Framework

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Framework

Postby Tom Frame » September 24th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Hi guys,

At long last, my book Framework has been sent to the printer. It is being published by H&R Magic and it will be ready for shipping around Thanksgiving. Hooray!

So, what is Framework and why should you care?

Well, the book is collection of 34 of my best card effects, created from 1978 to 2011. It’s a 7” x 10” hard-back book with a full color dust jacket. It’s 294 pages long, with 238 photographs.

Jon Racherbaumer wrote the Foreword.

Each copy includes custom Bicycle gaffs for “Son of Hyper-Warp”

With the exception of one item, all of the effects have previously appeared in print.

Several items appeared in various magazines.

I resurrected five effects from Framed! because they deserve better treatment than they received in that the homely, obnoxious tome.

From my lecture notes, I included all of the effects from Scary Hotels and Sinister Ministrations and all but one effect from Covert Operations.

I snatched one of my very best effects from The Hypercard Project.

You’ll also find two effects from Hold ‘Em Magic.

The methods require an intermediate level of technical ability.

All of the effects include scripted presentations.

Here are the contents:

COINCIDENTAL CONJURING

Blind Dates
The Final Countdown
A Mental Case
Blind-Sided
Kitchen Synch

MENTAL MAGIC

Mutated Open Prediction
The Mystic Spinner of Doom
A Case of Polygraphy
Reversal of Fortune
Off-Color Sandwich
What You Were Thinking
The 15 Second Memorized Deck
Spellermental
Psyboards

POKER PRESTIDIGITATION

A Really Big Hand
Stoned Poker Triumph
Well-Appointed Stud
No Limit
Well Hung Hold ‘Em

SKILLFUL SORCERY

Single-Handedly
Rubber Wrangler
Forensic Evidence
Free Ace-ociation
Doubleless Misdirection Palm

TRANNY TRICKERY

Parallax
Return of the Fly
An Innocent Man
Boondoggled
Sandwich Transit
A Defective Deck
Super Shuttle
Demonic Deception
Leadership Potential
Son of Hyper-Warp

APPENDIX

Footnote Index
Bibliography

The retail price will be in the $50.00 - $60.00 range. I’ll let you know the precise price as soon as it is determined.

I sent a PDF of the book to several esteemed friends. I’ll post their endorsements as they arrive.

The ad will appear in, and the book will be reviewed in, the usual magazines

The book will be available through the dealers, H&R and directly from me. Please remember the “directly from me” part. Show the author some love! My email is tomframe1@comcast.net

52-card decks of red, Maiden-back Bicycle gaffs for “Son of Hyper-Warp” sell for $12.00 + S&H and are available only from me.

And don’t even ask about pre-orders. I don’t need no stinking pre-orders! I detest the very concept! I wouldn’t think of taking your money until the book actually exists. Harrumph!

I’m making this announcement relatively early because I want to answer any questions that you may have about my tantalizing tome. And I want to provide you with plenty of time to whip yourselves into a feral, frothing, feeding frenzy.

Speaking of endorsements, this one made my year!

"Tom's elegant, thoughtful Framework will be a welcomed happy thing for the serious sleight of hand aficionado."

- Paul Harris

Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

Tom

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Framework

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 24th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Please have a copy sent to use for review!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » September 24th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Sounds great, although I'm a tad bit hesitant on the last section since I've seen The Crying Game. :)

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 24th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Please have a copy sent to use for review!

Of course I will, Richard.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » September 25th, 2015, 12:15 am

Count me in, Tom! Looking forward to the new book. Congrats!!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 26th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Hi guys,

Allan Ackerman will have more to say about Framework, but for now, here is the description of "Spellermental" and Allan's appraisal of my effect.

EFFECT: The performer fans the deck and displays the faces to Lusinda and Marjorie, asking them to merely think of a card. Marjorie shuffles the deck and the performer puts it in his pocket.

He removes cards one at a time as Lusinda silently spells her thought-of card, one card for each letter. The final card is placed on her hand.

Marjorie takes the deck, silently spells her card, and holds the final card in her hand. The participants name their cards, turn them over and there they are! The deck is clean.

"I have made up the Spellermental deck and I have never gotten such a reaction from a spelling trick. This thing kills, plays big, and is going to be in my repertoire forever."

Thanks Allan!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 29th, 2015, 9:52 am

Hi guys,

Here is an anecdote and an endorsement from Allan Ackerman.

"I have a group of math and computer guys that get together about once a month for lunch and we are very much like card guys having a session. The local guys have seen me do lots of card tricks over the years. Last Friday we had lunch and I got asked to do an effect and I did Spellermental.

"After the effect, there was dead silence and the one new guy at the table said, 'I have seen dozens of magicians here in Las Vegas and that is without doubt the greatest magic trick I have ever seen.'

"I handed him the deck and said, you can have these. See if you can figure out the cipher."

"Tom Frame's new book, Framework, has some magnificent routines, fun patter, and some great tweaks to some standard moves. I can honestly say I am a better cardician now than I was before reading this book."

- Allan Ackerman

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 1st, 2015, 12:58 pm

Two more heavy-hitters chime in:

“Framework is a fountain of good ideas and devilishly clever variations. Tom Frame has a real knack for seeing what others might miss; for breathing new life into old plots, principles and methods. He also has a keen eye for detail. I love powerful effects with simple methods and, as always, Tom doesn't disappoint.”

- Paul Wilson

“I know it’s called Framework, but Tom serves up the whole enchilada: interesting tricks with diverse (and many times, devious) methods, each wrapped up in a quirky presentation. You’ll have fun with this wide-ranging collection of his best, fully-baked card routines."

- John Bannon

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 4th, 2015, 10:03 am

Another major player weighs in:

"In his latest book Framework, Tom Frame has assembled another fascinating collection of top-quality card magic. The serious card magician will find plenty of effects and ideas to mystify and entertain every type of audience."

- Jason England

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 4th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

A number of you have publicly or privately expressed interest in purchasing Framework. Thank you!

I have a request. If you are even remotely considering buying my book, please email me and let me know. Doing so will serve two purposes.

First, I need to have a rough indication of how many copies to have on hand, so that I can promptly ship all orders as soon as the book is available. If I start off with too few copies, I’ll have to reorder additional copies, wait for them to be shipped to me, then ship them to you, which will significantly delay your receipt of the book.

It will also allow me to create a mailing list, so that I can notify each of you when the book is ready for shipping. This will prevent you from having to check this forum every day to find out when the book is available. The mailing list is for my eyes only. I won’t share it with anyone. Thanks to Tom Gilbert for suggesting it.

And thanks to all of you for your support!

Tom

tomframe1@comcast.net

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 5th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Hi guys,

After much number-crunching and ferocious fighting, we have decided that the book will sell for $55.00.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 9th, 2015, 9:42 am

Hi guys,

Thanks to those of you who have joined the mailing list. Your responses have been very encouraging and they help me prepare for the potential demand.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 14th, 2015, 11:21 am

Hi guys,

Mike Close's review of Framework will appear in the November issue of MUM. With Mike's permission, here are some pleasing excerpts from his review.

"My mentor, Harry Riser, made this point clear to me many years ago. He told me that, given two performers of equal technical and presentational skills, the point of differentiation between them will be the quality of the material they perform. If you want to be perceived as a great magician, you need to perform great material.

"All of which brings me to Tom Frame and his new book, Framework. I met Tom Frame more than two decades ago. Tom completely busted me with one of his routines, and that is not the kind of thing you easily forget.

"I’ll just touch on a few of my favorites.

"Blind Dates allows two spectators to pair up the Kings and Queens from a deck that has been shuffled and cut. It requires no skill.

"The Mystic Spinner of Doom is a combination coincidence/prediction that requires minimal sleight of hand. It won the trophy for Best Trick of the Year from The Linking Ring.

"The Fifteen-Second Memorized Deck is a trick for magicians only, but it is a baffler. This is the effect Tom beat me with years ago.

"Spellermental requires some preparation, but it is a killer effect that leaves you with an unprepared deck at the end. It is a favorite of Las Vegas card expert Allan Ackerman.

"Two routines in the final chapter were standouts for me. Tom performed Leadership Potential for Larry Jennings, Michael Skinner, and Roger Klause at the 1995 A-1 convention in Sacramento. He blew them away with it. Tom uses it as his closing effect.

"Son of Hyper-Warp combines Roy Walton’s Card Warp with the Hypercard effect. To perform this you’ll need a special gaff (some are provided with the book) and some extra “stuff.” If you go to the trouble to make this up, you’ll have a routine that leaves an important spectator (for example, the person who hired you) with an impossible souvenir that will not be discarded.

"As I mentioned at the top, all other things being equal, what separates a magician from the rest of the crowd is choice of material. Card enthusiasts will find some strong contenders in the pages of Framework. I enjoyed it. I think you will, too."

Thanks and hugs, Mike!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 23rd, 2015, 10:06 am

Hi guys,

After resolving a few minor issues with the printer, it appears that the book will still be available in mid-November.

I received the November issue of MUM that contains “Spellermental” and Mike Close’s review of the book. I’m quite pleased. So SAM members, keep your eyes peeled. Thanks again, Mike!

The official advertisement will appear in the usual magazines in December.

Stay tuned…

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » November 7th, 2015, 10:21 am

Hi guys,

We’re still waiting for confirmation from the printer, but Framework should be ready for shipping in about two weeks.

Meanwhile, I have a special offer for you. If you purchase Framework from H&R, or directly from me, we will include an extra set of gaffs for “Son of Hyper-Warp.” Trust me, once you see the reaction the effect has on the crowd, you’ll be glad to have the additional gaffs.

If you’d like to join my mailing list to reserve a copy of the book and to be alerted when it’s available, please contact me at tomframe1@comcast.net

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » November 22nd, 2015, 9:55 am

Hi guys,

Great lashings of steaming crap!

The latest word from the printer is that the book should be printed by December 17. The sales rep offered no explanation for the delay other than stating that they were experiencing a very busy quarter. How nice for them.

So hopefully it will be available in time for Christmas.

I apologize for this unforeseen and unexplained delay. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for your patience.

Tom

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 22nd, 2015, 11:48 am

Who's your printer?

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » November 23rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

Richard,

Beats me. I let Charlie Randall handle the printer. That's a good thing. Given my current seething rage over the delay, if I knew the identity of the printer and the sales rep, I would have already spiked their cranberry sauce with LSD. And that would only result in further delays.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2015, 8:30 pm

He's using either Sheridan books or Thompson Shore. Sheridan is usually about 3 to 4 weeks for a casebound book these days (though it definitely gets busier around the holidays).

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 16th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

I just received word that the printer is supposed to ship the books to me on Thursday, the 17th. So hopefully I'll have them in my hands by the middle of next week.

Stay tuned...

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 22nd, 2015, 3:32 pm

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to report that my copies of Framework are in a truck winging its way west to me. UPS tracking indicates that I will receive the shipment on Tuesday the 29th. I'll inform everyone when I have the books in my clenched, clammy claws.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 28th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Hi folks,

Well, after much fretting and hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing, I’m thrilled to announce that I finally received my copies of Framework! I am now taking orders.

The book sells for $55.00 plus $6.00 domestic S&H or $16.00 international S&H. Each copy purchased directly from me or H&R includes 8 extra red-back King of Spades gaffs for “Son of Hyper-Warp”.

A 52-card deck of gaffs sells for $12.00 plus $3.00 domestic S&H or $12.00 international S&H if purchased separately. If you buy a deck when you buy the book, I’ll waive the S&H fee for the deck.

Signed copies are available by request.

You can Paypal the funds to me at tomframe1@comcast.net, or mail a check or money order to me at 527A 21st Avenue San Francisco, CA 94121.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 31st, 2015, 4:23 pm

Guys,

Today I shipped off the first batch of Framework. If you bought a copy, it will arrive next week.

When you've had a chance to peruse it, please chime in here with your impressions.

If you haven't bought a copy, make that one of your New Year's resolutions!

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 6th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks and wet hugs to everyone who has purchased Framework. The response has been quite gratifying. A number of you should have received the book by now. Please post your impressions of my humble offering.

If you're still straddling the fence (ouch!), keep your eyes peeled for the reviews in Genii, Magic and The Linking Ring. I certainly will.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 6th, 2016, 8:33 pm

It appears that my copy enroute to New England is taking a tour of the West Coast.
According to the Post Office it's in Washington state.

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 7th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Happy purchaser John Doyle offers his opinion of Framework, and makes my day.

“I can say that, in addition to tipping killer magic, your book is easily the most entertaining magic book I've ever read! Your humor shines on every page, and you are, of course, scary smart. Your work is a joy to behold and read. Thanks for being the real McCoy.”

Andy

Postby Andy » January 7th, 2016, 5:58 pm

I have always liked Tom and his magic. All of this is in his book include his snappy patter- entertaining and bold in these times of being politically correct. What is especially impressive are his references for sleights, moves etc. - the man knows his stuff for sure. My best book for 2015 - although I didn't get it until 201

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 8th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Hi guys,

Naturally, after Andy commended my crediting, I received this email from J.K. Hartman.

"I happened to note on page 248 a reference to “Marlo’s Reverse Drop Sleight.” This is incorrectly credited. It was published originally in my 1973 manuscript Means & Ends as the Catch Switch (and later republished in Card Craft). It has been properly attributed a number of times over the years. Even Marlo never claimed this handling. He did indeed have his own “reverse drop sleight” in a 1946 booklet by Warren Wiersbe titled Mental Cases with Cards in which the left thumb remains in position across the lower section so that the rotating card falls on top of it."

My apologies and thanks to Jerry for bringing this error to my attention. If a second edition of Framework is ever published, I will give Jerry the credit he is due.

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 13th, 2016, 8:24 am

J.K. Hartman chimes in again.

"I’m really enjoying Framework. The effects are strong, the methods are sound – crisp and direct. The book is certainly one of the best I’ve encountered in quite a while."

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 17th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Richard,

Thank you so much for your approbation of Framework in your February More Genii Speaks video and at the Magic Café.

Today is our 15 year wedding anniversary and your endorsement is a delightful gift.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » February 21st, 2016, 10:08 am

French magician Jerome Cadeac, who will be performing at the Magic Castle in late April, offers his impressions of my tome.

“Framework is a great work! Sincerely. Even though I’m in love with old classical tricks, I find your book very interesting to study. It’s been a long time since I read a book which pleases me on every page.”

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » February 23rd, 2016, 3:22 pm

UK magician Mike Donoghue chimes in with his early appraisal of my book.

"I haven't read all of Framework yet, but so far I think it's excellent. I love the effects and love your style of writing and humor."

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » March 2nd, 2016, 3:38 pm

Hi guys,

Here are Mike Donoghue's additional impressions of my book.

"Still not finished reading this.

However I am doing my usual. I start at the front(which is normal). Then after reading a couple of chapters, I chop & change, reading an effect from the back & picking random effects out. I jump from one trick to another( Maybe Tom has a technical term for this in his profession HA).

The book is a handsome volume of totally excellent handlings of some standard effects (& some not so standard routines).

Not only are you treated to beautiful clarity of effect, you are also taken on a masterful route to achieve this. In other words the moves etc to achieve the end result are direct & efficient. Tom has cleaned up & improved the path.

His sense of humour is great. He's a really funny guy & I found myself laughing out loud(no I ain't mad) at his patter.

I would love to see Tom doing some of these effects on a DVD.(think it would be a best seller).

I realise that a lot of people by pass books which is their loss.

I read an effect with a deck of cards & elastic band & it's like nothing I has seen before. I can imagine working at an event with another magician & him seeing me do this & asking where I got it from. I bet it would sell for £30 as a one trick dvd. & if it was done in a lecture , people would put their hands in pockets to pay for it. However, buy the book for £40 & you recieve a heck of a lot of doable, workable A1 material.

Thanks for putting all of these goodies in one place Tom.

Fantastic .

Mike Donoghue"

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » March 13th, 2016, 10:24 am

Here's a link to a pleasing review on the Café:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 8&start=30

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 13th, 2016, 10:51 am

Just got the book and starting to read!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » March 13th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Bob,

Well it's about damn time!

I hope you like it. Please feel free to share your impressions with the rest of the class.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » March 19th, 2016, 10:17 am

Kainoa Harbottle's review of Framework will appear in the May issue of Genii. Here's a pleasing excerpt:

“For me, what makes this collection most successful is Frame's writing. Imagine David Regal having an attitude problem and you pretty much can imagine Frame's tone. Almost every trick is hysterical in both its teaching and its patter. There are effects for everyone in Framework, and it is as entertaining as the material is strong.”

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2016, 3:26 pm

I like books that give me ideas and Tom's book certainly does that. Though I haven't worked through every effect, there were two that jumped out and I had to gather them up and make them get back in the book.

"Blind Dates" is a great coincidence effect and the method is dear to my heart since I used something similar to create a bar bet scam. There's no money to be made in Tom's trick, but that's okay.

However, the trick that really made me start thinking about effects and methods, was "Sandwich Transit" (pp.227-238). I'm not really a sandwich-effect guy, but a few days before Tom's book arrived, my student, Christian Au, had shown me several really good sandwich effects. So my mind had been primed. My only suggestion is to allow for slightly inebriated spectators (very common here in the Canadian outback): use two red aces and two jacks (preferably the one-eyed jacks, H&S), so the transits from pair to pair are clear. Using all queens may be too subtle for some (usually indicated by, a "Huh?" from the audience).

I've worked out a sort of "lite" version for those whose attention span may be shorter than normal (i.e., the lumberjacks noted above). I'll write it up and send it to Tom for "Framework--The Sequel."

The crediting is excellent. I'd always thought Steranko had created the tabled reverse but Tom straightened me out on page 47. Somehow Tom, as a psychotherapist (a sort of chiropractor for psychos), realized I needed some clear and focused thinking and he has provided plenty of that.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » April 18th, 2016, 2:05 pm

Hi guys,

You'll find Kainoa Harbottle's glowing review of Framework in the May issue of Genii. Read it and then place your orders!

Thanks,

Tom

tomframe1@comcast.net

luigimar

Postby luigimar » April 18th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Just read the review and there is a little problem:
at the end a link is given, but it is wrong. It takes you to a page that says the domain may be for sale. I think this is the correct link
https://www.magicbookshop.com/

:)

luigimar
luigimar

Return to “Buzz”