The January Issue of iGenii is now Live

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The January Issue of iGenii is now Live

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 17th, 2014, 12:21 pm

The January Issue of Genii
Richard Kaufman

For only $35 you can purchase a digital subscription to the largest-selling magic magazine in the world. Every month you'll receive a new digital issue which can be read on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, and that includes access to every single issue of Genii published since 1936--57,000 pages. Subscribers to Genii are entitled to visit to The Magic Castle each year--just one of the many perks we offer. Visit www.geniimagazine.com/subscribe-now

We offer special bonus premiums to those who subscribe, renew, or extend their subscriptions (add a year and it's yours).

With one or two year subscriptions pick one:

* Deceptive Practices: Ricky Jay (1 DVD), normally $30, only $15 postpaid.

* The Skinner Tapes (13 discs), normally $125, only $25 plus postage.

* The Berglas Effects (400 page book with 3 DVDs), normally $140, only $25 plus postage.

With three year subscriptions add to the above choices:

* The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard (book), normally $70, only $15 plus postage.

* Talisman (book), normally $75, only $15 plus postage.

The digital version of Genii's January 2015 issue is now live at www.geniimagazine.com

When Italy was chosen to present the 2015 FISM World Championships, a cheer went up from everyone who was happy to see this grand competition/convention return to Europe. The man who made the pitch was Walter Rolfo, profiled in our cover story by Max Maven. Videos in our digital edition

At the last Los Angeles Conference on Magic History, our Associate Editor Mr. Stinett gave an excellent talk on Earl Lockman, an escape artist and magician who trouped through the United States during the mid-20th century. Dustin has turned his talk into an article and you’ll find “Locks Can’t Lock Lockman.” A video in our digital edition.

Max Maven and Jon Racherbaumer provide audio columns you'll only find in our digital edition.

We have an insightful obituary of the British magician Bobby Bernard by the alarmingly busy Brian Sibley.

The suicide of Robin Williams in 2014 prompted his friend and magician Jay Alexander to discuss his many years of performing for the famous comedian and actor at his annual Thanksgiving party. Jim Steinmeyer leads the interview.

Dale Salwak, a professor of English Lit in real life, examines the many intersections of teaching and magic.

Barry Wiley has been fascinated by the fraudulent medium Ana Eva Fay for many years. We featured his biography of Fay, The Indescribable Phenomenon (Hermetic Press), on our cover years ago. His interest has not abated, and this month we present an excerpt from his novel A Spirit of Fraud.

Andi Gladwin brings you three great tricks and a video in “Magicana,” including a fantastic Card at Any Number. Videos in our digital edition.

David Kaye zeroes in on the technology that has rapidly become the gold standard in children’s shows in “The Expert at the Kids’ Table.” Max Maven does a rare bit of card trickery in “Lost Horizons” and holes his deck. * The title “Dr. Rohnstein’s ‘The Day-Fly’” yields no clue as to the subject of John Gaughan’s “Chamber of Secrets” this month. * Jonathan Pendragon discusses his reluctance to saw women in half, and how he cleared up his thoughts on the matter in “Panmagium.” * For the first month of the new year, tricks are reviewed by David Regal, books by David Britland (including the much-discussed new Dai Vernon book), and videos by Dustin Stinett.

* Every month Genii gives paper subscribers a FREE digital issue with supplementary video and audio columns that can be viewed on ANY computer, desktop or laptop, as well as on any tablet or smartphone, and we have special apps for both the iPad and iPhone, as well as for Android tablets and the Kindle Fire. We do NOT charge you a penny extra for your digital copy of Genii, and unlike other magazines we give you the entire magazine including embedded audio and video in digital form for free.

Visit www.geniimagazine.com and subscribe today! Subscriptions start at only $35 worldwide for digital-only service, and $58 for a subscription that includes both paper and digital magazines.

Visit The Genii Forum, the "smart" online discussion group: www.forums.geniimagazine.com
Visit MagicPedia, the most complete online encyclopedia of magical information with almost 5,000 entries. It's a living encyclopedia to which you are welcome to contribute! www.magicpedia.net
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Re: The January Issue of iGenii is now Live

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 17th, 2014, 10:06 pm

I've added a video of Bobby Bernard to his obit, which comes courtesy of Bill McIlhaney and the Magic Circle, shot in 1956, in which he performs the Downs Coin Star and a few other items.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 19th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I'm enjoying how "More Genii Speaks" is evolving into a variety show, with dealer demos and a puppet show.

(My favorite remains the dancing Rob Zabrecky finger puppet...)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2014, 5:15 pm

We'll be giving away nicely-printed copies of that Rob Zabrecky magic set at the Genii Convention, where Rob will be happy to sign your very own copy of his finger puppet.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » December 19th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Regarding "Genii Speaks" is it my imagination or is Richard starting to sport a Houdini-like, part in the middle type hair style?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Damn hair is abandoning my head like rats from a sinking ship. Various manners of combing and brushing take place.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 21st, 2014, 10:14 am

I see I'm getting the 'you don't have any active subscriptions' message when trying to access the iPad app. Haven't tried on the computer as yet. I'm wondering if there have been any recent upgrades which have screwed up subscriber records?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 21st, 2014, 11:36 am

Andrew, please contact Margret on Monday.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » December 21st, 2014, 11:51 am

I had the exact same problem after installing iOS versions 8.1 and 8.1.1 Deleting and re-installing the iGenii app fixed the problem both times, but I lost my downloaded digital issues and had to download them again.

I just updated to iOS 8.1.2 and had no problems this time. Everything works like it should. I cannot say if this is a common problem as no one else seems to have complained about this. It seems that not every iPad reacts the same way. Weird business.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 21st, 2014, 11:57 am

Thanks Bill.

I've tried the computer and all looks fine there.
Will try the iPad again later and take it from there.

Regards

Andrew

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » December 30th, 2014, 1:26 pm

My iPad2 just did this trick again, so I guess I do not know what is going on, either. I have not updated the iOS since my earlier post, so my joy in believing that the problem was corrected was short-lived. Perhaps we both shall just have to live with the situation. It does not take too long to re-download the issues I want to read off-line, but it is a hassle.

I really do not understand why the system on the iPad loses track of my subscription status. I have no such problem on my desktop Mac.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 30th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Hi Bill

Yes, I eventually deleted the app and re-installed it and all looked to be ok. Will see what happens when I attempt to download the next issue.

That's the first time I've encountered this problem, I'm hoping it will be a one- off.

Definitely a problem with the Apple iPhone and iPad app as the Android app (and iGenii) is fine.

Andrew

Return to “Buzz”