No more Magic Castle?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

No more Magic Castle?

Postby Steve Bryant » March 4th, 2015, 9:18 am

According to Milt Larsen's latest blog here:

http://miltlarsen.tumblr.com/post/112651600669/blog-22

the AMA's recent actions to remove both Milt and the Magic Castle from the Magic Castle have reached the point of litigation.

erdnasephile

Re: No more Magic Castle?

Postby erdnasephile » March 4th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Ugh. Sounds like a mess.
Last edited by erdnasephile on March 4th, 2015, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » March 4th, 2015, 2:43 pm

As an outsider - would someone be able to summarise the AMA's position on the matter ?

If I understand Milt's position correctly - the AMA no longer wish to honour his fee in payment for "his conceiving and physically building a Magic Castle clubhouse at no cost to the AMA."

I'd be interested to know the AMA rationale / take ?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 4th, 2015, 3:09 pm

I am considering locking this thread before more misinformation gets out.

Milt is either ignoring his lawyer, has a bad lawyer, or his lawyer doesn't know about his public comments yet. No way does a good attorney allow this to happen, because a good attorney knows that member emotions and sentiment does not have any bearing on the law.

It is apparent to me that Milt is attempting to tug at member emotions and sentiment. He has taken Erika's comments from the latest newsletter completely out of context; a reading of the part he left out proves that. I am quite disappointed in him.

To the best of my knowledge, this is about a renegotiation of a long-term contract. It is not about removing the name "The Magic Castle" or its founder. Any side saying that is, in my opinion, acting irresponsibly.

The Magic Castle cannot operate without the AMA and the AMA does not exist without The Magic Castle. Both sides know this. The rest is just rhetoric.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » March 4th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Hi Dustin

I'd urge you not to lock this thread. I think it can - for the time being - provide insight for those not familiar with the setup at the Castle / AMA.

Who holds the main lease for the property ? Milt ? Does he sub-let to the AMA ?

Milt mentions "The AMA has chosen its destiny - to become as important as the I.B.M., S.A.M., and the London’s Magic Circle. Bill and I only wanted the AMA to become the most talked about magic club in the world."

Is this reference to a stated change in direction for the AMA ? How was the AMA previously not as important as SAM / IBM ?

I hope the parties can find common ground.
Last edited by CraigMitchell on March 4th, 2015, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 4th, 2015, 3:30 pm

The AMA holds and pays for the lease.
Milt owns the trademarked name, "The Magic Castle."
The AMA pays him a fee for that.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » March 4th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Assuming the worst comes to the worst - and the parties were to split ways ( which we hope does not come to be ) what does Milt own of the property ? Furniture ? Fittings ? Special fx ?

With the AMA holding the lease - is there any obstacle to the continued operation of the Club simply under its own AMA banner ... would it not effectively be business as usual ?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 4th, 2015, 5:11 pm

With some exceptions being possible, I am unaware of any fixtures inside the Castle that are owned by Milt. All of that was taken care of quite a long time ago.

Look, the Magic Castle will always be called that, just like a lot of people still call the Chinese Theatre "Grauman's Chinese Theatre" even though it hasn't been that for over 40 years.

The legal difference will be, in a worst-case scenario, that the AMA cannot use the name "The Magic Castle" in its marketing and other dealings. Do you suppose that will that stop people from calling it "The Magic Castle"?

Milt owns the name. He deserves to be paid a fee for that. I am unaware of anyone in the AMA who does not think that. The AMA is trying to renegotiate the current contract. Sometimes that process gets problematic and leads to mediation (versus litigation; a word that should not have been used in this context). We should allow the system to work.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 4th, 2015, 5:48 pm

I do not want anyone making statements here based on facts that are not totally clear to anyone but Milt Larsen and the Board of Directors of the Academy of Magical Arts.

There is no litigation happening.

If any members of the AMA had read the recent AMA newsletter, you would know that expenses for the year were given and Milt's royalty was $400,000 last year.

There is NO threat to the AMA or The Magic Castle.

End of current news.

If anyone has any hard facts to add, that's fine, otherwise let it rest until the facts emerge.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”