Chan Canasta Art Exhibition in NYC

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

Chan Canasta Art Exhibition in NYC

Postby P.T.Widdle » May 22nd, 2015, 9:44 am

Looking forward to attending this.

https://www.chambermagic.com/chan-canasta-art-exhibit

Anyone want to take a stab at a list of magicians who were/are also painters?

Steve Cohen

Re: Chan Canasta Art Exhibition in NYC

Postby Steve Cohen » June 9th, 2015, 2:48 pm

If you are a fan of Chan Canasta, the extraordinary Polish mentalist, you'll want to attend a historic, one-day exhibition of his paintings in NYC. On June 28 (Sunday), 2015, we are holding a free viewing of 40 paintings Chan Canasta painted throughout his life. This is the largest collection of his paintings ever to be gathered in one place, and took me a great deal of time and effort.

This is going to be a historic event with around 40 paintings on display. Chan's wife is coming to NYC from Europe and we're going to screen some footage of Chan that she received from Cy Endfield's widow.

Doug McKenzie will be displaying about a dozen Chan Canasta paintings that he has collected.

Here is an article explaining how the event came about:
https://www.chambermagic.com/chan-canasta-art-exhibit

The event is 100% free. I am covering all costs myself. It will be held in my suite at the Waldorf Astoria NY.

The sole reason I'm producing this event is to give Chan's widow some closure, and to show her that her late husband has left behind an important legacy.

I hope you'll be able to join us.
-Steve

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 9th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Wow. Thanks very much, Steve.

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » June 24th, 2015, 8:27 pm

I've just added a new Chan Canasta painting to this Sunday's exhibition - one owned by Derren Brown. He couldn't send the painting in time but we have a fine reproduction that will be on display. All other paintings - nearly 40 - are originals painted by Chan Canasta. It took a lot of detective work, and considerable financial resources to put together this one-day event.

If you want to see the largest ever collection of Chan Canasta's paintings, please join me this Sunday (June 28).

The event is 100% free. I am covering all costs myself. It will be held in my suite at the Waldorf Astoria NY.

The sole reason I'm producing this event is to give Chan's widow some closure, and to show her that her late husband has left behind an important legacy.

I hope you'll be able to join us.
-Steve

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » June 29th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Yesterday I launched a one-day art exhibition as a tribute to Chan Canasta, the admired magician who left show business to follow his passion as a painter.

Canasta died in 1999, and I recently became friends with his widow Renata. Over the last 5 months, we worked together to locate nearly 40 of Chan Canasta's paintings, and I displayed them yesterday in my suite at the Waldorf Astoria. Approximately 150 people attended, and the event was a fantastic success.

Doug McKenzie is equally passionate about Chan Canasta, and generously loaned his collection of Canasta paintings to the show.

Derren Brown allowed us to display his Chan Canasta painting as well.

Throughout the afternoon I performed some of Chan's card magic, and also screened some television footage of Chan so vistors could see him "at work."

This event will be subject of a feature article in Genii Magazine in the near future. Thank you to everyone who supported my first art exhibition!!

Photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/steve.cohen1/media_set?set=a.10153549024547784.1073741843.547937783&type=3&pnref=story

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 29th, 2015, 9:33 pm

It was a lovely afternoon of art, high tea, and magic. Steve was a wonderful host. Many thanks, Steve.

Return to “Buzz”