Maurine Christopher Swindled?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Maurine Christopher Swindled?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2015, 9:01 pm

This shouldn't come as a surprise: I think we could all see this coming.
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2015072 ... court-docs
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Haversat

Re: Maurine Christopher Swindled?

Postby David Haversat » July 27th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Besides the distributing accusations made by the one side filing the complaint, what I found to be sad is how Maurine is portrayed as an alcoholic drunk. From the time I knew Maurine in the 1990's to the time of her death in 2013, I never witnessed Maurine intoxicated. I also find it odd that it mentions she was forced to sell her husband's magic. Maurine hosted two very successful auctions, one in 1997 and another in 2011. The latter I helped curate, writing the descriptions and personally selected each lot with Maurine. This was an event she spoke about for years and was much anticipated, the results were record setting. What Maurine Christopher personally did with the money she gained from the auctions or the items I purchased was never a thought nor a concern. While I have not read the documents filed by the attorney, the reporter did read me some additional information not published in the article. One statement was that Milbourne Christopher trained under Houdini, this never happened. Christopher never met Houdini and was 12 years old in 1926. The point is the courts will have to determine what is factual in the complaint and what is not. Each side will have an opportunity to answer the charges. What I can say is Maurine was a smart business woman who spent a great deal of her life promoting her late husband's legacy and magic in general.

David Haversat

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 27th, 2015, 10:53 pm

A sad story.

Just as an aside:

In about 1978, I played the part of Houdini in a musical about his life that ran at Hunter College in NYC. I don't know how Milbourne Christopher heard about it, but somehow he got wind of the show and came to a performance. After the play he spoke to me, and to the best of my recollection, he told me then that he had met Houdini. He stressed that I needed to be tougher, more wise-guy, and more aggressive in my playing of the role in order to be more like the real Houdini. Now maybe he was just trying to impress a young guy; but my recollection is that he said that he had met him.

houdinisghost
Favorite Magician: McComb

Postby houdinisghost » July 27th, 2015, 11:53 pm

He didn't meet Houdini.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 28th, 2015, 12:24 am

Patrick, is it possible it was Hardeen and she was just mistaken?

houdinisghost
Favorite Magician: McComb

Postby houdinisghost » July 28th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Milbourne knew Hardeen pretty well. He said to me, "the Kellock book was Bessie's story, my book was Hardeen's story, and Bernard Meyers book is Leopold's story."

Return to “Buzz”