The March issue of Genii is Now Live Online for Subscribers

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The March issue of Genii is Now Live Online for Subscribers

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2015, 9:10 pm

I'm pleased to announce the online publication of the March issue of Genii (the paper edition has already been shipped to subscribers).

On our cover is one of the world's greatest living film makers, Woody Allen, in a marvelous interview and article written by John Lovick. This is not a gratuitous exercise just to get a famous face on our cover—Woody Allen was, and is a cardman. He loves magic and always has since he was bitten by the same bug as all of us as a young teen.

It’s hard to imagine someone invoking Maynard G. Krebs, Aristophanes, Cyrano de Bergerac, Neil Gaiman, Shakespeare, Homer (not Simpson), Disneyland, Nebraska, and Quantum Mechanics in a column about magic … and it’s not Mr. Racherbaumer! The perpetrator is Jonathan Pendragon, and you’ll have to read this month’s “Panmagium” to sort it all out.

David Kaye, in “The Expert at the Kids’ Table,” talks about the end of childhood and the demise of the Tooth Fairy and Santa. A bit of innocence lost … and how a kids’ show magician should handle it.

Roberto Giobbi is in love with “gestalt.” It’s not something to be spread on rye bread, you know. Or even something to be taken lightly. Gestalt (in our field) is the nexus where all the various bits and bobs of which magic consist come together and whirl into some greater whole … in “The Genii Session.”

In “Lost Horizons” Max Maven, with the help of the sinister specter of a deceased black cat, raises a bit of a ruckus … séance style.

This month Jon Racherbaumer continues his cultural explorations through literature, and David Oliver, John Lovick, and Dustin Stinett write our reviews of “stuff” in all forms.

We have audio columns from Max Maven (about his recent trip to the site of this summer's FISM in Italy) and Jon Racherbaumer (who ponders never-to-be-answered questions about Erdnase). There is a funny 18 minute video of my trip around the dealer's room at the Columbus Magi-Fest; video in Magicana, and more surprises.

Enjoy!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Re: The March issue of Genii is Now Live Online for Subscrib

Postby erdnasephile » February 17th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Kudos to Messrs. Lovick and Kaufman for that interview with Mr. Allen. That's quite a "get"!

Also, sadly, had I waited to buy until after reading the product reviews this month, I would have saved a bunch of money on some dreck that I purchased a few weeks ago.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2015, 11:29 pm

We all have our share of dreck, I'm afraid.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 17th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Lovick did an exceptionally fine job with the Woody Allen interview/ cover story.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 18th, 2015, 12:21 am

Thanks, Chris, I thought so, too.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 18th, 2015, 3:35 pm

" . . . put in the countless hours you need to practice."

" . . . in order to do it well, you really have to put in a tremendous amount of practice."

" . . . I just didn't have the time. You really need a concert pianist's dedication to that."

-- Woody Allen on close-up

Thanks to John Lovick for a fine niche portrait of this great artist. Thanks to RK for publishing it.

His words should be required reading for every budding, beginner, or intermediate magician.

Return to “Buzz”