Penn and Teller FU

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jonathan Pendragon

Penn and Teller FU

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » July 22nd, 2015, 9:34 am

It's a line from the Odd Couple, "You leave me little notes, we're all out of cornflakes, FU. It took me four hours to realize FU meant Felix Unger, it's not your fault Felix, it's a rotten combination."

I really enjoyed seeing friends on the show and I was amazed at the audacity of the production. I thought Teller's Tempest and their work together on the Vermeer documentary was genius. In FU, like the first page of every chapter in Jim Steinmeyer's Device and Illusion, you are getting priceless pieces of information in a manner so short and entertaining you might miss it.

The Balancing act of speaking in code (which I love because it reaffirms the perception of magic as a secret art) without exposing to all but the brethren, is better done than I would have believed possible. Penn's often benevolent (and really imposing) teacher-side uses history to entice. If you have no idea who he is talking about (he references the innovators who influenced or created routines presented) you'll google it later. That it pushes established magicians to create new material or showcase their signature piece is awesome. It's the advice given to the younger or newer performers that makes this show an episodic master class for us and a highly entertaining show for everybody else.

fyi i am on the other cw show with magic, no bother, just mentioning.

Jack Shalom

Re: Penn and Teller FU

Postby Jack Shalom » July 22nd, 2015, 9:42 am

Penn had me going for quite a while a few weeks ago when he was talking about a method, and he referenced a famous cartoon rabbit who was not Bugs Bunny.

I admit, it took a bunch of Googling before it finally hit me in the head...

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » July 22nd, 2015, 9:55 am

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:It's a line from the Odd Couple, "You leave me little notes, we're all out of cornflakes, FU. It took me four hours to realize FU meant Felix Unger, it's not your fault Felix, it's a rotten combination."

Nobody remarks on it, but it's the same with Francis Urquhart from House Of Cards and, likely, Francis Underwood. I haven't seen the Spacey version, so don't know.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 am

I am not nobody, is that a double negative?

AJM

Postby AJM » July 22nd, 2015, 11:50 am

I so happened to see a recent interview with Michael Dobbs, the ex Member of Parliament and author of House of Cards as well as being a producer on the U.S. version of the show.

He was discussing the various changes that needed to be made for the U.S. Version which included the name of the leading character.

He mentioned that he was pleased that the FU initials were retained as he felt that was particularly important.

Andrew

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » July 23rd, 2015, 11:04 am

Spacey is well versed in the Shakespearian character (not the real man) that Underwood is based on, Richard III. There is a wonderful documentary called "Looking for Richard" that Spacey was in. Al Pacino spearheaded the piece. What I found most interesting was the different attitudes about acting out the play that were expressed by actors from the UK and America trained in technical and or method. The section on iambic pentameter is priceless.

I have trained actors to do all kinds of stuff from juggling to gymnastics, I even taught the Cups and Balls to John Wayne (I swear it). I tutored Kevin Spacey on how to smoke a cigar. We performed in an ensemble cast of who's who in the arts at the 1997 Presidential Gala at Ford's Theater. The tradition is that show includes a speech about Abraham Lincoln, who was shot in that very theater. Spacey gave the speech. After the show, several of the performers sat in the Bar at the Watergate Hotel, where we were staying. Gregory Hines, an idol of mine, and I talked about the Nicholas Brothers (gods) while Spacey was rolling on the floor with my big samoyed, Juneau. He loves dogs, they were having a blast. Hines said something amazing and true. He told me that if they ever did a bio pic on the Nicholas, they would have to CGI their moves because there is no one alive who can duplicate their work.

One of Gregory's troupe, a gorgeous brunette, asked if I would teach her how to properly light a cigar. I handed her a corona from my stash which I use to carry in my ever present messenger bag. Spacey who was about to film, In the Garden of Good and Evil, had never smoked a cigar and his character did. he asked that I teach him at the same time. I agreed as lone as he answered one question about the film "The Usual Suspects." This was about a year after the film had been released. Before I could say another word, he stopped and asked the group if anyone had not seen the movie. A couple of hadn't, so Kevin asked that no one say anything that might give away the ending, which I thought was cool. I asked him if the cast new before the film's release about it's revelation. Spacey said that the only person who got "burned" was Gabriel Byrne. They had cut the red herring scene so well and made such a strong point that, apparently, Byrne turned to his wife and said in shock, "They changed the ending, I am Keyser Soze?"

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 23rd, 2015, 12:34 pm

It would appear that Mac King is to be on the next episode.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » July 23rd, 2015, 1:01 pm

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:I am not nobody, is that a double negative?

Not at all. Nobody is a good pal of mine. And he often speaks of car parks in Leicester.

As for Keyser Soze, as far as I'm concerned, Pete Postlethwaite is Keyser Soze and he's waiting for Verbal to do the business and clear the trail completely. It is Verbal they're looking for, after all.

If you'd seen the out-takes that I haven't then you wouldn't understand as much as I don't. Alternatively you might not. Which I think is the whole purpose. But then what do I know? Nobody told me anything. Or even nothing. Check the noticeboard. :?

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » July 23rd, 2015, 1:12 pm

AJM wrote:I so happened to see a recent interview with Michael Dobbs, the ex Member of Parliament and author of House of Cards as well as being a producer on the U.S. version of the show.

He was discussing the various changes that needed to be made for the U.S. Version which included the name of the leading character.

He mentioned that he was pleased that the FU initials were retained as he felt that was particularly important.

Andrew

If this interview was in Radio Times, then I must have read it too. Dobbs had a double page feature/interview a few months ago.
I must also have read the FU references, too. That's my memory for you. :(

Return to “Buzz”