Digital Edition of Genii's November Issue Now Live!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Digital Edition of Genii's November Issue Now Live!

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2014, 3:10 pm

The digital edition of Genii's November issue is now live and can be viewed on all your computers, tablets, and cellphones. (I'm eager to see how it looks on my new iPhone 6 Plus!)

In Beijing in September I had the pleasure of seeing Alana, a German magician: it was great to see her act. I enjoyed it not only because it’s unusual, but because Alana had a professional stage presence that was impressive because she’s still young. Her background story is not the usual “I got a magic set”—she comes from a family of magicians and has been performing since age 5. And, as a woman, she has an interesting point of view about performing that I found refreshing. We have some nice videos of her performances in our digital edition.

Heading toward completion of my massive book on Tenyo, and having studied about 500 tricks they’ve marketed over the past half century, it’s still a thrill when they debut their new line of tricks each year. This happens at the annual Tenyo Festival each September, which is so popular that the tickets are allocated by lottery. Fortunately, my right-hand man on the Tenyo book, Yuki Kadoya, was able to attend the festival. He created a short film which you’ll find in our digital edition which also shows demonstrations of the four new items. There are some marvelous new tricks this year, and we have full descriptions in this issue.

When I saw Lubor Fiedler in August last summer, he seemed a remarkably spry 80 year-old man. We sat in his hotel room and went over the prototypes of his Tenyo tricks for the book I’m working on; I shot lots of video, and Dustin Stinett spent time with him for Lubor’s own book. We had a splendid visit—what a sweet, generous, and wonderful man he was. Mysterious, too: he loved to fool us, which he did time and time again, and resolutely refused to explain how certain things were done, and all the while his eyes twinkled mischievously. Lubor had no enemies, only friends whom he regularly amazed with some of the most ingenious magic ever devised. I was driving to the airport at the beginning of September, about to get on that plane to Beijing, when Mark Setteducati called me with the news that Lubor had died in late August. The death of someone who’s 81 shouldn’t feel like a body blow, but it did. He had much more magic to create, and so many more people to delight. Since Lubor was just on our cover earlier this year, rather than a conventional obituary I asked Mark to write a more personal piece. There are also two videos of Lubor in action in our digital issue—a fond memory and farewell to our friend.

Exclusive to the digital version of this month’s issue is an incredible routine by Al Schneider, "Zombie Zombie," a new version of his famous “Close-Up Zombie” using a puppet made by Axtell. Most folks fail to recognize how influential Al’s “Close-Up Zombie” routine has been over the decades. Describing his new routine properly takes 10 full pages, and so we’ve made it a bonus at the end of the digital edition.

Columnists? We have the best: Al Cohen explains how even magic dealers can get scammed: John Gaughan spreads his tail feathers and proudly displays an automaton; Roberto Giobbi digs deep into the details; David Britland keeps his “Oil and Water” short, sweet, and simple; David Kaye assists you in choosing who assists you; Jonathan Pendragon floats some ideas about hoops and wires; Daniel Ulin reaches his first anniversary as a Knight at The Magic Castle; Andi Gladwin brings you three fabulous tricks and a new “Modern Magicana” video; and John Lovick, Joe M. Turner, Dustin Stinett, and Danny Orleans (look for his video in the digital edition) tell you about the latest goodies.

If you like what you're reading, please consider subscribing! It's only $35 for a digital subscription anywhere in the world, and I'm about to announce some new premiums when you subscribe that will make it even more tempting.

www.geniimagazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Digital Edition of Genii's November Issue Now Live!

Postby Ted M » October 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm

...and my paper issue just arrived!

I am enjoying the best of both worlds.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 20th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Haven't had a chance to look yet, but is there also video of Al Schneider doing that Zombie routine? I always heard his handling was great and wanted to see it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2014, 11:27 pm

No, there is video of Al. However, there are so many photos that it's pretty easy to get a good idea how it looks.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » October 21st, 2014, 4:05 pm

Max's December audio column seems to be mislabeled and attached to the November issue?

Al Cohen's column on getting scammed as a dealer was a hoot!

Will there be more columns from Dani DaOrtiz, or has A La Carte concluded?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2014, 4:24 pm

I got confused (it happens when you're working months ahead, on several issues at once, and suffering from jetlag on a trip to Tokyo). I accidentally asked Max for an audio column for the December issue, when it was actually for the November issue. Mea Culpa. He's none too happy!

Today I received a new column from Dani DaOrtiz for the December issue, and am glad for that!

Ted M

Postby Ted M » October 21st, 2014, 4:36 pm

Hooray! Dani's column is a major highlight in Genii! I'm glad it continues!

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 22nd, 2014, 5:55 pm

It might just be me, but the digital (iGenii) version viewed through Chrome seems to end on page 107...

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 22nd, 2014, 6:55 pm

That is correct. The print edition is 96 pages. The added 11 pages--the Zombie Zombie by Al Schneider--is digital-only bonus material.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 22nd, 2014, 7:38 pm

It was addressed in my Genii Speaks video.

Return to “Buzz”