Tommy Cooper - dies on live TV

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Tommy Cooper - dies on live TV

Postby Joe Mckay » July 17th, 2015, 12:57 pm

I always knew that Tommy Cooper died live on stage. I could never remember if it was on TV or not. Or whether the video was still available.

Well - I just saw Doug Stanhope (my favourite comic) tweet a link to the footage.

It took place midway through his act on a variety show called Live From Her Majesty's, which was transmitted live on British TV, from Her Majesty's Theatre.

I am not sure if I am breaking forum rules by linking to it. And I apologise for being morbid.

But - until the mods may or may not take this post down - here is the footage:

REMOVED BY RK: JOE, THAT WAS IN THE WORST TASTE IMAGINABLE.

As sad (and bizarre) as this event was. It is now a small part of his legacy in a strange sort of way.

AJM

Re: Tommy Cooper - dies on live TV

Postby AJM » July 17th, 2015, 1:05 pm

I don't think this is at all appropriate.

Andrew

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 17th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Links to this are routinely taken down because it's not really appropriate or a pleasant memory for those who remember it the first time round.

It would be a good thing to delete the thread, or edit out the link. Thanks.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 17th, 2015, 1:30 pm

While I don't plan on watching the link, I don't think it ought to be removed. No one has to go see it. If the poster had embedded into his post a video that started on its own, that's another thing altogether and should be removed.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 17th, 2015, 1:36 pm

It seems disrespectful to his surviving family/friend/fans, who (understandably in my view) could find the dissemination of this video (via a very popular public forum like this this one)to be distressing.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 17th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I don't have a girlfriend.

So I have no idea what is appropriate behaviour in this day and age. So I apologize if I offended anyone.

That said - the moment lives on in folk memory due to the unique nature of Tommy Cooper's act. As can be seen - people were laughing - and thought his collapse was a part of the act. Since it fit in so well with the rest of his act which involved deliberate screw ups and things going wrong.

The strange thing is that nothing sums up Tommy Cooper's performing persona better than the the fact that he died on stage, and people were laughing because they thought it was part of the show.

That one fact about his life (and death) will be the one thing he will be remembered for a hundred years from now.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 17th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:It seems disrespectful to his surviving family/friend/fans, who (understandably in my view) could find the dissemination of this video (via a very popular public forum like this this one)to be distressing.

I would want evidence that these people exist, participate in the Forum, and are actually distressed before I'd start deleting links or threads based on their emotions.

The position this represents isn't even a heckler's veto. It's a hypothetical heckler's veto.

Heaven forbid we have to start labeling posts with "trigger warnings" and whatnot. There is a wealth of the history of conjuring discussed on this forum, and Cooper's death, while tragic, is a part of that history. Discussions of it, including links to the video (posted with respect and caution, as was done here) should not be forbidden.

The Magic Café is a better place for Concern Trolls to get together.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 17th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Like the dozens of beheading (and worse) videos from Mexico and the Arab countries, when I see a link to such a video in some forum or blog, I always ignore it, and move right on to the next post or article.

Deleting threads or links to something on LiveLeak may not accomplish much ... if anything.
Although LiveLeak may not have the massive YouTube viewer numbers, it's still got an incredibly large viewership, and as it specializes in NOT being YouTube, it has little censorship as relates to real world events.

So, click or don't click ... internet links are more about the reader than they are the poster.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2015, 2:45 pm

I deleted it. It was shameful of John Fisher and the BBC to air it in the first place, which is where everyone copied it from.

Can't a person die with a little respect?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 17th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
Chris Aguilar wrote:It seems disrespectful to his surviving family/friend/fans, who (understandably in my view) could find the dissemination of this video (via a very popular public forum like this this one)to be distressing.

I would want evidence that these people exist, participate in the Forum, and are actually distressed ...
Evidence? Really?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to harbor the possibility that the man had friends / relatives / fans who might find a "death video" posted in a very public place distressing.

Am I personally distressed by this particular instance? No. But I don't think it's untoward to (at least attempt) to have some sort of standard in regards to this sort of thing.

I understand Reddit (and probably other sites out there) can be a great place for this sort of discourse, but it seems a bit off to have it here.

I'll certainly respect whether or not Richard and Dustin are ok with this sort of thing. At the end of the day, it's their call.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on July 17th, 2015, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 17th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Bill

What mince you speak.

Andrew

(Let's see if your googling skills can define the word 'mince' in this context.)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 17th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I deleted it. It was shameful of John Fisher and the BBC to air it in the first place, which is where everyone copied it from.

Can't a person die with a little respect?

One would hope so.

It's my view that you made the right call here, and if anyone chooses to take issue with that... well... I'll consider it to be their concern, not mine.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 17th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Bottom line, Richard's House, Richard's Rules.

They aren't the same as the rules I'd use, but I'm not up for building and supporting a Forum like he does (and for which I'm grateful).

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 17th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Bottom line, Richard's House, Richard's Rules.

They aren't the same as the rules I'd use, but I'm not up for building and supporting a Forum like he does (and for which I'm grateful).

Very few people are, especially for the long haul.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 17th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I am cool with RK's decision.

Not that it matters since it is his forum.

Sorry for going too far!

For what it is worth. If I ever become a famous magician and die on live TV. I am more than happy for that footage to be shown here.

Just want to get that on the record now since I have a new Odd Back Progressive Assembly with Reverse Kicker that is gonna take me right to the top!

Return to “Buzz”