Jerry Mentzer passed away

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
luigimar

Jerry Mentzer passed away

Postby luigimar » February 3rd, 2016, 12:58 pm

Found this on Facebook, by Eddy Wade:

It is with a very heavy heart that I share with you that one of my longest and best friends, Magic Methods founder Jerry Mentzer passed away, peacefully, in his sleep last night. In addition to being a prolific writer, whom many of today's magic greats credit with starting them on their way, he was a gifted performer himself. When I was 11 years old, Jerry became my Mentor. He shared the art of magic with me, helped me navigate through all the spectrums of the art to find my own style and taught me about the business of magic. I am eternally grateful to him and the influence he has been in my life. When Jerry allowed me to take over the helm of Magic Methods in April 2014, it was sincerely a fulfilled dream. I will miss my friend greatly.
luigimar

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Jerry Mentzer passed away

Postby Matthew Field » February 3rd, 2016, 1:01 pm

Very sorry to hear this. His books are a great contribution to magic and he leaves an enduring legacy.

Matt Field

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » February 3rd, 2016, 1:22 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Jerry's books were a big part of my life, and any time I asked him a question (via email) he was always quick to respond.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 3rd, 2016, 1:53 pm

So sorry to hear this. He is responsible for several of my favorite books on magic.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 3rd, 2016, 4:14 pm

A fond aloha to Jerry. He was responsible for what most people know as my first (and only) book, Deceptions in Paradise. But also many of my real favorites, like The Magic of Paul Harris. (Wasn't this Paul's first book as well?) And the Cavalcade serieses. I'm pleased to know that the shop is in good and capable hands.

"all done by Coindness"

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 3rd, 2016, 9:12 pm

Yes, Curtis, that was Paul Harris's first book. Mr. Mentzer also published one of my top-five favorite books: Fechter. And Card Cavalcade 3 is, in my opinion, one of the best and most underrated card books going.

Stephen Burton

Postby Stephen Burton » February 5th, 2016, 6:55 pm

I too thought Jerry was a wonderful magician who will be missed. He was the first person I ever saw who could handle a deck of cards and make it look like real magic. This was at a "Day of Magic" in Galion, Ohio around 1971 and though he was running a dealer's booth, he said, "What the heck, let me show you something with a normal deck of cards." I was the only person standing there watching for about 15 minutes as he ran through some of this favorite routines. It was a life-changing experience for a 13 year old wannabe card magician.

Matt Filippini

Postby Matt Filippini » February 7th, 2016, 7:04 am

So sad. Jerry thanks for the marvellous books. I still consider the Card Cavalcade books among the best on card magic.
"Magicians stop thinking too soon"
Dai Vernon

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » February 7th, 2016, 9:05 am

Jerry Mentzer was our first house guest when I bought my house in Bradford and moved NH's last magic shop to our home. Not only was he a collector of top material great writer/performer/publisher of magic, he was a genuinely sweet guy who went out of his way to share his joy of magic with any student who came his way. He will be deeply missed.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 8th, 2016, 11:10 am

Card Cavalcade was my first "serious" book in magic when I was small. All these great tricks from people whom I had never heard of, but whose work I would come to know well in the years to come. And at $12.50--what a bargain! (There's a really good John Quine effect in CCII that would fool pretty much anyone).

Years later, I met Mr. Mentzer at an IBM Convention in St. Louis. He was as nice as could be, and he fried me with Paul Harris' vanishing deck and an "English" 3 card monte routine. He then sold me my first Mullica Wallet, for which I will always be grateful (although as I recall, his demo used a bottom palm instead of the usual load--sneaky man!).

Here is a link to Mr. Mentzer's tribute page and his obituary: http://www.thomasmcafee.com/obituaries/Alfred-Mentzer/

The obituary also includes a link to donate to the IBM Endowment and Development fund in lieu of flowers, per Mr. Mentzer's wishes.

Return to “Buzz”