Barrie Richardson

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill Mullins

Barrie Richardson

Postby Bill Mullins » November 17th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Barrie Richardson was to have been a guest at the Pebble3looza convention last May. But in April, Lance Pierce posted on the Magic Pebble that Barrie would not be there, and said:

"Over the last few months, Barrie has been plagued with a condition that they've recently diagnosed as aplastic anemia, characterized by an inability to manufacture platelets and white blood cells. Something like this, of course, can lead to a host of other issues. Barrie has been regularly visiting Houston to get this checked out and has received multiple blood transfusions to help provide the cells he needs.

Now that they've identified the condition, they've begun a clinical trial treatment to address it. They're hopeful that Barrie will see results in 3-6 months. Barrie expressed his regrets that he couldn't be at Pebble3looza, and he asked that I keep him on the list for next year."

Earlier today, this message from Stephen Minch was posted at the Pebble:

"Dear Friends,

I am writing with some unhappy news. Barrie Richardson is quite ill. I think everyone who has met Barrie considers him a friend—he is just that kind of a person—and most of you who have enjoyed his books feel a similar bond of warmth. There is no gentle way of putting this: Barrie will not be with us long. If you would like to send him a note to let him know how he and/or his work have affected you, or just to wish him well, please send it to me and I will forward it to him. (If you have received a similar note from Martin Joyal, you needn't reply to both of us.)

Best Wishes,
Stephen Minch"

I don't know Barrie except by his books -- but from them, I feel like I really do know him. This news is a body blow.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Barrie Richardson

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Sad news.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 18th, 2015, 4:14 am

Barrie Richardson is one of the giants in magic. His books are cornerstones in our art.

I've sent a message to him through the kind offer of Stephen Minch. I consider Barrie an inspiration and a friend.

Matt Field

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 18th, 2015, 4:43 am

This is very sad news. I met him at TAOM a few years ago, I was so happy to meet one of my heroes in magic. I asked him how he had enjoyed the current lecture, and ever the teacher, he asked me--"So, what did you learn from that?"

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 18th, 2015, 11:09 am

Just received an email from Stephen Minch that Barrie passed away last night.
RIP

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 18th, 2015, 2:15 pm

At this profoundly sad moment I'm at a loss to articulate the stirring mixture of thoughts and feelings roiling in my head and heart. At the moment I find myself recklessly tumbling in the wash of heartfelt tributes and lamentations currently flooding Facebook and elsewhere.

Barrie was my friend and mentor.
Barrie was special. Very special.

I hope to articulate and share why this is so when I can...

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 18th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Sad news. Barrie was one of the best.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » November 19th, 2015, 11:42 am

Here's Barrie's obituary in today's Shreveport Times:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shreve ... =176555374
Services tomorrow (Friday, November 20th) at 3 p.m. in Shreveport. His good friend Stephen Minch will be an honorary pallbearer.
Condolences can be posted here:
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/shreve ... 4?cid=full

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 19th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Thanks for that info, Richard. May God bless Barrie, and may he perform his greatest miracles in the great beyond...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 19th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Barrie is, no doubt, sitting with St. Peter right now and telling him, "I have as many coins as you, plus six more, plus enough . . . "

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 12th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I just stumbled across this thread and am very sad to hear this news. I made me go back to listen to the Interview that I did with Barrie when Genii published their "Jinx" issue to which he was a contributor. I realized that the file that was there was only 5 minutes long so went in search of the original interview. I managed to locate it and have just added it to the MagicNewswire archive.

For those interested, the full and complete chat that I did with Barrie can be heard here: http://bit.ly/BarrieRMNW

RIP.. .It was a pleasure getting to know you.

Return to “Buzz”