Derren Brown - Pushed to the Edge?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Derren Brown - Pushed to the Edge?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 22nd, 2016, 12:25 pm

El Mystico wrote, in pertinent part: "Sorry, I wasn't clear...we may have different views on the merits of the show, and that's fine...But you also say you seriously question the subjective pronouncement that this was ultimately a positive thing for any of the participants and follow it by seeming to say whatever the participants say won't change your view."

E.M., I think you have misconstrued my point, perhaps because I too may have failed to be clear. What I meant to say was that what the participants say wouldn't change my view on (as you put it) "the merits of the show." I did not say that if a participant told me it was a positive experience for him that I would necessarily think he was lying or deluded and disbelieve him, and hence, still insist on believing it was negative for him. As to the "subjective pronouncement" I was referring to, it was Mr. Brown's pronouncement in the interview that I question, not the pronouncement of any of the participants, since they have given no first-hand accounts, at least that we know of. It was, in fact, Derren who characterized the experience of the participants as "positive." (Ergo, subjective, and potentially biased, as well) So it looks like we may be in agreement after all, except of course, on the merits of the show. And you have said you feel such a disagreement is fine, as do I. So, when all is said and done, it appears that we agree on some things, and have agreed to disagree on others.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 23rd, 2016, 1:44 pm

The key result is is - Derren's mum liked it http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/637267 ... -Channel-4

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 23rd, 2016, 3:40 pm

El Mystico wrote: "The key result is - Derren's mum liked it."

The headline in question reads: "Derren Brown blasted for convincing people to 'MURDER' but it was his mum's favorite show"

Well that does indeed prove a point:

Same DNA.

Ross Welford

Postby Ross Welford » February 8th, 2016, 4:31 pm

I'm with Richard K.

I watched it when it went out, and was unsettled (to say the least). I'm generally a big fan of Derren's but this was way too dark.

At first I thought he had made the participants believe they had committed murder, and therefore the viewers believed that the participants believed (if you see what I mean).

But I watched it again, and concluded this:

- The ONE participant whose whole story was shown was the ONLY one to refuse to push the guy off the building. Why was this? This participant was, I guess, "real".
- The other three (4?) were shown in montage. Thee people, I believe, were actors.

The legal risks for a production company, and a national broadcaster, are just too great. Proper, long-term, emotional distress would be considered a very real risk. You cannot sign that off on a consent form, or do a risk-assessment to cover it.

Besides, it is a truly nasty thing to do to someone. You just cannot [censored] with someone's mind like that. So they didn't.

OK, so Goat repeats "He's a magician" as if anything he does is covered. I don't buy it, Damien. I think this is materially different from telling the watching audience that he will predict the lottery, and then making it look as though he has. That's a trick, and a good one.

This was - and I hesitate to use the word - shameful.

Return to “Buzz”