Now You See Me 2 - trailer

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

Now You See Me 2 - trailer

Postby P.T.Widdle » November 18th, 2015, 3:53 pm

performer

Re: Now You See Me 2 - trailer

Postby performer » November 18th, 2015, 4:36 pm

They were in touch with me no doubt because of my great eminence in the world of magic. Alas they did not offer me a part in the movie. They merely wanted permission to display my most wondrous book on the svengali deck in the movie.

I do thank Widdle for giving me an opportunity to advertise this piece of world class literature which is easily the best book ever written on the svengali deck by the greatest svengali pitchman of all time whom I know personally.

Here you are:

http://www.marklewisentertainment.com/h ... short.html

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 18th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Performer wrote:

"I do thank Widdle for giving me an opportunity to advertise this piece of world class literature which is easily the best book ever written on the svengali deck by the greatest svengali pitchman of all time..."

Mark, are your self-aggrandizement skills slipping?

I have taken the liberty of editing your above statement. For the edited version, one simply need eliminate the italicized/underscored words or parts of words:

"I do thank Widdle for giving me an opportunity to advertise this piece of world class literature which is easily the best book ever written on the svengali deck by the greatest svengali pitchman of all time..."

There, that's better, don't you think?

performer

Postby performer » November 18th, 2015, 6:39 pm

It looks the same to me but with some of it being in italics. I must be missing something somewhere.

performer

Postby performer » November 18th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Oh, I think I see what you mean now. Alas that would be far too immodest. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was the bragging type.

But talking about literature I have just started posting extracts from my highly regarded (at least by me) memoirs "The Lives of a Showman" on one of my magic blogs.

It may amuse and enthrall some of you to purchase said memoirs and that of course will amuse me and enthrall me too.

Here you are:

https://marklewismagician.wordpress.com/

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 19th, 2015, 8:39 am

performer wrote:They were in touch with me no doubt because of my great eminence in the world of magic. Alas they did not offer me a part in the movie. They merely wanted permission to display my most wondrous book on the svengali deck in the movie.

I do thank Widdle for giving me an opportunity to advertise this piece of world class literature which is easily the best book ever written on the svengali deck by the greatest svengali pitchman of all time whom I know personally.

Here you are:

http://www.marklewisentertainment.com/h ... short.html

According to my sources, you stole the Svengali material from Ronnie McCloud. Or did he ghost write for you? ;)

performer

Postby performer » November 19th, 2015, 1:53 pm

That is not correct. I only stole half the material from Ronnie McLeod. The other half I stole from Joe Stuthard a most worthy victim. Joe was a great magician but nobody seems to have heard of him any more which I consider a great shame. I stood entranced watching him when I was 14 years old. He was terribly good at demonstrating the wonder mouse as I recall. I do the mouse trick myself but I did not steal it from Joe since I call my mouse Marmaduke and he didn't.

However, I did steal one thing from Joe which I have used most of my life. He changed a coin into a candy which he produced from his nose. I do not bother with the candy but I do produce a vanished coin from my nose. It gets a great reaction from kids for some odd reason. I do make a strange noise from my nose which Joe didn't so that now makes it original with me which means I only half stole it.

With regard to the wonder mouse Joe was a master at it. I learned it too and here I am doing it for my own amusement. After all I have always wanted to be like those teenage magicians who put things on you tube. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvU71dSPfwY

I did write a book on this most wondrous creature. Alas the movie people do not like mice for some reason and only wanted the svengali book.

Anyway here is where you can purchase "Marmaduke the Wonder Mouse". If you can read you will be able to do the trick. If you cannot read I supply plenty of pictures.

http://www.marklewisentertainment.com/h ... ebook.html

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 19th, 2015, 8:01 pm

That was a very entertaining video featuring Marmaduke the Mouse. This is some of your best work I have seen (along with the six card repeat). So, is the mouse a ventriloquist, or was that actually you speaking that clever patter? Can one do all those effects with the pencil and the coin that are performed on the video with whatever g _m_i_k or insert (if any) that comes with the mouse? Or are those separate and distinct effects having nothing to do with the mouse apparatus?

performer

Postby performer » November 19th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Actually that was rather a rusty demonstration of the mouse as I haven't done it for a couple of years. I was having trouble remembering the routine to be frank. Age you know. For example I missed out one of the most important moves with the mouse and that is when you ask it to roll over. I cursed myself for it when I finished.

The patter was of course mine. The mouse did say goodbye to everyone with my help.

And yes. The coin and the pencil are part of the mouse demonstration and use exactly the same method and gimmick. In fact the pencil can be a pitch item on its own and when I run out of mice I simply sell the pencil instead. It is known as the "spooky pencil" and a Scottish magic pitchman named Johnny Neptune made a specialty of it. For years the standard mouse pitch had a cigarette rising out of the package but I got rid of this and substituted the pencil instead since cigarettes aren't quite what they used to be. The pencil lasts a bit longer than the cigarette thing but I think it is far more effective.

Both the coin trick and the pencil trick are included in my manuscript. Incidentally, you can also put a ring over the pencil and make it rise up the pencil. I don't do this as it lengthens the routine too much although I might experiment with it in the future.

Incidentally I do include a free mouse with my book as I have always been the milk of human kindness.

I wrote the book out of boredom. I was stuck in Las Vegas and was bored out of my mind. I don't find it an exciting city at all. Not a patch on wicked old tacky Blackpool where I learned all my evil ways.

performer

Postby performer » November 20th, 2015, 4:17 am

Here is Jimmy Dixon doing the mouse pitch from a carnival stage. He is a very famous mouse worker and is a lot more fluent than I am since he does it all the time and I don't. Note the cigarette trick which I substituted for the pencil trick. He starts the mouse pitch at 6.48 but it is worth watching the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6RK3nPPeI

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » November 20th, 2015, 9:31 am

performer wrote:That is not correct. I only stole half the material from Ronnie McLeod. The other half I stole from Joe Stuthard a most worthy victim. Joe was a great magician but nobody seems to have heard of him any more which I consider a great shame.

I saw Joe Stuthard on some TV show or other, probably David Nixon, back in the long ago. Don’t remember anything about his performance, but the name struck a chord because I’d seen it in Hamley’s Magic Catalogue, attached to The Trilby (and Bi-Co Trilby) Deck. Got this for Christmas round about the same time.

Next thing I recall is a trick from Joe in Harry Baron’s book, “How To Do Card Tricks And Entertain People”. There’s a good photo of Joe and his wife, Kay accompanying the trick.

Found the book in the local library. Loved it.

Almost forgot. Joe is listed in the BBC Genome Project.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 20th, 2015, 10:24 am

One of the engineers brought in the Google Cardboard viewer today.

How long till folks make a video of a trick using that as viewer? Misdirection? Over here.

And how much more interesting than watching an OTT setup that misses the point of magic as a craft.

now you see it: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/jump/
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » November 20th, 2015, 10:39 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:One of the engineers brought in the Google Cardboard viewer today.

And how much more interesting than watching an OTT setup that misses the point of magic as a craft.

What about an OTT set-up that doesn't miss the point..... :D ;)

performer

Postby performer » November 20th, 2015, 10:51 am

Leo Garet wrote:
performer wrote:That is not correct. I only stole half the material from Ronnie McLeod. The other half I stole from Joe Stuthard a most worthy victim. Joe was a great magician but nobody seems to have heard of him any more which I consider a great shame.

I saw Joe Stuthard on some TV show or other, probably David Nixon, back in the long ago. Don’t remember anything about his performance, but the name struck a chord because I’d seen it in Hamley’s Magic Catalogue, attached to The Trilby (and Bi-Co Trilby) Deck. Got this for Christmas round about the same time.

Next thing I recall is a trick from Joe in Harry Baron’s book, “How To Do Card Tricks And Entertain People”. There’s a good photo of Joe and his wife, Kay accompanying the trick.

Found the book in the local library. Loved it.

Almost forgot. Joe is listed in the BBC Genome Project.

I knew Harry Baron well. He was very closely associated with Joe Stuthard. He formed a company with Joe called Kaymar Magic which is still going today. The "Kay" part was Joe's wife and the "Mar" bit stood for Margaret which was Harry's wife.

And Harry Baron was also very closely associated with Ron MacMillan who was also a great svengali pitchman. In fact I have always said that if there was no svengali deck there would have been no International Magic Company in London which Ron founded and developed. That company was built on the svengali deck in its earlier days and I was a part of that in my younger days since I learned the svengali pitch from Ron MacMillan and in fact worked for him. I sold a lot of decks for him. And then I went off on my own.

I suspect that Ron got into the svengali deck because of Harry Baron's connection with Joe Stuthard and that in turn led to me doing it. So I suppose Joe Stuthard got me into it indirectly.

I watched Stuthard for ages and ages when I was 14 years old and was quite entranced by him. I have never seen an exhibition of cards tricks which entertained me so much in all the decades since. Not one single card magician I have ever seen was a patch on Joe Stuthard. And all he was using was a svengali deck!

Afterwards I asked him if he sold fanning powder. I knew perfectly well he didn't of course. I just wanted him to know that I was a magician too!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 20th, 2015, 10:52 am

Leo Garet wrote:
Jonathan Townsend wrote:One of the engineers brought in the Google Cardboard viewer today.

What about an OTT set-up that doesn't miss the point..... :D ;)

Magic works when the audience is pretty sure they know what is real. A movie starts with more than the usual dramatic suspension of disbelief and goes to use POV shots, editing, music, narrative... to make a story where there may be magic happening for the characters as depicted but for the audience it may as well be a video game CGI animation.

The film "The Illusionist" gets close to not missing that point and having the audience experience the wonder of magic as experienced by the detective character.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » November 20th, 2015, 11:48 am

performer wrote:I watched Stuthard for ages and ages when I was 14 years old and was quite entranced by him. I have never seen an exhibition of cards tricks which entertained me so much in all the decades since. Not one single card magician I have ever seen was a patch on Joe Stuthard. And all he was using was a svengali deck!

Afterwards I asked him if he sold fanning powder. I knew perfectly well he didn't of course. I just wanted him to know that I was a magician too!

Where did you see him?
Just curious.

performer

Postby performer » November 20th, 2015, 12:42 pm

At the Daily Mail Schoolboys and Girls exhibition in London. It was on a school trip. He had a big sign up saying "Canadian Funatic" or something. He was selling the svengali deck and the mouse.
There was also another magician there doing card tricks on a playing card manufacturers stand. I do not know his name but he wasn't as good as Stuthard.

Return to “Buzz”