The Passing of Stan Kramien (1925-2015)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Charvet

The Passing of Stan Kramien (1925-2015)

Postby David Charvet » March 27th, 2015, 11:45 pm

It is with a heavy heart we announce the passing of Stan Kramien today, March 27, 2015, just a few weeks shy of his 90th birthday. He died peacefully while taking a nap. A public memorial will be announced at a future date.

Born May 9, 1925 in Portland, Oregon, Stan's 70-year, multi-faceted career saw him appearing in vaudeville, U.S.O., night clubs, radio, television, circus, sideshows, and most prominently for over 30 years touring North America with some of the largest illusion shows of the era, performing in as many as 200 cities a year.

He was recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Fellowship from the Academy of Magical Arts and was an Honorary Life Member for many years.

He influenced and inspired generations of magicians and entertainers and was one of the great showmen of his time.

Stan is survived by his son, Rick; daughter-in-law, Debra, and grandchildren Heather, Alex and Amanda.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The Passing of Stan Kramien (1925-2015)

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 28th, 2015, 12:36 am

So sorry to hear about this. My condolences to you, David, and of course to his family.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » March 28th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Sad news, indeed. My sympathy to all of his family and friends.

When I was just beginning my journey in magic and thrilled to find myself attending my first Abbott Get Together in the late 1970s, a fellow attendee approached me in the elementary school dealer showroom when I was sitting by myself thumbing through a new (to me) book I just purchased (I think it was Harry Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic.) Although he was dressed in a very relaxed manner, he carried himself quite professionally. He told me "That's a good book you got there" and then proceeded to chat me up about how I got interested in magic, what I liked and didn't like, what my goals were in studying magic and what I was looking to get out of the week in Colon. In seconds it was like talking to an old friend. We must have chatted about 30 minutes before he had to leave. The fellow was Stan Kramien, of course - and in our first meeting, I had no idea that I was talking to someone who truly was a seasoned pro on so many levels. It was only after the week was over that I learned how "big" Stan was in the world of magic. For the next couple of years we'd see each other at Abbott's and he'd always check in with me to see how I was doing, what new things I had learned, and to hear the experiences I had performing. He made me feel extremely special to get such attention and our conversations made me love magic even more.

Rest in Peace, Stan.

Brian

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 29th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Return to “Buzz”