Derek DelGaudio: Oscars Writer

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Derek DelGaudio: Oscars Writer

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 17th, 2015, 10:55 pm

And he's not a magician according to this Los Angeles Times piece on Neil Patrick Harris and the Oscars. Discover his profession here ...
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

Brad Henderson

Re: Derek DelGaudio: Oscars Writer

Postby Brad Henderson » February 17th, 2015, 11:30 pm

I had thought Derek had written or talked about embracing 'magic' and 'magician' at one point. Did I misremember that?

The realities of show biz are what they are.

regardless I hope the show has some interesting content that reflects both His and Neil's more eccentric interests.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am

This is almost too obvious to even write, but a subject has no control over what a reporter writes about him, or how s/he chooses to label him.

That being said, I don't think I know anyone who embraces the label "magician" more fiercely than DelGaudio. When "Nothing to Hide" was getting ready to open off-Broadway, the producers, wanting to avoid the word "magic" tried to come up with other artsy labels to describe the show. Derek insisted that the show be referred to as "a magic show" in all the publicity and advertising.

However, magician is not the only thing he is. He is also a performance artist. He is also a writer, and a producer, and consultant, among other things. Those labels have been and will be slapped on him in future publications, but it won't be because he's avoiding the label "magician".

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 18th, 2015, 12:57 am

Thanks John. I hope no one came away with the idea that I thought it was Derek who told the writer to call him that, otherwise I would have said something like, "He doesn't refer to himself as a magician... ." I did say "according to according to this Los Angeles Times piece... ." I posted this because I think it's pretty dang cool that Derek is working on the Oscars.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 18th, 2015, 12:01 pm

John, I think you see an attack that isn't being made.

I apparently did recall Derek's position on 'magician' and it is unfortunate that in the world of show business that title gets replaced by other credits, descriptors.

The issue isn't derek - the issue is the value system in the wide world of big time show business, that leads to writers privileging performance artist over magician, even when the person puts so much value on the latter.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » February 18th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Brad, I didn't think that you (or Dustin) were attacking him, but your message did read a little snarky. Your follow up makes it clear that that was not your intention. But there were points I wanted to make even if I hadn't sensed that.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 18th, 2015, 3:38 pm

just because I'm usually an ass doesn't mean I'm always an ass.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » February 19th, 2015, 2:01 am

And we appreciate your inconsistency.

Return to “Buzz”