Phil Willmarth has passed

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andrew Pinard

Phil Willmarth has passed

Postby Andrew Pinard » September 16th, 2014, 10:52 am

Sammy Smith just posted on his Facebook account that Phil Willmarth passed away this morning (09.16.14). According to Sammy: "Phil was Assistant Editor and Executive Editor of The Linking Ring for almost thirty years." He leaves behind his devoted wife, Robbie.

I had the pleasure of meeting Phil on many occasions and I always enjoyed his conversations and perspective on the magic world.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

ajp

JimAlfredson

Re: Phil Willmarth has passed

Postby JimAlfredson » September 16th, 2014, 11:40 am

Phil was a sensible soul, as well as being a nice guy, with whom I had many'a candid conversation on the state-of-the-art. His hard work on behalf of the IBM, and his contributions to the Chicago magic scene will not be soon forgotten, and I can certainly say I valued his friendship greatly. You'll be missed by many, old friend. Thanks.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 16th, 2014, 12:06 pm

I corresponded with him a few times, and he was really nice and generous with his time. His book on Matt Schulien is a classic, and I believe he was greatly influential in getting Eugene Burger's early works into print (and thus, helped transform my magical thinking forever).

RIP, Mr. Willmarth.
Last edited by erdnasephile on September 16th, 2014, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 16th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Very sorry to hear this. We should also take note of Mr. Willmarth's authorship of The Magic of Matt Schulien and writing and publishing the early Eugene Burger small booklets, which were excellent.

I met him only once, at The Magic Circle Centenary Celebrations in London in 2005.

Matt Field

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 16th, 2014, 12:11 pm

I got an email from his daughter Janet this afternoon, where she said

We were all with Dad and are grateful that he is free from pain and worry.

Dad loved magic and his life was rich because of all it brought him, especially the friendships.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » September 16th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Phil was a really nice person and published some important books focusing mostly on Chicago magic and magicians, including the Jim Ryan series, early Eugene Burger works, and his classic Matt Schulien book. More recently he published a collection of material by his good friend Trevor Lewis of Wales and a revised edition of his friend Peter Tappan's Impostress Princess book. He was also a fixture at FFFF for many years. He'll be missed by his many, many friends, which I imagine includes almost everyone who spent any time with him.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 16th, 2014, 12:31 pm

I had some correspondence with Phil up until his illness, very nice guy. I got the message from Janet (as Ian) that the whole family was with him at the end.

Tom

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 16th, 2014, 1:59 pm

His books changed my life, and it was a joy to share some lunches with him at Collectors events in Chicago.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 16th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this. I can only echo what has already been said: he was a lovely man and I always enjoyed the (too few) times our paths crossed. My condolences to his family and countless friends.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 16th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Phil's contribution to magic, especially close-up magic, and specifically Chicago close-up magic is enormous. The books he wrote and published have been so influential and inspirational to so many. They will still be referred to in the next century.

I know he was working on a book about Irv Weiner and his magic. I don't know how far he got with it, but hopefully far enough that it can be published.

RIP Phil.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 16th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Phil was New School with one solid foot in Old School with a dedicated fraternal spirit. Others have noted his literary input with coverage of the Chicago Scene, but let's not forget that he was among the first to usher in the ring-and-rope stuff (not finger rings)_, plus the Knot Collection material. He was also a mainstay at FFFF. His contribution to the Linking Ring will unlikely be matched. During some rough patches in the past and once confided an old saying: "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on." We hear the sound of taps more frequently these days and we lament the passing of mainstays, veterans, and leaders. Now we sadly add Phil's name to the list.

Farewell, Phil…
RIP

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » September 16th, 2014, 10:22 pm

I think I have known Phil for almost as long as I have been in magic. He was always around. Whether it was FFFF, Abbott's, IBM or smaller convention, he always sought me out so we could share some time together.
Phil had told me of his illness over two years ago but preferred to keep it to just his closest friends. In his words, he had been blessed and lived a good full life.
He was a quiet behind the scenes guy with magic. Though may have been in the upper ranks of organizations and such, he never acted like it.
There was a strange void at FFFF and Abbott this year without Phil.
Rest in peach my friend. I am glad that your suffering has ended and you are at peace.
When you get a chance, check for me and see if Heaven runs on Jay Marshall time as I want to be ready.
Thoughts and prayers are with Robbie and the family.
Phil life was one of not only duration but of donation. He gave some much to so many.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Memorial Service Information Just Received:

Friday, September 26, 2014 at 1:00 p.m.
Chapel of the Cross
304 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine