Happy Thanksgiving from The Genii Family

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Happy Thanksgiving from The Genii Family

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2015, 10:39 am

We wish you the very best on this holiday, where everything used to come to a dead stop, there was no internet, and no stores were open.

Now it has become a day to buy an enormous television. Pity.

You can still tune out, but it's become more difficult!

Eat some turkey and stuffing and have a great day.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Re: Happy Thanksgiving from The Genii Family

Postby erdnasephile » November 26th, 2015, 11:17 am

I did wish to say this: I don't have any magic buddies where I live, so I am very thankful for those of you whom I've "met" on GF. Our discussions, both on the board and off, have been a source of encouragement, improvement, and inspiration for me. Thanks also to the Head Genii for making such a resource available to all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
Last edited by erdnasephile on November 26th, 2015, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Jung
Favorite Magician: Ponta The Smith

Postby Will Jung » November 26th, 2015, 11:35 am

Same to you Richard! Everyone have a blessed holiday season.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 26th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Make Thanksgiving not just a day, but a lifestyle...

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » November 26th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Peace and love.

-Ringo

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 26th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! The Genii Forum is thankful for your participation.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 26th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Richard wrote: "Eat some turkey and stuffing and have a great day."

I believe his heart is in the right place in extending Thanksgiving greetings to all of us. However, I have a different point of view, one that I have found is far from popular, and regrettably, puts most people on the defensive: Please do not eat Turkey. They are beautiful animals who have a right to life just as much as humans do. They mate, have families, play, and they bleed and feel pain just as humans do. How would we like it if a more powerful species from somewhere in this Universe came to earth and decided to make a meal of us? We can enjoy ourselves and delicious meals without consuming the remains of an animal. Are we really superior to animals, who don't pollute and ruin the environment, who don't make war, and don't kill for "sport?" If we were really superior, and the highest and most evolved species, as we arrogantly believe, we would be protecting the animals, not killing them. Just another point of view I felt needed to be expressed in this society that encourages - even glorifies - the slaughter and consumption of innocent and defenseless animals.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » November 26th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Oh yummy! We did 2 turkeys! One for a friend! And they ARE DELICIOUS!....
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

performer

Postby performer » November 26th, 2015, 1:57 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Richard wrote: "Eat some turkey and stuffing and have a great day."

I believe his heart is in the right place in extending Thanksgiving greetings to all of us. However, I have a different point of view, one that I have found is far from popular, and regrettably, puts most people on the defensive: Please do not eat Turkey. They are beautiful animals who have a right to life just as much as humans do. They mate, have families, play, and they bleed and feel pain just as humans do. How would we like it if a more powerful species from somewhere in this Universe came to earth and decided to make a meal of us? We can enjoy ourselves and delicious meals without consuming the remains of an animal. Are we really superior to animals, who don't pollute and ruin the environment, who don't make war, and don't kill for "sport?" If we were really superior, and the highest and most evolved species, as we arrogantly believe, we would be protecting the animals, not killing them. Just another point of view I felt needed to be expressed in this society that encourages - even glorifies - the slaughter and consumption of innocent and defenseless animals.

I have some sympathy with this. And more so even lately because of some very powerful advertising on the Toronto subway system. Whoever designed those ads should get some kind of advertising award. I will see if I can find any record of them on the internet if I get time. Of course hypocrite that I am I still eat meat.

Years and years ago I was dining with a friend of mine. His name is Tony Moore who used to sell svengali decks for me but then went on to join some noisy heavy metal band called Iron Maiden or something. The subject of eating innocent animals came up and I justified it to him by saying, "What I am eating now is already dead. I can't bring it back to life so I might as well eat it. I didn't kill it so I am innocent" He retorted, "Yes, but now that you have eaten it they have to kill another one"

I suppose that has bothered me a trifle through the years but yet I still eat meat with a guilty conscience.

Anyway I will try to find those subway advertisements. They are incredibly powerful. I wish I could design ads like that to advertise my services. They show two animals, one being a cat and the other a pig and the headline is "why love one and eat the other" and then they go on to compare the characteristics of two animals and show they are both as sympathetic as each other. Sometimes they vary the ad showing a dog and a chicken but always emphasising the loving characteristics of the animal that gets eaten. It talks about how affectionate and intelligent they are or how they love their family and so on.

Then they go on to show how awful the conditions they are kept in and so on. Very powerful stuff. It nearly worked on me.

AJM

Postby AJM » November 26th, 2015, 4:03 pm

You can't beat a fine bird and a good stuffing, that's what I always say.

And for those who can't bear to eat the flesh of a living beast, kill the thing first!

Andrew

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 26th, 2015, 5:45 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote: Are we really superior to animals, who don't pollute

Seriously? Have you ever been to a turkey farm? They "pollute" everywhere. You can't stand downwind of them.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 26th, 2015, 5:48 pm

But back to the thread. Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm grateful for all the good times magic and Genii and the Genii Forum have given me this year.
Thanks, Richard and Dustin!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 26th, 2015, 6:24 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:How would we like it if a more powerful species from somewhere in this Universe came to earth and decided to make a meal of us?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 27th, 2015, 1:37 am

Great link Erdnasephile! It's one reason why Professor Hawking believes it was not a good idea to send the Voyager probes out into deep space. We don't know what the heck is out there. Our television signals are already way out into deep space, so it's all too late anyway.

Return to “Buzz”