Danny Doyle - Intoxicating Magic in Vegas

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Danny Doyle - Intoxicating Magic in Vegas

Postby CraigMitchell » July 18th, 2015, 4:16 pm

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2015/ ... ng+Reasons

"Fans of dinner theater are about to get another heaping helping in Las Vegas. This one, entitled Intoxicating Magic, promises “an outstanding four-course meal with premium bar service followed by Chicago-style close-up illusions performed right at your table". If that mouthful doesn't jolt you into speed-dialing the reservations hotline, perhaps the headliner will. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the amazing “Master Magician” Danny Doyle!

Alright....let's be honest here. We really have no idea who in the blazes Danny Doyle is. After receiving a press release and media invite for July 18th’s sneak preview, this writer felt compelled to do a little digging.

I reached out to some folks who are deeply entrenched in the world of Vegas magic. A hardcore magic fan who calls Lance Burton and David Copperfield his friends. A husband-and-wife entertainment team with memberships to the legendary Magic Castle in Los Angeles. Even a current Vegas headlining magician (who, like Doyle, hails from Chicago). Their replies were a unanimous “Who?”.

Having hung out with a few illusionists in my free time, I can testify that magicians are like a secret society. They have a culture all their own. And they’re an opinionated group...with distinct rules of performance etiquette, rites of passage, and a time-honored system for passing down illusions."
Last edited by CraigMitchell on July 19th, 2015, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

West McDonough

Re: Danny Doyle - Intoxicating Magic in Vegas

Postby West McDonough » July 18th, 2015, 6:57 pm

I asked Jonathan if he'd heard of him. At first he thought I was talking about the director, but after remembering that was actually Danny Boyle he thought again... and we have a hit! Possibly. Jonathan thinks he remembers this as the name of a guy who was booking acts down to Cancun 5 years ago — if it is, then he booked Jonathan's ex for awhile. But no awareness of this guy as a performer.

Krenz
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder and Juan Tamariz

Postby Krenz » July 19th, 2015, 2:40 am

Aside from the Google search, you can ask Chicago magicians, as Danny is from there.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 19th, 2015, 9:43 am

Richard, don't shoot the messenger.

I didn't write the article. I simply posted the link and accompanying extract... it was interesting as for the first time you actually had a 'writer' doing some 'work' besides just reposting a press release.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2015, 10:24 am

I didn't shoot you, Craig. :D

Krenz, good to see you!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 19th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Todd Robbins directed. That's not chopped liver.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2015, 9:09 pm

I can list a lot of movies that Spielberg directed that are most definitely chopped liver ... and worse.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 20th, 2015, 8:00 am

The rest of the article is just as amusing ;)

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » July 21st, 2015, 11:44 pm

Intoxicating Magic is a show I've created with magician Danny Doyle. Danny has been a working pro for several decades but is not well known in the magic community.

For a gig he had in Puerto Vallarta he worked up an extended formal close up set based upon the material Charlie Schulien taught him when Danny was a teenager and the material Danny used for a decade as one of the house magicians at Schulien's.

The response was strong and Danny so enjoyed the experience that he decided to expand upon it and asked my help in creating a show based upon the Chicago Bar Magic tradition. That show is Intoxicating Magic.

We will be doing our first performance this Saturday night in a private dining room at the Strip House restaurant at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.

This first performance is very much a tryout not only for the show but also the venue. The ticket price includes a four course meal and open bar that precedes the entertainment. I must say that the venue has wonderful cuisine but the management has been less than ideal. That snarky blog all came about because the GM had not told his staff about the show.

It is amusing to note that this blogger has been invited to attend the show but can't since he doesn't live anywhere near Las Vegas.

Even if we continue to do the show at the Strip House, the number of performances will be limited due to the fact the show has been booked at a resort in the Dominican Republic starting this coming November and will be running through April.

As for that ripoff report website, that that is part of a smear campaign by a former act that Danny's entertainment company used to book at resorts in the Cancun area. The act unsuccessful tried to steal the contract for booking those resorts away from Danny, and when they failed, they then put their efforts into attempting to damage Danny's reputation.

And finally, the difference between Spielberg and me is that I'm always good, thank you very much.

Todd Robbins

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » July 31st, 2015, 12:48 pm

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2015, 12:55 pm

A very good review!

Return to “Buzz”