Skint Magicians

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Skint Magicians

Postby Leo Garet » February 4th, 2016, 11:09 am

Prompted by the publishing comments in this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47758&p=322576#p322576

I’m pretty sure we’d all like to be published by someone known for quality, such as Hermetic Press and the other guy.*
But we can’t. Are there any POD companies that might fit the bill for the average skint/broke magician?
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but these things do change and move along.

*Oh yes, Richard Kaufman. :)

Ryan Matney

Re: Skint Magicians

Postby Ryan Matney » February 4th, 2016, 11:43 am

I'm already sorry I answered that question in the other thread honestly. :D

Never heard the phrase skint!

Like to add, just because it is POD doesn't mean it is not of quality. A tremendous effort by me, and several others, editing and proofing and revising has gone into Ultramodern. It is by far the highest quality product I have released in terms of production.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Print on Demand books are very common now, and can look quite nice. You don't pay anything in advance, and only make money when books are purchased. There are many companies out there, but amazon and lulu.com are two of the more well-known.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » February 4th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Ryan Matney wrote:Never heard the phrase skint!

If you’ve never been skint, you’re not as poor as you intimated. :)

I was just looking for general information, really and didn’t want to clog up the original thread.

Thanks for the reply Richard, and thanks to everyone on the original thread. Very interesting.

performer

Postby performer » February 4th, 2016, 1:56 pm

I had better translate for the heathen Americans here. "Skint" is a British colloquialism for broke. It mostly applies in a magic context to professional magicians, who although they brag about how well they are doing are as poor as church mice. And that includes all the alleged big names in magic.

I rather like Jay Marshall's dictum when hearing how much a professional magician tells you he charges. You divide by two and subtract $50 from the price he quotes you and that of course is the REAL fee!

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » February 5th, 2016, 7:20 am

If you’ve never been skint, you’re not as poor as you intimated. :)

I was just looking for general information, really and didn’t want to clog up the original thread, hence this topic.
Meanwhile thanks to everyone who responded on both threads.

For reasons only the gremlins will know, I meant to post this titbit yesterday. Must try harder.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 5th, 2016, 9:43 am

Ryan Matney wrote:
Never heard the phrase skint!

From the OED:
skint adj. pr Brit. /skɪnt/, U.S. /skɪnt/ [Variant of skinned adj.] colloq. (orig. Brit.).
def Penniless, broke.

1925 E. Fraser & J. Gibbons Soldier & Sailor Words 260 Skint, to be, hard up.
1935 ‘G. Ingram’ Cockney Cavalcade vii. 97 Edina offered him a shilling. ‘That's all right.‥ I ain't “skint” yet.’
1968 S. Gore Holy Smoke 60 He wouldn't have minded leasin' the joint to some blokes who'd been having a bit of a stiff trot, and was too skint to start up on their own.

Return to “Buzz”