Close Up Kings on TV?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Close Up Kings on TV?

Postby Magic Newswire » January 30th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this? I just stumbled across i by accident:
http://www.hulu.com/close-up-kings

It is a series running on SyFy along with Wizard Wars

NYCJoePItt

Re: Close Up Kings on TV?

Postby NYCJoePItt » January 30th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Here is what I shared over at the cafe this morning...

I watched 75% of the show this morning. While I like Magick, Johnny, and Loki as magicians, and I like their magic, I was only luke warm about the show. The main problem was that the scripting was just TERrible. It was a huge NYC tourist commercial. I dunno, maybe Joe Public will find that exciting, it put me to sleep. Some of the fliming was really not great and sort of borderline exposure of the closeup effects. Maybe I'm just too picky and I know too much. But the premise of walking around Manhattan until we come up with a trick worthy of Houdini was a bit of a bore. And Magick is really the only of the three that has a personality large enough for TV, but sometimes he strikes me as a bit of an overexcited adolescent.

I'm always thrilled when magic gets a shot at TV and gets some exposure on the networks. I wish this special had better writers and producers attached to the project. I think my favorite moment was when Loki charmed the young woman at the bar with the French Kiss bar trick. It was the only 'honest' moment in the show. And the magic was good. You could see that Loki was affected as much as the woman.

I'll probably finish watching the rest of it tonight.

Return to “Buzz”