"American Pickers" & Houdini

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

"American Pickers" & Houdini

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 25th, 2015, 9:38 pm

The latest episode of the "American Pickers" television program has a segment with Harry Houdini and other magic and magicians.

Houdini is (of course) the focus and the "pickee"--a museum owner in Warm Springs, Georgia--has several handcuffs and shackles he claims belonged to the escape artist (he pointed out the "documentation," but the show being what it is, there was no detail on that). One can also see a Carter poster, an Alexander poster, a collection of wands and other ephemera (including throw-out cards, all pinned to the display--yikes!).

There was also a small collection of miniature illusions made by the man who "started the magicians' club" that he used to expose their secrets--or so says the proprietor. (No, the show did not expose the secrets.)

I found the place online, though no details about the magic: http://www.prestonopportunities.com/

hugmagic

Re: "American Pickers" & Houdini

Postby hugmagic » June 25th, 2015, 9:57 pm

There was a guy in Atlanta years ago. I believe his name was Chandler who had a huge collection of magic. Of course, Abb Dickson had a lot of stuff that had been liquidated over the years. It was Abb's mother, Edith, that suggested at FDR travel to Warm Springs for his polio. He was a close family friend.
Provenance is very important as to whether these items ever belonged to Houdini or others. A lot of Houdini handcuffs over the years have had dubious authenication. Especially with recent things going on, solid documentation is very important.
Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 25th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Richard, correct if I am wrong, but it seems to me that Houdini's own brother sold stuff to people claiming his late brother used it, but that was not the fact.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 26th, 2015, 2:21 am

Thanks for posting this.
I lived in Warm Springs for six years (from age five to eleven) so this was interesting to me on many levels.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 26th, 2015, 5:13 am

I thought one piece of his documentation looked like a Hardeen letterhead.

Return to “Buzz”