, 2016, 10:55 am

What I do know is that because of his Muslim beliefs, he could not deceive people so he would expose the secret after performing an effect.

I forget the year but in the early 1970's, he was training in Reading, PA for an upcoming fight. After his training one night, he stopped by a magic event. When he walked in, Jack Chanin was performing. Jack saw him and invited him up to assist. At the end of his performance, Jack got someone to take a picture of him with Ali.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 4th, 2016, 11:27 am

Muslim beliefs as relates to our form of Illusionary Magic seems a pretty undefined area these days.

But I hadn't put Ali and the general Muslim dogma that illusionary magic isn't a good thing together before, so thanks for that info.

There are videos of Ali performing card tricks where he definitely doesn't expose the secret, as the camera catches him doing the trick and then moving on to an entirely different subject immediately afterwards.

Perhaps he was conflicted or otherwise of the belief that card magic was "OK"?

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 4th, 2016, 11:51 am

Some years ago, he appeared on 60 MINUTES where, if I remember correctly, they mentioned the deceiving aspect. I know I heard it somewhere.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 4th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Here's Rob Lowe giving accolades - and then immediately noting that he'd never forget Ali showing him a magic trick.

https://twitter.com/RobLowe?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 4th, 2016, 2:18 pm

He would most often vanish a silk using a thumbtip, and then reveal the tip.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 4th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Here you go! The silk and thumb tip and what I mentioned in an earlier post here. Watch until the end.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mu ... ORM=VRDGAR

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 5th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Roger M. wrote:Muslim beliefs as relates to our form of Illusionary Magic seems a pretty undefined area these days.

But I hadn't put Ali and the general Muslim dogma that illusionary magic isn't a good thing together before, so thanks for that info.

This was interesting to me, so I did a bit of research on the topic. I didn't realize how strongly some Muslim folks feel about this. There are certainly some Christian people who feel similarly, although I fortunately have not yet run into any, despite having done lots of church shows over the years.

I do think, however, if Mr. Ali felt that illusionary magic was Haraam, I suppose I would have rather he abstained rather than exposed.

On a happier note, here's Mr. Ali entertaining some kids:

PS: Does anyone know if Mr. Ali was a member of the Castle or if he ever visited?

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 6th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Return to “Buzz”