PEBBLELOOZA 3

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Eric DeCamps

PEBBLELOOZA 3

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 15th, 2015, 5:18 pm

PEBBLELOOZA 3

The 3rd Annual PEBBLEPALOOZA is happening next weekend (May 22 & 24, 2015) in Dallas,TX. Lance Pierce has organized a wonderful list of guest speakers that include Curtis Kam, Tony Cabral, and Allen Okawa. I am honored that Lance has also invited me to join this distinguished group of speakers.

In my talk I will be discussing my approach in presentational challenges in the performance of close up magic. As examples of how to address those challenges, I will disclose material that I have never discussed before. Performance material from my S.A.M. Gold Medal winning act will be shared for the first time.

From what I hear Lance has some surprises in store for attendees. There are only a few seats left, so don’t mull it over any longer. For more information and to register please go to: http://www.lancepierce.com/pebble3looza/
Hope to see you there!

Eric DeCamps

CURTIS KAM

TONY CABRAL

ALLEN OKAWA

ERIC DECAMPS
Last edited by Eric DeCamps on June 22nd, 2015, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric DeCamps

Re: PEBBLEPALOOZA 3

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 20th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Just a reminder this is happening this weekend.
There may be a seat or two left, so don’t wait any longer.
For more information and to register please go to: http://www.lancepierce.com/pebble3looza/
Hope to see you there!

Eric DeCamps

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 21st, 2015, 6:46 pm

PEBBLEPLOOZA 3
Arrived this morning and it's been non-stop since the jet's tires hit the ground. Witnessed some jaw dropping magic from the likes of Jordan "Tiny" Burgess Howard Hamburg and a guy named Bill Malone. The get together officially starts tomorrow, but if today is any indication of what the weekend has in store, this is going to be something special.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 22nd, 2015, 9:18 am

PEBBLEPLOOZA 3 - DAY BEFORE RECAP
Yesterday was amazing time with old friends and some new ones. Howard Hamburg is a sweetheart. What a great guy with a great touch for the pasteboards. Fantastic seeing my buddy Kevin E Oliver. He's one of my all time favorite people. Had a fun filled dinner with him, the always joke telling Norman Beck, Antonio M. Cabral and his lovely wife, and Jeff the tower clock king. We laughed all evening at dinner. Good also to see and visit with Jordan Burgess, Jared Kopf and Tony Chang.
I'm looking forward to attending the talks today by Curtis Kam , and Allen Okawa. I'm sure they will blow my mind.
Talking about blowing my mind. My bud Bill Malone melted my brain with his card handling. All I can say about his work is... thank goodness he chose to use his powers for good!
Can't thank Lance Pierce enough for putting this all together.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 24th, 2015, 9:36 pm

PEBBLEPLOOZA 3 - DAY 1 RECAP
DAY 1 of PEBBLEPLOOZA 3 is in the history books. The camaraderie and fun started at breakfast where we shared performance stories and some magic. Then it was back to the hotel to see our first speaker, Curtis Kam. Curtis' talk was about his procedure of analyzing sleight of hand magic and presenting it to a lay audience. As examples Curtis performed a wonderful interpretation of the classic three ball routine, color changing knives, and the signed card trick. He also presented a very interesting analogy between the the performance of magic and pro-wrestling. A fascinating talk and Curtis received a well deserved standing ovation.
Between speakers we had ample time to visit with friends and breakout into session groups to share more magic. Attendees like Bob White, Presley Guitar, Howard Hamberg, Bill Malone, Tony Chang, Jared Khof and many others just sitting down and performing for everyone. What a bonus that is.
After dinner we assembled back in the lecture room to see our second speaker, Allen Okawa. Simply put Allen Okawa is a living magic legend. He studied under two greats in our art, Dai Vernon and Mike Skinner. His magic was classical in approach and it was devastating. Just beautiful work combined with a sincere presentations, soft spoken manner, charming wit and devastating construction and technique/execution. He shared advice from his two mentors and other magic legends. In his talk he addressed and presented classics of close up magic, such as thimbles, coins, cigarettes, sea shells, and his masterpiece... THE ROCK. The Rock is an original piece of magic of Allen's that I've heard about for decades and the piece did not fail to live up to its reputation. At the end of the lecture, the Pebblers had no choice but to jump up and give this man the standing ovation he so richly deserved for his work.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 25th, 2015, 10:10 pm

PEBBLEPLOOZA 3 - DAY 2 RECAP

The day kicked off with "Share Sumptin." Here attendees can step up to the close-up table and present a new piece, technique, or an idea. It's a terrific way to get feedback from a diversified group of enthusiastic magical thinkers.
In the early afternoon attendees regrouped for the presentation by our third speaker, Tony Cabral. Tony's comprehensive skills with the pasteboards combined with his theatrical background and quick wit, made for a fun and entertaining talk and demo. It was really nice to get to know Tony and his lovely wife Sheeri. Their back and forth comedic banter reminded me of a modern version of the classic comedy duo Burns and Allen. Afterwards, we broke up into session groups to share more magic and camaraderie.
Following the dinner break it was time to assemble for the final speaker, me. Contrary to a certain Montreal odds maker, I kept to my promise to share material that I have never shared before. It was material from my SAM Gold Medal winning act which was also part of my one man show, "An Evening of Intimate Magic." My long time friend Bill Malone gave me a very funny yet a very sincere heartfelt introduction. The talk began with a 25 minute performance. At the conclusion of the performance, I spoke about my personal process when working on a magic piece. As an example of the process, I went into the details of the construction and theory of my three cups and balls routine. At the conclusion of the three hour talk, the packed house surprised me with a standing ovation. I'd like to thank Lance Pierce for the invitation and opportunity to speak at this wonderful assembly of magic enthusiasts and artists.
This may have been my first Pebblelooza, but I have a funny feeling it won't be my last.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 25th, 2015, 10:48 pm

here are some captured moments from PEBBLELOOZA 3

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 26th, 2015, 9:50 pm

SOME FINAL MEMORIES...

Return to “Buzz”