New Version of Hippity Hop Rabbits

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

New Version of Hippity Hop Rabbits

Postby Q. Kumber » September 25th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Back in 1973 I bought a set of Norman's Elusive Rabbits (Hippity Hop Rabbits in the US) from Murray at an Irish convention. I think I only performed it a handful of times. It didn't really fit me, though others swear by it.

I've just come across a video clip by Randi Rain which is, I think, the best version I've seen and adds some clever and original touches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfYbAaXtmpI

I love her performing style as it looks like she hates children. :)

It's not easy to find the price on her website. It's $200.
http://www.raincloudmagic.com/cabaret-magic/

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Re: New Version of Hippity Hop Rabbits

Postby Zig Zagger » September 27th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I agree, that's a wonderful design!

Her interesting performance style might be called Gothic Kids Magic...maybe the next big thing after decades of (1) Uncle Charlie magic and then (2) all these street-smart, hip-hop, new-kool-kids-on-the-magic-block majishuns lately? :o
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 28th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:I've just come across a video clip by Randi Rain which is, I think, the best version I've seen and adds some clever and original touches.

The design is amazing!
Unfortunately, I think she spent too much time on the design and forgot what the routine is about.
To get the reactions one want, it is good if the audience very early on begin to suspect that the figures are just turned around. With Randi's clever design, it is quite difficult to see that the rabbit and the bird have the same silhouette, and the idea that the figures are just swiveled around seems more far-fetched. This design would be better suited to a trick like Ton Onosaka's Bananapple.
The covers are also very nice, but the design detracts. As soon as I saw that the two covers formed an image, I prompty forgot what was where underneath.

performer

Postby performer » September 28th, 2015, 6:43 pm

This is supposed to be a trick for children and I think that is the way it should remain. I am here performing it at 6 minutes and 15 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGUhr2MKw4

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 28th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Well, Mark, you milked that one for all it is worth. The kids were definitely engaged in the performance and entertained. That was certainly an acceptable presentation but the ending did not quite work as effectively as it can. A little patter adjustment can fix that.

The idea of introducing the "Run Rabbit Run" bunny from the book was a novel idea and the kids immediately picked up on it. It was a clever way to add an additional sucker effect to the trick. Thanks for sharing.

The animals in the set by Randi Rain are a beautiful and clever deign but the design of the covers causes too much confusion and it becomes difficult to concentrate on the covered animals (the point of the trick). I feel that the standard color coded covers are still a better way to go with this apparatus.
Jim

performer

Postby performer » September 28th, 2015, 8:17 pm

So how would you end the routine?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 28th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Rather than "the rabbit has changed to yellow and the other has turned to red" it would be more startling to just turn each around (after the usual byplay) with "No this rabbit is yellow and this rabbit is red".

Since the kids have never been shown the backs, saying that they have "changed" is not following the logic of the trick as nothing has been mentioned about the backs. The kids are led to their own conclusion regarding the backs. It would be better for the kids themselves to think and conclude that the back has somehow changed. The performer merely needs to point out the two colors. Try it this way next time and notice the disbelief in the kid's faces and the sudden silence when THEY discover that they were wrong.
Jim

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 28th, 2015, 8:56 pm

It has been said, Mark, that two things can be equally true. Yes, the Hippity Hop Rabbits has traditionally been a trick for children. But I like to think that one of the things that is really good about performing for so-called adults is that magic brings out the child within them, suspending, at least for the moment, all those often stressful "adult" responsibilities, and hearkening back to that child-like sense of wonder and innocense we should never lose. After all, it has also been said that we never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public (although I am sure you would be quick to point out that at least the latter part of this rule is fraught with many exceptions, and to this there would be a resounding chorus of agreement). Nevertheless, I was impressed, delighted and entertained by Ms. Rain's marvelous creation and straightforward presentation. And I think most adults watching a stand-up show would feel the same. All of this being said, I want to compliment you on your superb performance. You clearly understand how to engage and entertain kids. Thanks for sharing the video.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 28th, 2015, 9:03 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:But I like to think that one of the things that is really good about performing for so-called adults...

True. One of the best performances I've seen is by Søren Pilmark and Ørkenens Sønner for an adult audience.
1:00 hour in: https://youtu.be/LfQfniO8y2c?t=3601 (No sound, but it is in Danish so no sound is an improvement ;-) )

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 28th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Tom, I am glad you shared that video of Orkenens' performance. Because the audio had been muted (apparently because the guitarist was playing a copyrighted song), I was able to focus more on the performer's personna. His smile and the sense of fun and playfulness he brought to the presentation was very pleasing to the adult audience. The reactions say it all - they were delighted and genuinely enjoyed the routine. The whole thing made me smile.

performer

Postby performer » September 28th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Jim Riser wrote:Rather than "the rabbit has changed to yellow and the other has turned to red" it would be more startling to just turn each around (after the usual byplay) with "No this rabbit is yellow and this rabbit is red".

Since the kids have never been shown the backs, saying that they have "changed" is not following the logic of the trick as nothing has been mentioned about the backs. The kids are led to their own conclusion regarding the backs. It would be better for the kids themselves to think and conclude that the back has somehow changed. The performer merely needs to point out the two colors. Try it this way next time and notice the disbelief in the kid's faces and the sudden silence when THEY discover that they were wrong.
Jim

Jim. I would have been inclined to try out your advice (even though I have no faith in it) had you not deemed my routine an "acceptable presentation". ACCEPTABLE? ACCEPTABLE? I consider such a statement far too lukewarm and the end of civilisation as we know it. I would far prefer some such statement as "an example of wonderful showmanship and unmitigated genius"

Acceptable indeed............

Besides I see flaws in your argument. The kids HAVE been exposed to mentions of the back. I have mentioned it by saying, "You don't think there is a black rabbit on the back, do you?" Sometimes I even feel my own back saying "on my back?"

I also feel that I want to soften the sucker element a trifle and your solutions sounds a bit too blunt for me. Besides what I do leads into my applause cues a bit better.

And of course I have been doing it this way for years. Any pro will tell you it is sometimes better to do things the way you are used to since you have the exact timing on it even if it is an inferior procedure. And I am not sure it is an inferior procedure anyway. Besides I am quite aged and will be dead soon so at this late stage of the game I can't be bothered changing.

Of course the above three paragraphs are probably a load of twaddle even if they do sound good. However, I have decided to type them out in great irritation at your "acceptable presentation" comment and your presentation of which is not acceptable to me.

Under no circumstances will I accept "constructive criticism" from anyone. I only require unmitigated adulation with lots of praise and glory.

performer

Postby performer » September 29th, 2015, 6:45 am

I just watched Randi's presentation again. I can't follow the effect very well. I have no idea what is supposed to happen. I get the same feeling when I am watching mentalism.

Return to “Buzz”