New book: The Incredible Dr Jaks

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

New book: The Incredible Dr Jaks

Postby Ted M » December 27th, 2014, 7:29 pm

This appears to be a combination biography and collected tricks of Dr Jaks, a collaboration between Leo Behnke and the late Bob Bluemle, published by Ken Klosterman. 296 pages.

http://salondemagie.com/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New book: The Incredible Dr Jaks

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 27th, 2014, 8:32 pm

There are both regular and collector's editions. I believe it will be reviewed by John Lovick in our March issue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 27th, 2014, 8:37 pm

There is an interesting article on Dr. Jaks by Leo Behnke in the October 2014 issue of Magic.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 17th, 2015, 11:32 am

I just got my copy and spent a day studying it. It's a great book. It has some shortcomings that are probably only evident to book publishers, and there are references that I wish had been included, but other than that, I really enjoyed the book. Most importantly, a couple of the effects inspired me to come up with some variations. If anyone is interested, I'll post them here.

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » January 17th, 2015, 11:55 am

Interested Bob, interested!
Only part way through but have been enjoying it very much.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 3rd, 2015, 7:36 am

Here's the real problem with the Dr. Jaks book: it doesn't include Barry Wiley's research. If you are a Dr. Jaks fan, the book is a required, though, pricey acquisition, but you also need a copy of Gibecière, Volume 9, Number 2 which may be available at:

http://conjuringarts.org/

Barry's essay is thoroughly enjoyable and comprehensive and one wonders: how could Ken Klosterman, publisher of the Dr. Jaks book, have missed this!?

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » February 4th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Here's the real problem with the Dr. Jaks book: it doesn't include Barry Wiley's research. If you are a Dr. Jaks fan, the book is a required, though, pricey acquisition, but you also need a copy of Gibecière, Volume 9, Number 2 which may be available at:

http://conjuringarts.org/

Barry's essay is thoroughly enjoyable and comprehensive and one wonders: how could Ken Klosterman, publisher of the Dr. Jaks book, have missed this!?

According to the Salon de Magie website, Robert Bluemle had completed the Jaks book before he passed away in May 2014. The book, published by Ken Klosterman with Leo Behnke's approval, went on sale in late December 2014.

Gibeciere Volume 9 Number 2 is the "Summer" issue for 2014. I haven't been able to find out when that issue came out [edit: September?], but it seems unlikely that time would have allowed for the incorporation of Barry Wiley's essay into the Bluemle/Behnke book, even if Mr Wiley and Conjuring Arts had consented.

Return to “Buzz”