History.com on Houdini

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

History.com on Houdini

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 12th, 2016, 1:28 am

You probably know all ten of these things that History.com believes you may not know (though is anyone really debating his cause of death?), but it's still fun. And the short video is excellent. Please to enjoy:
http://www.history.com/news/history-lis ... ry-houdini

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Re: History.com on Houdini

Postby JohnCox » February 13th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Of course, with the Adrien Brody biopic and the awful Brad Meltzer Decoded Houdini episode (which suggested Bess murdered Houdini because he suppressed her own career), HISTORY is more responsible than anyone for spreading untruths and garbage about Houdini. Makes this article a little ironic. But, you're right, that video is nice.

[quote="Dustin Stinett"... (though is anyone really debating his cause of death?)...[/quote]

Check out the 117 comments on this post. The topic obsesses people.
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/10 ... udini.html
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » February 13th, 2016, 7:01 pm

It's what the public doesn't know about Houdini that keeps him at an almost mythical level of fame. If they new the truth about his abrasive personality and the near psychotic desire for fame (his Will stipulated that part of his estate was to be used to keep his name in the papers?) as well as the events exaggerated and constantly reiterated in books, TV and film, I wonder what they would think of him...... the man who shot Liberty Valance? My apology to Jimmy Stewart.

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » February 14th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Houdini might have had an insufferable personality at times, but the public doesn't seem to mind a celebrity, whether it be an actor, sports star, or rock star, who shows ego, competitiveness and ambition. That's not a shock to anyone. The 1998 TNT Houdini biopic showed (and exaggerated) Houdini's competitiveness and lust for fame, and it didn't tarnish his reputation one bit. Short of discovering HH ran a kitten murdering mill, I don't think he's in any danger of the public losing interest in him. We're stuck with him. :)
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Return to “Buzz”