Ricky Jay and Buchinger

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill Mullins

Ricky Jay and Buchinger

Postby Bill Mullins » December 16th, 2015, 7:55 pm

A notice from today's email . . .

Exhibition

Interview

Book

Richard Hatch

Re: Ricky Jay and Buchinger

Postby Richard Hatch » December 16th, 2015, 8:10 pm

"There will be a very special limited edition available through the Conjuring Arts Research Center. Check back later in December for more info." Couldn't see anything about this on the Conjuring Arts site.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Date of publication is March 1, which means it will be available by the middle of February the latest. Surprised it's not available anywhere but from the publisher.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 16th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Thanks Bill!

Note also the discount code for 30% off for signing up for the publisher's email list.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 17th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:"There will be a very special limited edition available through the Conjuring Arts Research Center. Check back later in December for more info." Couldn't see anything about this on the Conjuring Arts site.

Just put up on the CARC site:

http://conjuringarts.org/2015/12/matthias-buchinger-the-greatest-german-living-by-ricky-jay/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 17th, 2015, 11:45 pm

No price.
One page promises availability by the end of December, while the actual ordering page won't let you order, doesn't tell you the price, and doesn't say when orders will be fulfilled.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 18th, 2015, 12:02 am

No, but you can sign up for email notification for when these questions are answered.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 18th, 2015, 1:46 am

Buchinger. Wow! I must confess that until this thread I had never even heard the name. I know that is far from the case with some of the prolific magic scholars and historians that we have on this Forum. But, I've got to say, I was blown away when I read up a bit on this illustrious figure from the 17th century, born ninth of 9 children in 1674. (The date of his death is a subject of debate, but was probably somewhere between 1726 and 1740). Others on this Forum, like me, who knew nothing about him, will be amazed to learn the following, which are just some among many incredible facts about Buchinger:

1. Known as the "Little Man of Nuremberg," he was born without hands or legs, having only "fin-like extremities, and "stood" only 29 inches high.

2. But his accomplishments were GIGANTIC, and included, but were not limited to: being an elite calligrapher, a master engraver, a talented sketch artist, inventor and a champion marksman. According to Vlad Kraven's bog, "He was an accomplished musician who played many instruments including the flute, bagpipe, trumpet and more, and a craftsman that created his own instruments. And of course, he was an unbelievable magician, able to amaze his audiences with displays of mesmerizing sleight of hand." Kraven also writes of how: "His first wife took to mistreating him, perhaps due to his excessively wandering eyes, and began beating the seemingly defenseless invalid. Perhaps thinking that he would not seek retribution, she quickly learned her lesson. One day on the street, after another rash of abusive behavior from her, he snapped and, as one author put it, '…once his anger was so much aroused, that he sprung upon her like a fury, got her down, and buffeted her with his stumps within an inch of her life.' ”

3. According to Wikipedia, Buchinger was married four times and had at least 14 children (by eight women). He is also rumored to have had children by up to 70 mistresses.

The foregoing being just some of the astounding facts about this man and his life. There is much more, too. Truly da Vinci-esque. No wonder Ricky Jay, who has collected and exhibited his art, finds him to be so utterly fascinating.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 18th, 2015, 1:13 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Buchinger. Wow! I must confess that until this thread I had never even heard the name.

I take it that you haven't read many of RJ's books, as he mentioned Buchinger in Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women; Jay's Journal of Anomalies; Dice: Deception, Fate and Rotten Luck; Extraordinary Exhibitions; Celebrations of Curious Characters; and the introduction he wrote to Magic: 1400s-1950.

He did not mention Buchinger in the episode of "Deadwood" that he wrote, nor does Buchinger appear to be present in Cards as Weapons (although mention is made of Bruce Lee, Emmylou Harris, Toshiro Mifune, Jacques Cousteau, Stephan Grapelli, and Carl Sagan -- Buchinger seems almost conspicuous by omission).

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 18th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Bill wrote:

" I take it that you haven't read many of RJ's books..."

That's true. While I do consider myself fairly "well read," I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading any of Ricky's books. However, I would take your comment as an implicit recommendation, and a glowing one at that, and it is highly likely that I will acquire the one on Buchinger. Not only is the book bound (no pun intended) to be fascinating reading, but definitely a work from which one would be able to draw a lot of inspiration. To think that a person who came into this world with the cards so stacked against him was able to accomplish what he did is mind-boggling.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 18th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Doesn't he get mentioned during RJ's cups and balls routine in "52 Assistants"?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 18th, 2015, 3:07 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Bill wrote:

"I take it that you haven't read many of RJ's books..."

That's true. While I do consider myself fairly "well read," I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading any of Ricky's books. However, I would take your comment as an implicit recommendation, and a glowing one at that,

Absolutely, I recommend them. Cards as Weapons is very tongue-in-cheek, and almost is a comedy book as much as anything else. Be advised it has pictures of naked women in it, and sometimes they are throwing cards. Dice is an art project (Rosamond Purcell fine art photos of decaying celluloid dice, with wide-ranging commentary by RJ). Journal of Anomalies, Learned Pigs, Extraordinary Exhibitions, and Celebrations are all variations on a theme: essays about unusual people (usually entertainers), or people with unusual skills or abilities. If I were to pick a favorite, I guess it would be Jay's Journal of Anomalies. But they are all good, if you like that sort of thing.

Note he has written other books as well, but these are all fairly easy to obtain, while the others, not so much.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 18th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:

"Cards as Weapons is very tongue-in-cheek, and almost is a comedy book as much as anything else. Be advised it has pictures of naked women in it..."

I will heed your admonition, for undoubtedly, such a book would offend my scrupulous morals. So I will definitely avoid reading that one...

and just look at the pictures.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 19th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:Doesn't he get mentioned during RJ's cups and balls routine in "52 Assistants"?

Yes.

In Ricky Jay's rendition of the cups & balls, "The History Lesson", Buchinger does get mentioned; along with Reginald Scot, Conus, Max Malini, Bartolomeo Bosco and Erasmus of Rotterdam.

"... this method, a personal favorite of Matthew Buchinger, The Little Man of Nuremberg.
He was only 28 inches tall - the cups obscured almost his entire body."

He goes on to say,

"Matthew Buchiner had no arms or legs - but he did have 14 children";
a line which although not inherently funny, gets a laugh anyway, due to Jay's inimitable cadence in delivery.

My favorite line is in reference to Conus ...

"Bosco had only one contemporary rival, the slightly older Frenchman named Conus, who in 1795 announced that he would make his wife who was 5 foot 7, appear under one of the cups.

Practice though I have ...

I have been unable ...

even...

to get married."
Last edited by Brad Jeffers on December 19th, 2015, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 19th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Is this the guy with an exhibit opening in NYC soon?
Same guy Ricky Jay has been mentioning since the 1970s?

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-n ... hands-feet

If so - wonderful that a modern audience can get to think about what a person can accomplish.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » December 28th, 2015, 4:49 pm

The Conjuring Arts Research Center just announced that their limited edition is now available to order.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 28th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Here is the direct link:

https://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc ... oG0xTbSnuo

I note that the $79 price of this limited edition does get you an initialed keepsake from Mr. Jay as well as a bunch of other goodies.

Looks pretty cool.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2015, 5:45 pm

From the website (you get the book, boxed, with two decks of cards and an initialed card from Ricky Jay)

What is contained in each numbered set:

One copy of Matthias Buchinger, The Greatest German Living by Ricky Jay. These sets contain the very first copies of this book available anywhere in the world.

Fancy Folding box with deluxe interior tray that holds the two decks. The box will be sealed with a seal that matches the decks of cards and has the same limitation number as they do.

One numbered Buchinger "Wig" deck. Designed by Ricky Jay, Produced by the Expert Playing Card Co using their Master Finish. The deck's tuck case is made of Expert's synthetic stock that is waterproof, tear resistant and doesn't wear out. Each deck is sealed with a custom numbered seal.*

One numbered Buchinger "Fruit" deck. Designed by Ricky Jay, Produced by the Expert Playing Card Co using their Master Finish. The deck's tuck case is made of Expert's synthetic stock that is waterproof, tear resistant and doesn't wear out. Each deck is sealed with a custom numbered seal.*

A hand letterpress printed keepsake initialed personally by Ricky Jay and enclosed in an archival mylar sleeve. This piece is suitable for framing.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 28th, 2015, 6:57 pm

As a special commemoration Conjuring Arts and Mr. Jay have collaborated on a limited edition boxed set. Each set will be numbered and the box closed with a special numbered Buchinger seal. Included in the set is a copy of the book, two different limited edition decks of cards (the seals of each deck will have matching numbers and they will also match the set number)* and a hand letterpress-printed special keepsake created especially for this boxed edition and signed by Mr. Jay.

I already ordered this, but I'm wondering whether this text means that all these items are going to be trapped in a box beneath a special numbered seal that I will find psychologically difficult to break?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 28th, 2015, 7:27 pm

yea. I was tempted to buy two - which makes me wonder:

If I were selling something like this AND someone bought two of them, it would be a fair assumption they were buying one to use and the other to keep sealed, likely in order to sell. SO, would it not be to one's advantage, as the producer/seller, to send one of the boxes empty? There is a 50/50 chance that the buyer will open the full box and never realize the other box is empty. In fact, the only way he is likely to learn the box is empty is if he actually sells it to someone and they complain after having also opened it. Unless the second hand market participants are in the same room together at the time of opening the box , there is little likelihood the original producer/seller would be implicated. The two second hand participants would be locked in dispute. The worst case scenario for the original producer/seller is that 50 percent of the time he would have to replace the opened empty unit, apologizing for this glitch, and assuring the buyer he had packed it himself and all was guaranteed.

what would Hank do?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 28th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Brad wrote: "The two second hand participants would be locked in dispute. The worst case scenario for the original producer/seller is that 50 percent of the time he would have to replace the opened empty unit, apologizing for this glitch, and assuring the buyer he had packed it himself and all was guaranteed."

I can think of even worse case scenarios. For example, images are conjured up of a duel between the disputing second hand participants; the duel is then lost by both, leaving the grieving relatives to conspire and collaborate in seeking revenge upon the seller. But then, I always did have a twisted imagination...

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » December 28th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Hey, what are you guys trying to do to us? Geez...

I ordered it and now I am reading empty box scenarios! My my...

Has anyone ever done that? If so, who did it and for what book?

Let's assume that Conjuring Arts would never do such a thing but perhaps are willing to make an exception for Brad and MagicbyAlfred who are trying to scare us.

Come on you crazy guys! :roll:

magicam

Postby magicam » December 28th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Ted M wrote:As a special commemoration Conjuring Arts and Mr. Jay have collaborated on a limited edition boxed set. Each set will be numbered and the box closed with a special numbered Buchinger seal. Included in the set is a copy of the book, two different limited edition decks of cards (the seals of each deck will have matching numbers and they will also match the set number)* and a hand letterpress-printed special keepsake created especially for this boxed edition and signed by Mr. Jay.

I already ordered this, but I'm wondering whether this text means that all these items are going to be trapped in a box beneath a special numbered seal that I will find psychologically difficult to break?

That's how I read it as well. Seems very odd to me. But perhaps it makes sense in light of the super limited edition being announced next week: 25 beautiful, leather-bound copies of this book will be enclosed in a cube of shatter-proof glass, with each corner of the cube being initialed by the author. Folks will have to drive their cars over the cube to get at the book, the binding of which will of course be destroyed by the act of breaking the cube.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » December 28th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Sounds interesting! The price?

Orlan

Postby Orlan » December 28th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Brad Henderson wrote: SO, would it not be to one's advantage, as the producer/seller, to send one of the boxes empty? There is a 50/50 chance that the buyer will open the full box and never realize the other box is empty. In fact, the only way he is likely to learn the box is empty is if he actually sells it to someone and they complain after having also opened it.

Maybe we should ask Dr. Schrödinger. ;)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 28th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I.M. wrote: "Let's assume that Conjuring Arts would never do such a thing but perhaps are willing to make an exception for Brad and MagicbyAlfred who are trying to scare us. Come on you crazy guys!"

"Crazy"? :mrgreen: Well, yes, perhaps - guilty as charged. But "trying to scare" anyone was never my intent. Just an (apparently misguided) attempt at some humor, that's all. Sorry about that...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Ted M wrote:I already ordered this, but I'm wondering whether this text means that all these items are going to be trapped in a box beneath a special numbered seal that I will find psychologically difficult to break?

I'm having the same problem with Tenyoism. I've already peeled back the seal on the envelope of tricks, but haven't yet opened any of the tricks themselves (in either the basic book or the deluxe package). Very conflicted -- do I play with the neat toys, or do I maintain "mint" condition?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Play, Bill, play. All the envelopes are resealable. The white label on the black envelope will peel off with no problem.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 29th, 2015, 1:10 pm

just to be clear - I am NOT suggesting CARC would ever try to scam anyone. It's just, in case you havent noticed, I tend to be a bit of a pessimist and always assumes the worst in any case or scenario. This is how I 'have fun.'

I also suffer from collection addiction and WOULD buy two copies and never open one.

Take those two conditions, put them together, and viola.

Again, Bill and CARC are as legit as they come. If this offer were being made by a former Boston based magic dealer, then yes, I would be concered. But my post
was the product of the misanthropic mindset of a con game enthusiast.

Speaking of which, I have a couple sets of equipment used by the legendary Titanic Thompson, still in his original valise. Sadly their are both locked, but because of that I'm willing to offer them at a steal . . .

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Putting a numbered seal on the box just seems silly to me. It's not a treasure hunt for 6-year-olds.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 29th, 2015, 2:16 pm

500 doesn't appear to be a particularly limited edition.

How many books of this kind would normally sell?

richardingram

Postby richardingram » December 29th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Off topic I'd be interested in photo's of the Thompson stuff.

On topic, ordered one, so tempted at two.

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » December 29th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Just access the box through the side panel, leaving the seal untouched. ;)
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 29th, 2015, 3:32 pm

there is no Thompson stuff.

I do have a couple items made by his protege though

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 29th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:I'm having the same problem with Tenyoism. I've already peeled back the seal on the envelope of tricks, but haven't yet opened any of the tricks themselves (in either the basic book or the deluxe package). Very conflicted -- do I play with the neat toys, or do I maintain "mint" condition?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 29th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 29th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Putting a numbered seal on the box just seems silly to me. It's not a treasure hunt for 6-year-olds.

The whole thing is silly. Lots of limited edition googaws thrown in to raise the price and create interest. And a signed keepsake from Mr. Jay. I didn't know he cared given his disgraceful behavior at that seminar in upstate New York last year.

magicalt

Postby magicalt » January 6th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Just received my copy today haven't taken the plastic rap off of the box but the stamp on it shows 98 of 500.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 6th, 2016, 4:30 pm

email blast states less than 40 copies remain.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 6th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I wonder how many bought this just to get the cards? ;)

Return to “Buzz”