Criss Angel review

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rick Ruhl

Criss Angel review

Postby Rick Ruhl » January 22nd, 2015, 1:17 am

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Criss Angel review

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2015, 1:46 am

For the past decade or so, magician Criss Angel has made a name for himself by pushing the physical boundaries of illusions: levitating high above a Las Vegas hotel, escaping from a strait jacket while suspended upside down with a weight around his neck, being submerged in a locked water tank.

So when Angel performed a magic show in the first of two sold-out appearances Tuesday at Easton’s State Theatre that was perfectly entertaining but nothing approaching those famous illusions, it couldn’t help but be something of a disappointment.

A problem that Mark Wilson started warning the magic community about decades ago. (Ahhh...but what does he know, right?)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 22nd, 2015, 12:12 pm

yeah, but what do critics know???

as I commented during believe - the camera tricks are still the best part of Angel's show.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2015, 1:29 pm

Both shows were sold out. I predict that he will continue to sell out live shows if he picks smaller venues ... so he can say that they're "sold out."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 22nd, 2015, 1:45 pm

I attended one of his sold out shows in Vegas. We were the only people in our row and out section was largely empty.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 22nd, 2015, 2:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Both shows were sold out. I predict that he will continue to sell out live shows if he picks smaller venues ... so he can say that they're "sold out."

I'm not a Criss Angel fan at all, but to be fair, it seems that even David Copperfield performs in a somewhat small (740 seat capacity - MGM Grand) venue these days. The venue mentioned in the CA show review accomodates twice that, which wouldn't be shabby at all if he truly sold it out.

On a related note, I try to avoid venues (like the Copperfield theatre at the MGM Grand) that are built around tables rather than proper forward facing seats. Am I the only one that doesn't care for this kind of seating?

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » January 23rd, 2015, 12:31 pm

A friend attended the show at Luxor in august 2013, just finishing Magic Live (thursday)
I think these particular days are high season in Vegas.
He told me he purchased seats on one section and was upgraded to a better seat due the low number of audience.
We both went to P&T show the saturday before Magic Live and was really sold out. A friend from Texas told me he wanted to purchase a ticket the same day but wasn't any more at the office.

I think it is a very common publicity "stunt" to claim "sold out". For example The Illusionists in Mexico City, they have performed in a very hugh building with 10,000 seats. Was claimed they sold out, It isn't true. I really enjoyed the shows (both versions) but I know they not sold out the Auditorio Nacional. Some sections was closed and most performances people was rearranged in the lowers areas. In this case I prefer a smaller theater really sold out than a hugh auditorium with empty levels.

And as Chris Aguilar, I prefer "regular" seats facing forward rather than around a table.
Andres Reynoso

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 23rd, 2015, 1:07 pm

Andres Reynoso wrote:I think it is a very common publicity "stunt" to claim "sold out".

Pro sports teams do it too. My local NBA franchise (the execrable Sacramento Kings) claimed "sell outs" for years using all kinds of tricks (giving away tickets, closing off sections, not counting certain seats as empty, etc.) to pass off that fiction.

And as Chris Aguilar, I prefer "regular" seats facing forward rather than around a table.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate being shoved on to a tiny table (often with complete strangers if going as a couple) with sideway facing seats and often a tiny stage and execrable sight lines.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » January 23rd, 2015, 3:43 pm

From ticket tricks to seat fillers for shows broadcast live to taped for broadcast, of course it's a sell out! (And here comes a quotable for you) Chris Angel: Master of the Sell Out!

As far as seating in Las Vegas goes, I always thought those skinny tables and the awkward chair positioning was the next carnival game in the vein of Cover The Spot - only in this case it should be called "Find A Spot" since between your table tent cards, menus, programs, drinks, bottles, ice buckets, hands, elbows, legs, and feet (and heaven forbid a woman should have even a clutch purse), if everything will fit, it's likely that it will only do so in one way.

Return to “Buzz”