Is Amazon allowed to print the books it sells?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andres Reynoso

Is Amazon allowed to print the books it sells?

Postby Andres Reynoso » November 5th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Hi everybody.

I heard that Amazon wants to print the books that are unavailable at its warehouses. some like "if the provider doesn't supplies me more, then I can manufacture them"

I just purchased "Beyond deception V2" by Tobias Beckwith, advertised with "Publisher: Triple Muse Publications; 1st Edition edition (April 25, 2014)" and "Landscape painted with tea" by Milorad Pavic, advertised as "Publisher: Vintage; 1st Vintage International ed edition (October 1, 1991)". My surprise was when I noticed Beckwith book was printed slighty misaligned and at the end states "printed in October 30, 2014". Pavic's book was printed on that date too.

Beckwith's book, in the copyrights page, states printed by CreateSpace and Amazon.com, and as Beckwith himself in the Jeff McBride's e-mail letter invited to purchase the book from Amazonso it seems is originally planned this way. But what about Pavic's book?

Is it legal? The publishers are receiving the royalties?

If I was promised with a 1991 1st edition I expect a 1991 1st edition. Or they are playing with "1st edition, Nth reprint"?
Andres Reynoso

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Re: Is Amazon allowed to print the books it sells?

Postby Gordon Meyer » November 5th, 2014, 8:05 pm

That's how print on demand works. It's printed when you order it.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » November 6th, 2014, 11:46 am

Yes Gordon. I can imagine Tobias Beckwith's book is a print on demand one as names CreateSpace. But Milorad Pavic's is not a CreateSpace book, is a Vintage book, division from Random House and is advertised as first edition 1991, not as a print on demand book.

I have heard in Europe Amazon is having a lot of troubles regarding agresive practices with their book suppliers including the desire to print themselves when existences run out. It could be the case?
Andres Reynoso

lybrary

Postby lybrary » November 6th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Andres, if you want to find out I suggest you contact Random House or Vintage and inquire.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 6th, 2014, 1:10 pm

If the "edition" (I don't think we are using that word as formally as a bibliographer would) is important to you, ask for a refund.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » November 6th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Was Amazon the actual seller, or did you buy it from a 3rd party seller through Amazon?

Return to “Buzz”